• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck, Sweden (1 Viewer)

LMN

Student
Hi

Can everyone help me with this duck, it's the one standing a little alone straight behind the male mallard in one photo and flapping it's wings in the other.

As shown in the pictures the duck is smaller than mallard, the bill is black and yellow not orange as in mallard, the leg colour is also a little different from mallard, the speculum is blackish not blue, the breast is more finely spotted than mallard, and there is no markings in the head as in female mallard.

It was photographed at Möruddens Camping at Hammarö just south of the swedish town Karlstad.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Lars Michael, Copenhagen

Attachments

• And sp Mörudden, Hammarö 2. juli 2007.jpg
    And sp Mörudden, Hammarö 2. juli 2007.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 162
  • And sp Mörudden, Hammarö2 2. juli 2007.jpg
    And sp Mörudden, Hammarö2 2. juli 2007.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 139
I almost said its a Jackdaw :-O

Anyway, I don't think its a pure species, mostly mallard but mixed with something else. I've done a mental survey but I can't think of any of the duck family that would fit.

I'm interested in other comments.

Hi

I thought of some kind of mallard hybrid as well. But i don't know with what.

To Tarzzz:
It's not a guy, it's my girlfriend feeding the ducks, so that i could get a descent picture of the strange duck. :)

Regards
LM

Ok.. sorry, hard to see if it's a male or female... What is she giving them ? Looks like a mosquito-spirale (Myggspiral). ???

//Ben

HI Tarzz

She was feeding them those small round breads, Polar bröd tror jag dom heter, the round thing is the lock to the sewers.

regards
LM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back