• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcons, Flickers, and Nest Boxes (1 Viewer)

CarterMT

Greetings,

I am a longtime visitor to birdforum, but only recently registered. I'm creating this thread in the hope that your collective expertise can help with a bird question I have at my home. Here goes (I'll try to be quick):

I live in a cedar-sided house in a mixed, open woodland of Northwestern Montana. There are several small lakes nearby, so the birding here is marvelous! Anyway, I've had a terrible time with Flickers damaging my siding. I mean terrible. (It's the same kind of thing that has been written about elsewhere.) It occurred to me recently that maybe I could find ways to increase the local Merlin population by encouraging them to nest close to the house (thus keeping my flickers away -- one way or another). I have heard that Merlins and nest boxes don't typically go together, but maybe some of you have experience with this. There are Kestrels nearby -- but not typically close to the house -- and I understand that they will gladly take to next boxes. I'm not sure if a Kestrel would actually set its gaze on a Flicker, but in any event, these are ideas born out of utter desperation. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Many thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back