• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is wrong with this photo? (1 Viewer)

ShelleyD

United States
I've had the Panasonic DMC-FZ300 about a month and have got some wonderful photos. But, some are awful and I don't know what is wrong with them. This is a good example of one that disappoints me. I need a diagnosis of the problem before I can search for a solution. I don't see how this could be noise at ISO 100. And, it doesn't look blurry or poorly focused to me. What do you call those dots and shadow especially noticeable around the bill? Any help will be appreciated very much.

Attachments

• Sandhill Crane Lake Hills portrait.jpg
    Sandhill Crane Lake Hills portrait.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 392
I think it is the actual feathering of the bird. Nothing wrong with the camera. Just my opinion. Others may have other thoughts.

Thanks for the quick replies. I don't think that it's either the feathers or the monitor, though. If you click on the photo and then the zoom tool and look at the bill of the bird, you can see the dots and shadows around the edges of the bill. I've taken other photos at the same distance that are quite smooth and clean, but I get shots like this, too.

I'm leaving for a month-long trip soon and would love to get this problem resolved before I go.

Shelley, I can see what you're talking about. I used to own a bridge camera of my own and I experienced problems like this when I used the digital zoom function. Optical zoom is the advertised 24x zoom on your FZ300 and is achieved by using the optics (lens) of your camera to magnify your subject. Digital zoom basically crops down an image to magnify your subject and is done entirely electronically. I've found that this results in a loss of image quality and strange artifacts, like the grainy texture I see in your photo. Because of this, I turned off the digital zoom function and only used optical zoom. I am only assuming that you used digital zoom on this photo, so if you didn't, let me know. You can see if this is the problem by zooming in on an object with only optical zoom and taking a picture, and then comparing the results after you take a picture of the same object using digital zoom.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, Rapala. I wish that you had the answer, but I never use digital zoom. I double-checked that I had not accidentally turned on digital zoom and I had not. This photo was taken with just optical zoom. Other thoughts?

You'll need to include the EXIF data in your picture for any meaningful feedback. ISO, Aperture, and Shutter Speed, being the most important. Also distance to subject, light etc (A heavy crop of a a distant subject from a small sensor won't look great, especially in poor light, or due to atmospheric conditions... pollution, heat haze etc etc).

Also:

Did you underexpose the shot and brighten it in software afterwards?.

Are you using the Full Auto Mode? As this will include "Intelligent Zoom" which is basically digital zoom.

I second Chris's comments regarding posting EXIF data, which has been stripped from your photo.

To me the bird doesn't look fully sharp, possibly with additional issues due to the distance or the ISO being very high.

Posting pictures here means reducing the quality to make the files smaller. You may have a better chance of letting us see what specifically you are referring to by posting a crop, maybe of just the head, as at high a resolution as possible.

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back