• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Pioneer Valley (1 Viewer)

martinboer

Dear all,

I will be driving from Newark Airport in two weeks to Northfield, MA (just north of Greenfield and Springfield) and I was wondering if there is anywhere quality to stop between EWR and Northfield, perhaps White Memorial Foundation in Litchfield?

And then when I'm in Northfield, part of the Pioneer Valley, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sites in the area? I have been looking around on the internet but haven't found much yet.

Best wishes,

Martin
(Brussels, Belgium)

Around the corner from White Memorial on South Lake St in Litchfield is a 3/4 mile boardwalk around Small Pond, that should be worth a visit. March is still a bit early but the pond should be unfrozen soon if it isn't already.

The entire Connecticut River valley (except right in Hartford or Springfield) is pretty rural and peppered with parks; you won't have trouble finding a quiet spot. Looking for anything in particular?

While in the area, look for some tracks made by birds' close cousins: dinosaurs. There's an exposure on the river bank in Holyoke MA, and a huge indoor exposure at Dinosaur State Park and Arboretum in Rocky Hill, CT (south of Hartford).

PS a good resource for seeing past sightings in the US is ebird.com. They have a number of tools - you can search by species, for example - but you might be most interested in seeing where their "hotspots" are: http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspots I suggest restricting the search to the month of March.
The "hotspots" generally are places that are easily accessible for birding and therefore are heavily watched, not necessarily because they have more birds, but at least you'll know they're decent spots.

Last edited:
Natreb, Many thanks for the posts. I found some good sites on Audubon Mass. I am hoping the weather improves or it will be slim pickings. Best, Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back