• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 50mm f1.8 II (1 Viewer)

stu78

I just received this lens from Digital Rev in Hong Kong and am not too impressed with its sharpness wide open. When stopped down to f5.6 it is beautifully sharp, however I was lead to believe that this lens was supposed to be reasonably sharp at all f numbers and was supposedly a must buy lens.
I have enclosed some 100% crops at different f stops to demonstrate. These were taken by using the autofocus to lock focus and then switching to manual to avoid any change in focus.
Could somebody who owns this lens please comment on the sharpness and tell me if this is normal. If it is normal then could someone recommend another fast lens that can actually take sharp shots at wide apertures.
Cheers Stu

Attachments

• ScreenShot00184.jpg
    ScreenShot00184.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Mine is very sharp at all f/ stops.

100% crop of a wooden bird at ripley's believe it or not museum in London. Shot at f/1.8 1/100sec at ISO 400 (hense the noise) on a 20D.

Attachments

• 100 crop.jpg
    100 crop.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 146
You're actually complaining about this lens? Sure there are better ones for 4 times the price.
I have it and considering what I paid for it I am more than happy.

Jeremy

I'm over the moon with mine! yes at f1.8 a little soft but it has to be the best value lens on the market.

Thanks for the input guys. It seems I have been spoilt by my 400mm f5.6 which is as sharp wide open as stopped down. I obviously expected it to be a bit softer wide open but IMO it is a huge difference between f1.8 and f5.6. Checking out the reviews on dpreview of all the available 50mm primes shows that none are perfect wide open.

I have taken some real shots since I posted before and must say that I am quite impressed with the results. I don't know why I was looking at 100% crops as they are quite irrelevant when using this lens considering there is no need to crop if you frame your shot correctly to start with!! I must admit it is a bit of a bargain for 65 quid.

I have no complaints about the optical performance of my nifty.

However, the AF performance is dire (speed/accuracy/noise/consistency) and MF is very difficult since the MF ring is very small and the clutchless AF mechanism means you are always fighting to overcome gears and cogs when you MF. I have to say that, fitted to my 1D3, the AF performance perks up quite a bit compared to my 30D/40D/50D. That said, I expect to receive a 50/1.4 in the post today.

It may be that poor/inconsistent AF performance is the reason for poor apparent IQ. Wide open and close up the DOF may be insufficient to conceal slight focus errors. The question then is - is the lens sharp, but slightly defocused, or just plain soft? If you have Live View then focus using AF and then try adjusting the camera/subject distance fractionally to see whether the image sharpens up. I would be surprised if there isn't a sharp image to be had in there somewhere. You just have to find where it is.

Last edited:
Well I am expecting a 50D to come in the post any day now :) so I'll definitely give that a try. Ta

Just a couple of shots taken with mine, uncropped and the corresponding 100% crops. Taken at f2 as well so not quite wide open but not bad all things considered.

Also can't really say I struggled with the AF either and I used it under some fairly demanding circumstances (look in the... ahem.... 'Birdforum Competition Winners' gallery to see what I'm on about :king: ).

Cheers.
Adam

Attachments

• 50mmuncropped01.jpg
    50mmuncropped01.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 80
  • 50mm100%crop01.jpg
    50mm100%crop01.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 50mmuncropped02.jpg
    50mmuncropped02.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 50mm100%crop02.jpg
    50mm100%crop02.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 95
Just a couple of shots taken with mine, uncropped and the corresponding 100% crops. Taken at f2 as well so not quite wide open but not bad all things considered.

Also can't really say I struggled with the AF either and I used it under some fairly demanding circumstances (look in the... ahem.... 'Birdforum Competition Winners' gallery to see what I'm on about :king: ).

Cheers.
Adam

These a fantastic photos considering the cost of the lens used, I am really tempted to get one. They are now £70 and if it's rubbish I would probably only lose £20 if I sold it.
A lad at work has just bought one and he loves it too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back