• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

Thrushes

Wow Scuzz they are great photo's! It most take some patients Hobby in Durham is something I'd love to see.

The Hobby mostly takes flying insects - i think your gonna have to have a great deal of patience while walking up & down doing your rounds, as the patients must all be safely tucked up in their horse-pittle beds by now.

-----------------------------

Lots of thrushes about this morning, approx 50 Song Thrush & 100 Blackbird around Rainton Bridge/Meadows area. Also 4 Redwings at Joes Pond with another flock of 12 flying over SW.

Sandwich Tern

A bit late now;), Sandwich Tern at Newburn Bridge yesterday.
I thought it would've been long gone by now:flyaway:

Attachments

• Tern Landing.jpg
    Tern Landing.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Sandwich Tern1.jpg
    Sandwich Tern1.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 88
Not much chance to get out today with the lousy weather.

Greatham Creek - Greenshank x1, Little Egret x2, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Cormorant, Dunlin and loads of Redshank. Linnet c.20, Stonechat and Goldfinch c.20 along the path by the Creek.

A fox came wandering down the path towards where I was sat in the car. saw me and sat down! 30 secs later it was off again back down the path.

A Sparrowhawk spent most of the morning in the garden as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4000ao.JPG
    IMG_4000ao.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4007aoo.JPG
    IMG_4007aoo.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4082ao.JPG
    IMG_4082ao.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3970ao.JPG
    IMG_3970ao.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 126
A bit late now;), Sandwich Tern at Newburn Bridge yesterday.
I thought it would've been long gone by now:flyaway:
Sandwich Terns are usually the last terns to leave.You can sometimes see them well into October and even November.Saw my last Sandwich Tern on the 17th of Nov last year at Hartlepool.Some winter in the UK and Ireland.

Last edited:
Shaggy2070 and I spent a few hours on the headland beach at Hartlepool before moving along to Newburn Bridge where the sandwich tern flew in and sat for us for what must have been a good hour.
Setting up on the beach just before low water is ideal as when the tide turns and starts pushing the birds towards you they seem to accept you being there quite readily.

Fingers crossed the ID's are L-R
Sandwich tern, Knot, Sleepy Dunlin, Redshank, Squabbling Ringed plover

Attachments

• sandwich_tern-00048.jpg
    sandwich_tern-00048.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 87
  • knot-00106.jpg
    knot-00106.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 100
  • dunlin-00028.jpg
    dunlin-00028.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 103
  • redshank-00262.jpg
    redshank-00262.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 83
  • ringed_plover-00103.jpg
    ringed_plover-00103.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 114
Hetton Boggs today:
Very quiet with a few of the regular Titts, mallards, coots etc, I think mainly because of the regular fly overs of the sphawk all day.

Nice meeting Seggs again today :t:. Not much happened after you left other than the pheasant, the odd chaffinch & a few common darters :C.

Attachments

• _MG_1736.jpg
    _MG_1736.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_1744.jpg
    _MG_1744.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_1748.jpg
    _MG_1748.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_1753.jpg
    _MG_1753.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 70
  • _MG_1776.jpg
    _MG_1776.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 77
Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park this afternoon - Very close views of Buzzard over ploughed field on north side of Claxton Beck. It certainly gave a shock to two Crows and a Sparrowhawk they were berrating as they all shot out of the tree as it passed. It headed west and then north towards Greatham works.

Also Barnacle Goose x4 over the same area following Claxton Beck west towards Wynyard - a year tick if not a patch tick.

Very few other birds seen away from the main pond and car park hedges where Blue Tit, Great Tit, Dunnock, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Reed Bunting and Tree Sparrow were making use of the table feeders. Also Magpie and Wren in the hedge.

Quite a few dragonflies around in sheltered areas with Migrant Hawker 12+, Ruddy Darter c.10, Common Darter c.8 all in the brambles in the NW corner of the pond. Speckled Wood 20+ around as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4354ao.JPG
    IMG_4354ao.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4374ao.JPG
    IMG_4374ao.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4439ao.JPG
    IMG_4439ao.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4405ao.JPG
    IMG_4405ao.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4235ao.JPG
    IMG_4235ao.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 83
note

The Durham Bird Club field trip to Holy Island & the Northumberland coast on Sunday (5th) is now fully booked.

Managed a couple of hours at RM's today:

Much the same on the main pond with the exception of:. A Whooper Swan made two brief landings. Only very brief as when it touched down both times, It was chased of by one of the mute swans. When It departed It was heading North West.
Another first time photo for me :t:.

Attachments

• _MG_1801.jpg
    _MG_1801.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 79
  • _MG_1803.jpg
    _MG_1803.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 91
  • _MG_1804.jpg
    _MG_1804.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 78
  • _MG_1820.jpg
    _MG_1820.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 86
  • _MG_1894.jpg
    _MG_1894.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 76
Behavioural question
I was wondering whether gulls ate insects?
It would seem that frantic activity seems to occur when a hatch takes place on the water and that activity doesn't appear to be associated with "washing/preening".
All the flock seem to react and cease at the roughly the same time with the activity lasting a minute or so.
I took the shots today as a caddis fly hatch seemed to be be going on (judging by the caddis flies landing near me)
The birds method seems to vary between hurried water skipping/hopping/dipping and full blown gannet type dives.
Am I right in my assumption or a mile off the mark?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 78
Managed a couple of hours at RM's today:

Much the same on the main pond with the exception of:. A Whooper Swan made two brief landings. Only very brief as when it touched down both times, It was chased of by one of the mute swans. When It departed It was heading North West.
Another first time photo for me :t:.

Right place right time there Ray :t:
Ah, the joys of local patching
time after time its the same old usual suspects from the hide..... then something new out of the blue to add a bit colour & interest...
(Whoopers not a common sight down there - only ever seen one on the lake myself)

Sadly missed your Swan, but late aftnoon produced:- 5 Dunlin (Cleadon Lane eat your heart out!), 1Water Rail, 14Snipe, prGadwall, 1PFGoose, mRuddy Duck, 33M.Pipit, 12R.Bunting, 1swGrey Wagtail, 1swG'SWpkr, 1-2Kingfisher (with 2 also on the wildfowlers flighting pool)

Lots of raptors up yesterday,Buzzards prominant 5 over Lord Lambtons, another 5 over the Wear valley between Finchale & Ch-le-St with singles at Rainton, Morton Wood, & nr Warden Law

Behavioural question
I was wondering whether gulls ate insects?
It would seem that frantic activity seems to occur when a hatch takes place on the water and that activity doesn't appear to be associated with "washing/preening".
All the flock seem to react and cease at the roughly the same time with the activity lasting a minute or so.
I took the shots today as a caddis fly hatch seemed to be be going on (judging by the caddis flies landing near me)
The birds method seems to vary between hurried water skipping/hopping/dipping and full blown gannet type dives.
Am I right in my assumption or a mile off the mark?

never noticed this John, (v.many caddis fly about yestday aftnoon) looks like theyve targeted them just as they were to emerge.

BHGulls are regularly seen soaring up a height in summer , often mixed with Starling taking flying ants etc.

Have seen BHgulls several times taking (what i presumed would be moths emerging ..??) from standing Hay crops in the Dales at dusk (& after !).
They (sometimes 30 over one field) hawked low just skimming over the tops of the seed heads, grabbing at items from the grass or in flight just above it, but never once landing.
The effect in the half light was of a flock of barn owls:eek!:

A few pics from the last week.

Attachments

• stoat 018.jpg
    stoat 018.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 99
  • stoat 006.jpg
    stoat 006.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 116
  • ybw 003.jpg
    ybw 003.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 112
  • a kite.jpg
    a kite.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 108
A few from RM's freezer/hide today:

Not sure on image 2, GBB Gull, I think, but the beak looks different!. If It wasn't for the beak, I would guess 3rd winter, looking at my book.
Image 4 is the cross Canada or whatever, looks to be in a bad mood.

Attachments

• _MG_1953.jpg
    _MG_1953.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_2008.jpg
    _MG_2008.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 72
  • _MG_2014.jpg
    _MG_2014.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 63
  • _MG_2051.jpg
    _MG_2051.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 82
  • _MG_2115.jpg
    _MG_2115.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back