• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1 1/4" Eyepiece Adapter for Kowa TSN-883 or884 (1 Viewer)

Hi Jerry.
Wouldn't the DA10 be too tall? You warn that click lock clamps are too tall, and the DA10 is a lot taller than the M54 male to a T2 male adapter. Of all the eyepiece clamps out there, only the cheapest Baader set screw type 1 1/4 EP adapter can be short enough to reach focus, is what I gather after all the discussion.
thanks, Malcolm

Hi,

regarding machining the Kowa bayonet - there is an M54x0.75 male threading around the eyepiece mount for accessories on the 88x and 77x scopes which could be used....

Here's one for 1.25" available commercially...

http://www.digiscopingadapters.es/tienda/adaptador-ocular-astronomico-kowa-1-25/

Joachim
Can you check out my previous question? I was thinking of getting ATIK M54 to M42 "T" Male to Female Adapter http://www.optcorp.com/a3-m54-m42-m54-to-m42-inchtinch-male-to-female-adapter.html

and getting the lowest cost Baader set screw 1-1/4" eyepiece to T2 adapter. Would this reach focus with at least some telescope eyepieces without chopping the Baader down shorter? Thanks.

Sorry to dig up this thread 1.5 years later, but I am now in position to try this and make it work with the Kowa TSN-PA7 photo adapter.

I have the Kowa TSN-883, TSN-11WZ, TSN-PA7 (with window) and a Nikon D3300 (CF body so it is light). Shooting with an ISO of 800 or 1600 and 1/800 shutter speed in daylight it works really well. I can slap the TSN-PA7/Nikon on in just a few seconds to take the photo.

The problem is that I have too much magnification at 25x zoom. According to Kowa, with the 2/3 CCD format of the D3300 I have the equivalent of a 1750 mm (37.5x) F/12 lens. Slow and very long. I never use the 60x setting because the f stop drop to F/28 and who needs a 90x equivalent lens.

So I figured I would try to use as long of focal length wide angle eyepiece as possible. I came up with the Baader Hyperion 31mm 82 degree eyepiece that has 1.25 and 2" barrel mounts.

I attached the 1.25 barrel mount and put it in the eyepiece socket on my 883. So far so good. I have about 50% more viewing angle than I had with the 25-60x wide angle lens. The is a slight vignetting on the edges but only a couple percent of the image diameter. You get worse if the eyecup is too far out. The focus setting is very close to the 25-60x setting only about 1/2 turn of the fine focus knob. Still can focus to infinity.

Doing a quick calculation, using the 465 mm focal length of the 883 (correct me if I am wrong, but that is the number Kowa gave me), I now have a 15x magnification optically and a 22.5x equivalent telephoto. I also gain in F stop to a much better F/5.6. Again correct me if I am wrong but I have been working with a Kowa digiscoping tech on this.

The Baader Hyperion eyepiece extends out 4mm (with eyecup) shorter than the Kowa 25x-60 wide eyepiece. It is a tad smaller diameter so I can used the TSN-PA7 adapter with a small light blocking spacer mounter in the TSN-PA7. I have to mount the Baader Hyperion eyepiece first before I test the focus shift from eye to camera. It is close with the Kowa 25x-60 wide.

Now the hard part. Mounting the 1.25 eyepiece. Luckily Kowa now had a 50% of the problem solved now. The TSN-EC2 adapter. It screws into the 883 eyepiece socket just above the bayonet mount. There are three mount flanges for an TSN-820 series (I think) eyepiece. I can machine off the bayonet mount and have a minimum 35 mm ID opening, stepping up to larger diameters. Since 1.25 is 32.7mm, I can machine a collar to fit into the TSN-EC3 adapter so the 1.25 eyepiece will just slide in. I can drill set screws into the adapter to hold the eyepeice.

I am currently waiting to get an adapter that screwed onto the TSN-1,2,3,5 series scopes. It is suppose to have the same threads so that I can screw the TSN-EC2 adapter into it so I can turn the adapter on the lathe with damage to cut of the adapter tabs. I will probably just buy a cheap aluminum 2" to 1.25" adapter and turn it down to fit into the TSN-EC2.

Any suggestions?

David

I machined the piece last night so I could fit the 1.25" eyepiece onto my Kowa TSN-883. The Baader Hyperion 31mm worked very well. It was dark outside so I couldn't set up my FOV test system but just a quick glance comparing it to the Kowa TE-11WZ 25-60x the Baader maintained about the same APOV (60 degrees APOV at 16x). The focus setting was just slightly different but I could still focus on stars.

I then attached the TSN-PA7 digiscopeing adapter. Whoops. Did I miscalculate. The back lens on the Baader eyepice was more than 13mm shorter than the back lens on the Kowa. The camera could not get into focus at all. I forgot to take into account the rubber eyecup on the Baader. On the Kowa, the back lens is right against the PA7 adapter because you fold the eyecup down. I slid the Baaser back so it was resting against PA7 back plate. I could then focus the scope through the camera but only very close since the eyepiece was way back.

I could shorten the PA7 length but then it would not work with the Kowa eyepiece. Back to the drawing board or look for another eyepiece that is mechanically longer.

David

Hi,

ok, some thoughts I got when reading about your experiments...

- Kowa 883/4 focal length is 510mm - this was a guess from the name of the 30x wide EP (TE 17W - as in 17mm focal length - Kowa used to have the focal length in mm in the fixed mag EP designations before).

- sb. on cloudynights did the opposite and adapted the wide angle zoom to a 2" barrel and found it to be 8.4-20.4mm when measuring exit pupil size at different magnifications... this makes the body 510mm...

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/569030-kowa-te-11wz-the-plot-thickens/page-2

- a commercial 1.25" adapter for the Kowa 883/4 series seems to be available from Teleskop Express in germany for 25€

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...r-1-25--Okulare---fuer-Kowa-TSN-Spektive.html

- regarding the Baader Hyperion 31mm on the Kowa - how is it in the Kowa - the Hyperion fixed mag EPs are usually not known for great performance in fast scopes like the Kowa at f5.8 but the 31mm and 36mm ones are different designs than the shorter models and also with the 1.25" barrel you'll vignette quite a bit so the critical outer field is not going to be visible anyways...

Btw. you can unscrew the rubber eyecup and expose two different threads on the Hyperion EPs - maybe you can adapt from there w/o using the Kowa digiscoping adapter?

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/e...erion/31mm-hyperion-aspheric-2"-eyepiece.html

You could use a M54 female to M42 T thread adapter like this

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop...T2-thread--male----photo-and-CCD-adapter.html

and just use a T2 for Nikon adapter from there...

Joachim

And the Nikon HW12.5 reach focus!!!

And the good news is that the Nikon HW12.5 reach focus with the extender (with the second adapter shown on the video). This means that fanatics of wide angled eps (that don't use eyeglasses...), can have 65x with 102º AFOV - eventually 82x using EiC-10 that comes with the HW 12.5...
I was planning to sell my HW12.5 but will delay it until I test it in a Kowa 88...3:)

Last edited:
Correction about HW 12.5 use...

Well, I took wrong conclusions and the HW 12.5 only reaches focus with the extender which means 65x... I edited and corrected the previous post.
At these mags the 9mm clones of the Ethos, with 1.25" barrel might be cheaper alternatives although not being 102º...

Last edited:
Hi,

from the video it looks like the 2nd adapter with the grub screws can go in quite a bit farther and thus you have better chances to reach focus.

And it seems that the forum or some crapware called viglink is blocking vendor links :-(
Just google Teleskop Express go to the spotting scopes category and click on the Kowa 883 - the adapters are shown a bit below with the other accessories...

Joachim

Hi,

from the video it looks like the 2nd adapter with the grub screws can go in quite a bit farther and thus you have better chances to reach focus.

And it seems that the forum or some crapware called viglink is blocking vendor links :-(
Just google Teleskop Express go to the spotting scopes category and click on the Kowa 883 - the adapters are shown a bit below with the other accessories...

Joachim
Ordered the 1.25GS version 2 days ago, had no problem. This version seems to be able to seat the eyepieces further in. Was $59.31 shipped to US after the dollar conversion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back