• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 1Dx Mark II (and 5D Mark IV) - Configuring extra details of AF-On and * button (1 Viewer)

mikenott

Flawed but improving!
England
I may be slow to realise this, but i was browsing photography forums when I found an interesting reference to configuring details of the AF-On and * buttons of the 1DxII whilst using back button focusing. Believe it is also for the 5DIV.

When you use Custom Controls to specify using the AF-On button, there is another sub-menu which allows you to specify additional specific camera properties - including AF Servo or One Shot, which focus points are to be used (spot, nine point, full set etc.) and which Focus Case 1-6 to use . As you can also programme the * button in the same way, after setting it up appropriately it is possible to switch some key parameters to suit a changing situation just by moving your thumb from AF On to the * button and vice versa. For example, AF On can be used for single shot, spot focus + your chosen Focus Case (static bird) and the * button for AI Servo, nine point focus and different(?) Focus Case (BIF). Of course other parameters (shutter speed, Aperture and ISO) still need to be set, but it seems a very useful tool to allow quick changes in the field or as the situation unfolds in front of you..

I was wondering how others may have set up their buttons for bird photography and hope they will share them.....

And if anybody knows a simple way to change Custom Modes on the fly by doing something similar that would be useful :)

Michael

Set your MFN button to "C" then individually set the custom settings in a format that suits. I tend to alternate mine between flight and static situations.One press of the MFN takes you to the next setting .
For custom controls you have to decide if you want the setting to revert to the original setting or the last entered setting when you leave it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back