• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Species richness/density maps (1 Viewer)

cocobean

Hi, does anyone know of any website that shows species richness or density maps for the Western Palearctic please? Ideally there would be summer, winter and migration maps so I could work out the best areas to target the most number of species at each time of the year.
Thanks

Sounds interesting. Hope some good info comes back.

I was thinking along similar lines yesterday and thought: if I was to start over seeking out wildlife in Europe / WP, I would aim for quality not quantity.
So I would search for the rarest, most elusive species like Rock Partridge, Bonelli's Eagles, Eagle Owl, Baillon's Crake, probably lots of better examples, in the assumption that the commoner species would all fall whilst looking for the rarer ones!

As it happens, I spent my "youth" getting big totals, but still haven't seen some of the harder species. Having said that, I could have spent my youth looking for Rock Partridge and Baillon's Crake and have a much shorter list by now, still with no Rock Partridge or Baillon's Crake!

One tip I would have is to aim for the corners and extremes of the area you are interested in. Trips to Israel, Finland, Morrocco, Armenia perhaps, then find out which times of year are best for these species. (usually when the tour groups go out there!)

Hope this helps,
Peter

Hi, thanks for your replies. I've just got back from Majorca and had 21 lifers (which says as much about the paucity of my life list as it does about the species that inhabit Majorca!). I'm trying to work out the best places to go for future family holidays. My gut feeling is places like Turkey and parts of Eastern Europe, but I have to keep in mind my wife and son who like sun and beaches and not swamps or sewage treatment works!

Hi, thanks for your replies. I've just got back from Majorca and had 21 lifers (which says as much about the paucity of my life list as it does about the species that inhabit Majorca!). I'm trying to work out the best places to go for future family holidays. My gut feeling is places like Turkey and parts of Eastern Europe, but I have to keep in mind my wife and son who like sun and beaches and not swamps or sewage treatment works!

If that's the case then keep an eye on this thread as well:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=233061

Sadly I have never been able to combine these trips very well. I get frustrated that I am not able to do enough birding, and my wife and kids get frustrated that I am spending too much time birding so no-one is satisfied.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back