• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

70-200 with 1.4x Teleconverter (1 Viewer)

Cardamom Pod

Very well, Dr. Humorous Droll
I'm looking to spend around $1000 on a camera and lens, and I thought of the rebel XSi with a 70-200 f/4 lens. I would have to put a teleconverter on it, and I was thinking of the canon 1.4x. Would this be a good combination, or would image quality drop too much? Keep in mind that this is the only L series lens I can afford while also getting a body. Thanks!

I'm looking to spend around $1000 on a camera and lens, and I thought of the rebel XSi with a 70-200 f/4 lens. I would have to put a teleconverter on it, and I was thinking of the canon 1.4x. Would this be a good combination, or would image quality drop too much? Keep in mind that this is the only L series lens I can afford while also getting a body. Thanks!
The 70-200/4 takes a 1.4 tc very well with not too much IQ lose IMO. This would give you 280mm which is a little short for birds but I guess it depends on how near you can get.

The f4 version of the 70-200mm L is often quoted as being sharper than the f2.8 and I use the f2.8 with a 1.4TC almost all the time and it gives great results (when I get things right ;)).
You might find it beneficial to try to push for the f4 IS version of the lens, since with the increased focal length of the 1.4TC the IS will have increased importance when your shooting handheld in dimmer lighting.

As for working with birds its not an ideal combo - you need tame birds (robins!) or a really good hide and feeding station to get good results. Oh and a welly sock helps a lot with hiding the whiteness of the lens - http://www.flickr.com/photos/24534478@N04/4126165648/in/set-72157621887088458/
And seriously I was shooting a robin in the garden the other month, came close enough to be inside the lenses minimum focusing distance, but flew right off as soon as I first pulled the big white mass out (leaving it to one side and continuing to dig up the garden - and thus worms- encouraged him back though and let me get some shots).

If you plan to use the 70-200L lens with the TC most of the time, you would be much better off with the EF 70-300 IS and save several hundred dollars to be invested for your next lens purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back