• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding and wildlife in South Wales? (1 Viewer)

jimbob

Hello,

my wife-to-be and I are honeymooning on the western edge of the Brecon Beacons, staying on the doorstep of Castle Carreg Cennen. The nearest large town is probably Llandeilo. We will have one week from August 15th.
Primarily we just want to relax and enjoy our stay. We enjoy walking and no doubt there will be lots to explore in the local area. We are prepared to travel a little further afield and will be going to the coast. We would hope to see some seabirds, cetaceans and I have never seen a Chough(!) so perhaps no is the time!
Bats are also a target- any sites near us for Horseshoe species?
Basically, any advice is appreciated be it specific species or a site. If you can combine a decent pub with any of that I will be thrilled.
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi JB. I'd recommend Y Polyn if you're looking for somewhere decent to eat. You'll have to book though.

Keep an eye on this site for sightings:

www.carmarthenshirebirds.co.uk/Bird-Sightings.html

Rhossilli on The Gower can be good for Chough. Can't help with the bats - sorry.

Good luck with the wedding and I hope you have a great honeymoon. You've chosen a beautiful part of the world to stay.

Rich

Hi JB. I'd recommend Y Polyn if you're looking for somewhere decent to eat. You'll have to book though.

Keep an eye on this site for sightings:

www.carmarthenshirebirds.co.uk/Bird-Sightings.html

Rhossilli on The Gower can be good for Chough. Can't help with the bats - sorry.

Good luck with the wedding and I hope you have a great honeymoon. You've chosen a beautiful part of the world to stay.

Rich

Thanks Rich, exactly the kind of thing we are after.

You are the second person to recommend Y Polyn so we will definitelybe booking a table there.

I will continue to do my own research and will pop anything relevant on this thread.

Jim.

Hi folks, nearly time for our trip as we leave on Friday.
Unfortunately I injured myself playing football recently which means I cannot walk very far, at least the holiday will be relaxing!
We are definitely looking to take a boat trip out to some of the islands, any thoughts on this welcome.
I think any decent spots to scan for Raptors and the like would be really useful in light of the inury; again, any thoughts appreciated.
Can anyone gives us a sure-fire site right now for:
Chough
Black Grouse
Long-eared Owl?
Please PM if info is sensitive.

Cheers,
Jim.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back