• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Pawn Shop Find (1 Viewer)

ChadHahn

I had to go up to Phoenix today and that meant different pawn shops to explore. I found a nice pair of binoculars and had a very unusual experience.

I went into the pawn shop and looked in the case at the binoculars. Most were the cheapest Chinese junk but I saw some interesting looking older porros on the back of the shelf.

I asked to see the binoculars and when the case was opened, I pulled out the most interesting looking pair. The pawn shop's sticker said "Hunter 8x30 $24.99". Sure enough on one of the top covers it had a picture of a pointing dog and said Hunter 8x30. When I looked at the cap on top of the hinge I saw Swift!

I took a look through them. The right view was nice and clear but the left didn't look to great. I looked through the front objectives and in the left side is I can't tell what, either dust or mold. But it was still only the second pair of Swifts that I've seen in a pawn shop or thrift store and in far better shape than the first pair I saw. I figured if the price was right I'd get them and maybe even send them off to get looked at.

I handed the binoculars to the girl and asked if they would take $20 for them. She said she would see what she could do and went to the computer. Here's where the unusual experience occurred. Most times, I make an offer and am told that it's new on the floor and they can't discount it or some reason why they can't go lower than the new price they have on their well used pair of Nikon Action binoculars, but today after looking on the computer the girl said, "How about fifteen plus tax?" It was the first time my offer was countered with a lower one! They must have been sitting on the shelf for quite some time. Of course I agreed and even asked if they had a case. She said they recently threw away a lot of cases but found something to put them in. I was hoping for the original Swift case but oh well.

Cosmetically they are in good shape and focus smoothly.

I'll take and post pictures tomorrow.

Chad

Hi Chad,

Your 8x30 Hunter is probably Model 711 and made in the mid-1960s. It has a very wide field of 420', and a uniquely sculptured body that was shared with only four other models.

Could you tell us the serial number and any maker's marks on the frame? Maker's marks would look like J-xx, or B-xxx.

Thanks,
Ed

It is a 711 and was probably made in 1969 if I'm reading the serial number correctly. It's 7-698043.

I can't find any maker's marks. I don't see them on the hinge and most of the rest of the binocular is covered in leatherette.

Around the right retaining ring is written: Quintar UV 8X . RLE 21.1 . 420 ft. at 1000 yds. .

Chad

Here are some pictures of the binoculars. In the last picture I tried to take a picture of the mold.

Chad

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 233
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 261
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 355
Here are the last of the photos.

Chad

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 280
Hello Chad,

From the pictures, it looks like the prisms are large enough to avoid vignetting.
It would appear to be an attempt at a first rate 8x30. Unfortunately, cleaning the mould might not be bring the glass back as mould sometimes etches the glass.

Happy collecting,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I can't tell if it's mold or not. Most mold I've seen on optics was more of a spider web kind of thing spreading across the glass. This looks more like dust caught between the elements. Of course that could be a kind of mold I (in my very limited experience) haven't seen before.

Chad

I can't tell if it's mold or not. Most mold I've seen on optics was more of a spider web kind of thing spreading across the glass. This looks more like dust caught between the elements. Of course that could be a kind of mold I (in my very limited experience) haven't seen before.

Chad

Chad,

They look good.

I would recommend that you send these to Nicolas Crista. http://www.nrcoptics.com/

Nick was in charge of Swift's repair service when they were located in Boston. If they can be cleaned up I'm sure he knows how to do it. He's honest and affordable.

Ed

Hello Chad and Ed,

At one time, more binoculars were sold to those who hunt or shoot, than to bird watchers. I suspect that this binocular was marketed to that market as the Audubons were marketed to bird watchers.

Happy collecting,
Arthur :hi:

Hi Arthur,

Hope you're doing well.

Renze and I have a fairly extensive database of Swift Instrument products, and some Swift-Anderson too. Perhaps more than any other brand, it is quite apparent that Swift model names were selected to appeal to different market segments. How much the configurations actually correspond to what the market segments need, however, is a debatable question.

Best,
Ed

Chad,

Your Hunter was part of a series of 6 binoculars issued by Swift in the second part of the 1960's and early 1970's (high serial number I've seen is 7-70****). They were made by Miyako Seiki (JL-B32) / Musashi (JL-E34) and as noted by Ed have a rather unusual body design. If the suffix 7 in the serial number corresponds with Miyako Seiki - and I believe it does - they made more binoculars for Swift at the time, be it in a more common body style.

During the time they were in production some changes were made, notably on the eyecup design and the FoV. The first types came with screw in-screw out eyecups, the last type with roll-down rubber cups. Small cosmetic alterations can be observed as well. One model, the 8x40, even acquired a different name in these last stage.
Here are the models:

Model 711 Hunter 8x30 420ft at 1000yds 8.0 deg.

Model 710 Marlin 6x30 472ft at 1000yds 9.0deg.

Model 712 Sportstar 7x35 425ft at 1000yds 8.1 deg
Model 712 Sportstar 7x35 420ft at 1000yds

Model 713 Highland 8x35 393ft at 1000yds 7.5 deg.
Model 713 Highland 8x35 420ft at 1000yds 8.0 deg.

Model 721 Chevy Chase 8x40 393ft at 1000yds 7.5 deg.
Model 721 Classic 8x40 376ft at 1000yds 7.2 deg.

Model 739 Allsport 7x35 578ft at 1000yds 11 deg.

Renze

Hi Renze,

You're getting to be a veritable fount of information.

Swift had a propensity to change field of view for the same model number, and it may be true that eye relief changed in a reciprocal fashion.

That might be an interesting question to explore.

But I'm not sure why. :h?:

Ed

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back