• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (6 Viewers)

Angus Glens

I had a great day up in the Angus Glens yesterday with Stonefaction. We had arranged this day last month primarily so that I could trial Barry's P900 camera, however, the list of birds that I was told might be found was extremely mouthwatering and worth the trip in itself.

En route to Dundee to pick Barry up in the morning, I was well ahead of schedule, so I dropped in at Letham Pools for half an hour. Here, I was able to pick up my first Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat of the year.

Picking Barry up in Dundee, we headed up to the glens. It was my first time in this area, so Barry was guide & navigator for the day. We stopped briefly in Edzell to get the camera set up and for me to get a bit of instruction, then we headed away up the glen.

First stop was an area that had potential for Redstart. Redstart would be a first for me, and Barry needed it for his year list. Leaving the car in a small lay-by, we scouted about in this woodland location. It was here I think, that we found our first Red Kite of the day - a bird I haven't seen a lot of. Also, a distant Raven was seen.

With bird song all around, I was amazed when Barry was able to detect a Redstart out of the multitude of songs. This is a skill I'm definitely going to have to work on, as it became very obvious throughout the day, that without Barry's ability to identify bird song, we would not have seen a good few of the birds we did see.

Although audible, the Redstart was very elusive, and we were nearly back at the car before the bird, a female, was found in a roadside tree. With the first target of the day in the bag, we trundled up the road. It was while on the move up the road that we came across a couple more birds that were high on our list. A Red-Legged Partridge was seen running at the roadside, and a Woodcock flew across our path. The R-L Partridge was my second lifer of the day, and the Woodcock was only the second one I've ever seen.

Next stop was a location where there was a chance of Pied Flycatcher. Once again, Barry's ability to recognise birdcall proved decisive. Making our way into a wooded area from where a call had been heard, it did not take long before we found two of these beautiful looking birds. Lifer number three for me, and we were on a roll. Could it continue?

Moving along the road again, Spotted Flycatcher became the latest addition to my year list. Reaching a car park at the end of the road, we now hiked up the trail that followed a burn to a loch that nestled between steep sided hills. On the burn we spotted a Dipper, and Barry soon detected a young one in the backside vegetation.

On the slopes that tumbled down to the waters of the loch, we found one of my main targets, and my fourth lifer of the day. A Ring Ouzel. In fact a pair of Ring Ouzel. We watched them for quite a while, along with a couple of other birders, before setting off down the track. It was along this track that Barry once again picked up the sound of a Redstart. Another elusive bird, but eventually I found it. This time, a very striking male. Our fellow Ring Ouzel watchers had followed us down the trail and had now caught up with us. The Restart had flown off, but they were in time to see three Woodcock flying through the trees.

Back at the car, we headed back down the road towards Edzell. As I drove along, Barry suddenly had me stop and back up. His experienced birding eye had spotted another big target of mine, sitting on a power line. It was a bird that I have heard so many times before, but never set eyes on. A bird that we had heard off and on throughout the morning. Lifer number five for me came in the form of the iconic Cuckoo.

Back at Edzell, we set out up the next glen. First stop was where Barry had recently seen Whinchat. The spot produced again, with good views of lifer number six being produced.

Pushing on up the glen, there was only one big target left on the list. Could the roll keep on rolling? It certainly could. My comrade in birding even predicted the field that we would find our Black Grouse in, and soon picked out the bird for me. Lifer number seven!

We travelled to the point where the road ended, then set off for home, another Cuckoo being seen as we travelled. A slight diversion was taken on the way back to try for a Grasshopper Warbler. No Grasshopper Warbler was found, but having had the bird watching day of my life, I really didn’t care.

My heart felt thanks go to Barry (Stonefaction) for all his help and assistance. I am pretty sure I would not have found half the birds we found if I had been up those glens on my own. You are an absolute gentleman, mate. Thanks again.

Attachments

• DSCN5972.jpg
    DSCN5972.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN6017.jpg
    DSCN6017.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN6007.jpg
    DSCN6007.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN6037.jpg
    DSCN6037.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN6053.jpg
    DSCN6053.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 65
Was a good day out, Paul, glad you enjoyed it. Luck was certainly on our side. Looks like a few decent pics too. Here's a few of mine...

Attachments

• D5X_7019 20170518_094627.jpg
    D5X_7019 20170518_094627.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 48
  • D5X_7069 20170518_101711.jpg
    D5X_7069 20170518_101711.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 67
  • D5X_7186 20170518_123029.jpg
    D5X_7186 20170518_123029.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 68
  • D5X_7344 20170518_150813.jpg
    D5X_7344 20170518_150813.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 56
  • D5X_7389 20170518_154932.jpg
    D5X_7389 20170518_154932.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 49
Yeah.... what a grand day you both had.

A lovely selection of birds you found between you.

Around Fife.

Took a tour around some of the Fife sites yesterday. Fife Ness Muir, Fife Ness, Kilminning, Eden Estuary, Wilderness, Letham Pools and Mountcastle. All very quiet.

Spent two hours at the Eden Estuary centre in the hope of W-T Eagle, but the biggest bird in Fife continues to evade me. At Fife Ness there were a lot of birds moving offshore, but I hadn't taken the scope, so was unable to ID them. Guillemot or Razorbill I suspect. Or both.

Terns also present at Fife Ness, but I struggle to identify them in the air, even when right above me. I'm fine when they are perched and can get a proper look at them. I'm now swatting up on terns in flight to be ready for next time.

Highlights of the day were group of Greenfinch at the Muir. Grey Partridge at Kilminning, Black-Tailed Gogwit at EEC. Four Pochard at Letham.

I wonder where would be the best location in Fife to go and look for corn bunting? I'm always hoping their territory will grow and they can spread here to Lothian, but seems not yet to be the case.

The place I have most success with Corn Bunting is walking out along the road to Balcomie Golf Course (and Fife Ness) from Crail. There are usually a few to be heard singing usually in the first couple of fields to the south of the road (a wee detour up past the B&Bs on the north side of the road - often one on the wires at the road junction - had one perched on a tree singing at rear of wes side of the track B&B). You can then cut down through Kilminning (have had them at the field/airfield) section south of the go-kart track, and then back along the coastal path through the caravan park - had one singing at both ends of caravan park recently.

Many thanks, incredibly helpful to have detailed advice. Will definitely follow that loop whenever we can get to the area, thanks!

Whinchat

Found my first Fife Whinchat this morning, up in the Lomond Hills. Apologies for the dodgy record shots - It was cooking up there with a resultant heat haze/shimmer.

Willow Warbler seemed a little higher up than I'd expect, but then it has got wings. :t:

Attachments

• P1020628.jpg
    P1020628.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 49
  • P1020654.jpg
    P1020654.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 44
  • P1020656.jpg
    P1020656.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 40
The place I have most success with Corn Bunting is walking out along the road to Balcomie Golf Course (and Fife Ness) from Crail. There are usually a few to be heard singing usually in the first couple of fields to the south of the road (a wee detour up past the B&Bs on the north side of the road - often one on the wires at the road junction - had one perched on a tree singing at rear of wes side of the track B&B). You can then cut down through Kilminning (have had them at the field/airfield) section south of the go-kart track, and then back along the coastal path through the caravan park - had one singing at both ends of caravan park recently.

Many thanks sir! My wife and I stopped off and walked that loop yesterday. We had a beautiful day, lovely walk, and several corn buntings obligingly singing away from the wires.

i headed up to Montrose basin yesterday to see the 2 spoonbills that are currently there, both birds were still at the lurgies area at 6.25pm, both were sleeping unfortunately,spoonbills are a lifer for me :t:
at Elliot there was a skylark with what looks like an infestation on its beak,it was closing eyes eyes a lot, the cliff nesting carrion crows at Arbroath have 2 youngsters

Attachments

• spoo.jpg
    spoo.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 41
  • spoon2.jpg
    spoon2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 40
  • crow.jpg
    crow.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 45
  • wht.jpg
    wht.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 37
  • skyl.jpg
    skyl.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 50
Moadib, glad you had some success.

Kawwauser, thinking they might be ticks on the Skylark bill. If so, that's one really unfortunate bird to pick up so many. Maybe a warning that we'll be getting a lot of them around this year (no idea if the conditions - mild Winter, dry Spring etc, make that a likelihood, or not). Fingers crossed not.
And Spoonbills seem to sleep a lot. My first couple of sightings were of sleeping birds being less than photogenic.

Last edited:
Vane Farm

Took my youngest (11 yr) to Vane Farm for a few hours today. Found a few firsts for him in Sedge Warbler, Greenfinch, Lapwing and Spotted Flycatcher. As we left the centre, I mentioned to him that Spotted Flycatcher wasn't marked up on the blackboard where they record the previous few days sightings. A couple of the RSPB helpers overheard this comment and got very excited about the SFs, as I don't think they have been sighted there this year until now. Surprising, as the Flycatchers were seen in the little woodland garden next to the centre.

My son was given a large sticker for "spot of the week". This absolutely made his day. :t:

Aaaw!!! You've really set him off on the track to being a nature enthusiast, if not a birder Paul. What a lovely tale.

Bet Spotfly will be his favourite bird for a long time.

It's good to know they're doing well there - they've been hard to find round this way for a few years now. Whereas I used to see them nearly every time I went out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back