• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western North Carolina flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Always timid to i.d. flycatchers without hearing them as often happens during fall migration. I saw this bird yesterday and saw a completely yellow/orange lower mandible but was unable to get a picture. Today's pictures are not great but I was happy to get any kind of focus through the willow branches. The second picture better shows the eye ring which looked more like a spot at the rear of the eye when I first saw it.
I have seen Yellow-bellied Flycatchers in Maine and once, years ago, locally. If that i.d. is correct, this would be a new yard bird, however.

Songbird migration is going strong here; warblers, vireos and yes, flycatchers every day.

Thanks for any help-

Steve

Attachments

• Flycatcher.jpg
    Flycatcher.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Flycatcher 2.jpg
    Flycatcher 2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 79
From what I can see, the primary extension looks quite long and the throat kind of whitish, so I would guess Acadian Flycatcher, but not stake much upon that

Andy

Thanks for your comments, Kratter. Lots of confusing information out there both in books and on the web. I've now read that first year Acadian's can have a yellowish throat. Cornell has this to say:
In fall can be confused with Yellow-bellied Flycatcher because of yellowish on throat and underparts. Yellow-bellied has shorter bill and tail, and the throat is more grayish yellow (compared with clear yellow in acadian).

Audubon adds:
Olive green above, whitish or sometimes yellow below (especially on flanks and belly), with distinct white eye ring.

A binder posted photos of both birds, in hand, for comparison:
http://bsbobirdbander.blogspot.com/2010_05_01_archive.html
He doesn't identify which bird is which though! By his description, I would think his caption is possibly reversed from the position of the birds.

IMHO, none of this or anything else I've read, helps much to identify the bird in the picture I've posted. Without any positive identification, I'll have to list it as Empid (sp) like others that pass through here in the fall.

Steve

Steve,
please note the wordings about paler mandible and paler underside in Acadian, both indicating that the order in the heading might be correct.

Another thing I have read, that I would like to see comments on: Yellow-bellied often shows a teardrop extension of the eye ring, especially behind the eye. Anyone knows if that is true?

Niels

Hi, Niels -
The first day I saw the bird, I did not see the complete eye ring but that slight extension of the eye ring that you mention. The first picture I posted shows how the white at the back of the eye seems more pronounced.

Re the blog post, I agree about that wording but when he claims that "the Yellow-bellied has a very rounded head", the bird on the right (the Acadian) actually fits that description better. Also, do you see any yellow in the eye ring of the left hand bird? If you do, I swear I'll make an appointment with an optometrist!

I didn't see that same bird today. A cold front dropped temps dramatically overnight and there is a good deal fewer migrants here now. |8.| They'll be in your yard soon!

Steve

Thanks. I'll save the picture for remembering it as the one that got away. Note to self: Improve photography skills!

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back