• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (3 Viewers)

Male redpolls indeed then, coming into breeding plumage - very nice! The linnets around here are also showing some pink; veritable dawn chorus this morning.

Had this small bird in my garden today, thought it was a linnet but the white beak put me off then I thought maybe a twite? I posted on the bird id forum aswell so hoping for a positive id either way ,thanks Gerard.

Attachments

• DSC01172.jpg
    DSC01172.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC01175.jpg
    DSC01175.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 71
Looked for the snow bunting but no sign yesterday - moved?

At keenans cross pond a pair of pochard and a pair of mute swans, the female clearly nesting on the tip of the "peninsula"...

There was a merlin in the area of seabank the last three days...

Snap Frank here I am to say listening to Yellowhammers close to hospital coming off nights this morning. I also have been puzzling over dark brown chested and bellied smallish birds with white along their long tails some with two yellow stripes along side of heads and others with one very strong creamy peachy stripe with such dark brown heads. Even the odd one had greenish olive chests. And what I really noticed most of all was this plain dark area from back of neck unusually extended down to mid back on these birds.
I ended up getting a Collins ID bird book by Killian Mularney and others in the library (will be buying it). I never dreamt of Yellowhammers but within hours of reading his book realised thats what they were. They can demolish a peanut feeder at bottom of my garden daily and mad for fatballs too. They are also the birds I am puzzling over this years with the nicer tails than Sparrows. They bend their tails inwards and then open them out like a fan and can make beautiful displays. They only starting making the displays again last week so possibly a way of attracting partners. There are quite a lot of them about here all winter. The morning after I reconized them from the book I had one of them for hours cheeping squeakily "a little bit of bread and no cheese" and I thought to myself how did I not reconize the squeaking before.

Buzzard and I think - Meadow Pipit (those 'little brown jobs' are tough!) - pics taken from along the railway line out the Ardee Road on Sunday. Large flock of linnet feeding in turnip field currently being cropped. Two lapwings flying overhead too.

Attachments

• Dash 041.JPG
    Dash 041.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Dash 092.jpg
    Dash 092.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 45
Some more pics from Sunday.

Attachments

• Dash 038.jpg
    Dash 038.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Dash 065.jpg
    Dash 065.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Dash 072.jpg
    Dash 072.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Dash 083.JPG
    Dash 083.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 58
I counted 30 plus Redwings around here yesterday evening on short journey home and then -6 this morning. They must be aware of the freezing coming and all out foraging in preparation to survive it or get the worms before ground becomes too frozen. I think I have a couple of some sort of Pipits but not sure.

Had two siskins in my back garden for the first time today, I found them very striking as the sun was out and their colours seemed very vivid.

Had two siskins in my back garden for the first time today, I found them very striking as the sun was out and their colours seemed very vivid.

I had two gorgeous vividly coloured males yesterday and two females few days past. Although I think they are not feeding as often as in recent years so must be getting enough seeds somewhere still. I have 9 Goldfinches daily and still overrun by beautiful Redpolls but quite happy. I could see yellowy really glinting on the sides and backs of what I think are Yellowhammers and totally brown fronts a bit flecked at sides just.

Two male siskins and one female siskin coming back every day now, also a reed bunting came to my garden the other day, I dont know if he has been back or not. The meadow pipit has not been seen for three days now, thats the longest gap since December that it has not been seen.Gerard

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back