• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens Choice (1 Viewer)

Cardamom Pod

Very well, Dr. Humorous Droll
Hopefully I will be getting an xsi/450d for christmas. If this is the case, what lens should I pair it with? I have tried out the canon 55-250, and it seems to autofocus very fast. However,would this be to short? If so, are there any other lenses under $500 USD that I should look at? Thanks!

For lenses under $500, the 55-250 is an excellent value. Possibly the best value for tele-zooms in that price range. I usually shoot with a 100-400L, but I bought the 55-250 for a vacation a few months ago. I wanted a smaller lens for walking around but still with decent reach.

250mm is challenging for bird and wildlife photography. But if you can get close, you can get good shots with this lens. Here are a couple of my shots with it. I was quite close to the animals for these. But the lens performed admirably.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jameslj/3853914249/sizes/o/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jameslj/3844623618/sizes/o/

At this price, the 70-300 EF IS USM is another choice. It is a full frame lens Vs. the crop sensor 55-250. But at around $540, it doubles the price of the 55-250.I think the IQ is at most on par. So you have to decide whether the 50mm longer reach is really worth double the money. (and 300 mm is still a bit short for bird photography, you may want to upgrade to longer ones later)

Are you committed to Canon?

The Pentax K-x is a very nice entry level SLR.

I was comparing 55 & 70 to 300mm zooms yesterday & the Canon zooms are much bulkier & heavy than the Pentax 55-300mm. Don't assume that the Canon's must be better because they are more expensive.

Are you committed to Canon?

The Pentax K-x is a very nice entry level SLR.

I was comparing 55 & 70 to 300mm zooms yesterday & the Canon zooms are much bulkier & heavy than the Pentax 55-300mm. Don't assume that the Canon's must be better because they are more expensive.

Did you only compare the physical dimensions, or IQ as well. I'd rather have a bulky lens that deliver sharp, contrasty images than a light lens that deliver bland, soft ditto. Photozone's test of the 55-300 Pentax wasn't exactly flattering. I think that when it comes to optics "you get what you pay for" is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Canon (and Nikon) will also provide more options later on when you undoubtedly wish to get more (and more expensive) lenses.

Thomas

Hopefully I will be getting an xsi/450d for christmas. If this is the case, what lens should I pair it with? I have tried out the canon 55-250, and it seems to autofocus very fast. However,would this be to short? If so, are there any other lenses under $500 USD that I should look at? Thanks!

All the above caveats aside (about limited reach at 250), since you're in the USA, B&H New York (the mecca for all photog gear!) (click on link) have what looks to be an outstanding deal right now for a XSi + 18-55 + 55-250 for $750 if you act quickly... Click here for direct link...

HAPPY CHRISTMAS :t:

Last edited:
Did you only compare the physical dimensions, or IQ as well. I'd rather have a bulky lens that deliver sharp, contrasty images than a light lens that deliver bland, soft ditto. Photozone's test of the 55-300 Pentax wasn't exactly flattering. I think that when it comes to optics "you get what you pay for" is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Canon (and Nikon) will also provide more options later on when you undoubtedly wish to get more (and more expensive) lenses.

Thomas
I have been a Canon man for nearly 20 years & I'm not sure you always do get what you pay for. I have a Canon 100-300mm USM lens, quite old but still a current model & was surprised to find IQ inferior to a cheap Pentax kit lens. There are plenty of good reviews of the Pentax 55-300mm btw.
I was mainly comparing how crop-able 300mm images are with various lenses.

Canon (& Nikon) obviously have (& will continue to have) much better lens choice which is why I am keeping my 50D;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back