• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's happened to my scope? (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
For years, I've covered my scope in bubble wrap, inside the stay on case for extra protection.

I just took it all off to renew the bubble wrap as I do periodically, only to find that the paint coating on the body, has become tacky and can be scraped off with a finger?

Any ideas what's happened here?

A

Attachments

• rsz_p5231263.jpg
    rsz_p5231263.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 147
  • rsz_p5231264.jpg
    rsz_p5231264.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 144
Heat?

Or chemical reaction with the bubble wrap?

Or if in the Sun, could the bubbles act as lenses?

Last edited:
Doubt it, it's always kept in the same place and that's not near heat or chemical sources.

Interestingly, a guy in the Kowa section has just mentiones imilar and Kowa wanted £400 to repaint it!

A

Hi,

it's unfortunately a common problem with Kowa 823 bodies that the paint becomes tacky - the bubble wrap is not at fault.

See Kowa forum for more examples. One user has removed the whole paint and repainted quite professionally (except for stencils), another has just rubbed of the tacky parts with turpentine and put on the stay on cover again...

You could try Kowa service but be prepared for a hefty quote if it is out of warranty.

I would probably just rub off the tacky parts, repack as before and continue to use it - it's a great scope and you would have to get an 883 with WA zoom or another alpha to get a better view.

Joachim

Thanks jring,
would the 883 be considered it's modern counterpart?

The only thing I dislike is the offset eye piece, a real pain.

A

Thanks jring,
would the 883 be considered it's modern counterpart?

The only thing I dislike is the offset eye piece, a real pain.

Hi,

well the 883 is the current top offering from Kowa, as was the 823 back in the days and my TSN-3 30 years ago. All have a doublet objective with a CaF2 crystal back element made by Canon/Optron, the same company that makes the fluorite objectives for some of the highly regarded Takahashi astro scopes.

The current TSN-883 has a few mm more aperture and there is the really great wide angle zoom available which for the first time comes close to offering the same field of view as a 30x wide EP. This wide angle zoom does not fit any of the older or current smaller bodies (for technical reason - the field stop diameter Binastro mentioned in the other thread).

I would certainly keep the 823 and follow the advice in the other thread for better aiming or a zoom. You will have to spend well north of two grand to get sth equal or slightly better.

Joachim

tacky finish

For years, I've covered my scope in bubble wrap, inside the stay on case for extra protection.

I just took it all off to renew the bubble wrap as I do periodically, only to find that the paint coating on the body, has become tacky and can be scraped off with a finger?

Any ideas what's happened here?

A

It's not just on Kowa scopes. I have come across the same problem with 'painted' binoculars. As already mentioned, you can remove it. You could try talcum powder.

Kowa paint going soft on its own notwithstanding, could this have been accelerated by the chemical plasticizers in the bubble wrap exuding therefrom and (having nowhere to go) plasticizing the paint?

Kowa paint going soft on its own notwithstanding, could this have been accelerated by the chemical plasticizers in the bubble wrap exuding therefrom and (having nowhere to go) plasticizing the paint?

Bubble wrap is generally made of polyethylene, so I don't think it incorporates plasticisers.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back