• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion how to mount m2 regal (1 Viewer)

larsenan

Hi i just got a celestron regal m2 80 , and also a Baader Hyperion eyepeace 17mm.

I can take the zoom eye peace out of the scope, by loosing the lowest ring and pull it out. there is a metal cylinder in the end, but there is not in the Baader Hyperion

Most astro eyepieces have straight barrels that unscrew. Usually 1.25 inch, but also 2 inches and old 0.965 inches.
Maybe the barrel got unscrewed?
Or as above, the barrel is separate and needs to be screwed in.

Baader astronomy barrel

Did you buy this eyepiece new?..the hyperions are modular eyepieces and the barrels can be dettached from the main body..also they can be fine "tunned" with a series of rings,that modify the focal lenght..If you bought the eyepiece new,all parts should be included ,and would be surprising if the 1 1/4 astronomy was missing!!
If it was dettached but you have it ,you just have to screw it to the eyepiece and you are good to go..By the way,the newer versions,unlike the picture posted by Joaquim,feature a black anodized barrel,instead of the chromed one

thanks for your answer, i am completly new to spotting scope so i was confused, and stupid try to put the wrong end off the Baader Hyperion eyepeace i to the regal m2.
Now i was more calm i i saw the mistake , so it is fix now, but it is dark so i has not been looking in it yet.

Yes i can screw a ring off in the end a i looking into and take a loose glass out.
can i just remove that extra glass and make the eyepease shorter?

that eyepeace i bought https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0018IOXGU/ref=pe_3044161_189395811_TE_dp_2

Last edited:
When putting the negative Barlow lens back in, make sure it is the right way round. There are probably two possibilities.
The position within the barrel also causes sometimes large changes in magnifications.
Some Barlows are 2x to 3x depending on position, but can be greater differences with sometimes reduced quality.

They are available for camera lenses when they are called teleconverters. Sometimes 4 to 7 elements. Sometimes matched to specific lenses.

For scopes usually two or three elements, sometimes higher quality with better glass.

If you didnt have very clear what end goes inside the scope and what end is to look through,I would not mess much with the eyepiece,!,,for now!

fit the eyepiece to the scope ,now that you know how and watch birds..
the celestron Regal Zoom is a nice eyepiece by the way,..A zoom eyepiece is very useful tool,and fun,specially for beginners,allowing you to learn the use and limitations of your scope...That 17mm eyepiece falls in the middle of your zoom range,and its a very useful magnification,probably the most used ..but you will find that lower and higher powers are a must ..
the REgal zoom has a pleasant Field of view at all magnifications..perhaps a tad wider angle than standard
8-24 zoom,and it is sharp with good contrast..My advice is to use that Zoom for now,learn to aim the scope and properly focus ..
maybe get some information and learn how to know if your scope is a good sample ,making some tests at high power..

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back