• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-Crooked Beak Magpie (1 Viewer)

Positive1

This is my Magpie "Crooked Beak" that I've taken care of for 2 years. She visits me everyday and even comes in the house to socialize. Her bottom beak goes to her left and the top goes to the right and they both extend around 1 and a half inches past normal. This is her on my deck-

Attachments

• crooked beak 020.jpg
    crooked beak 020.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 60
  • crooked beak 021.jpg
    crooked beak 021.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 59
  • crooked beak 022.jpg
    crooked beak 022.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 56
  • crooked beak 023.jpg
    crooked beak 023.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 93
Here is couple of her coming in the house saying hi and getting ready to eat. The other pic is after she ate and taking a little with her. Usually she will pack her mouth full, I guess she was using her manners for the camera. Hope you like.
Ed

Attachments

• crooked beak, stencils 010.jpg
    crooked beak, stencils 010.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 70
  • crooked beak, stencils 011.jpg
    crooked beak, stencils 011.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 48
Thank you for the info and the kind words!!

I had a exciting day today!! "Crooked Beak" came by this morning acting very excited, talking while she was eating, she was being very loud and just couldn't contain herself. She wasn't nervous or scared but I knew something was up. I thought she might be bringing her group/flock by for a get together (she's done that before). She finished eating and ended up leaving, so I started putting food out on the deck. I then noticed that all the tweety birds around the house started to chirp louder and louder, almost like in stereo surround sound effect. Then I started hearing a lot of Madpies talking from down the street. So I grabbed my camera a got this pic of "Crooked Beak" in the middle talking to the magpies on the roof.
So, I go back inside, finished up with the food for the deck. The Magpies start getting louder and louder, getting closer and closer and she ends up showing up with one of her babies that I've never seen before.
So, she goes over and starts showing her baby where to eat food, and the baby wants the food that's in her mouth= the baby sounds just like "Squeaker" ("Cooked Beaks" partner) when it talks-lol.
The baby decides it wants no part of what mama is doing and decides to check out the railing-
So, baby goes on railing where mama goes-

Attachments

• Crooked Beak and her babies 002.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 002.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 008.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 008.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 011.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 011.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 014.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 014.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 017.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 017.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 48
Then baby gets down and starts feeling comfy about the situation and starts strutting around flapping it's wings-
Crooked Beak leaves and goes and gets two other babies and brings them over to show them where and how to eat-
The one learns very quickly from mama-
And begins to eat-
The other one learns quick too but wants to eat by itself-

Attachments

• Crooked Beak and her babies 018.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 018.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 35
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 026.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 026.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 029.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 029.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 41
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 030.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 030.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 028.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 028.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 38
Once "Crooked Beak" and the babies got done eating and left, "Squeaker" (her mate) showed up to eat-
"Long Tail" too showed up to eat and celebrate-
Even the seagulls were happy-
"Crooked Beak" came back after dropping off babies to get a bite to eat. I told her how proud and happy I was of her and how she is such a good mama-
After she was done eating, she went over by her favorite railing and raised her leg showing how happy she is about how the day went. Hope you enjoys hearing about my day.
Ed

Attachments

• Crooked Beak and her babies 032.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 032.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 033.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 033.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 041.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 041.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 036.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 036.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Crooked Beak and her babies 034.jpg
    Crooked Beak and her babies 034.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 33
Then baby gets down and starts feeling comfy about the situation and starts strutting around flapping it's wings-
Crooked Beak leaves and goes and gets two other babies and brings them over to show them where and how to eat-
The one learns very quickly from mama-
And begins to eat-
The other one learns quick too but wants to eat by itself-

Hi Positive and welcome to BF

It is good to know that there are people who devote their time to support birds, and your Magpies must know that they are in safe hands

So sad to see that birds are inflicted with deformities...and in the one area too! :-C

Thank you too Kathy for the kind words! I'm glad I found this site!!

I've always had a passion for helping animals all my life. Even to the point where I went to Valdez for the oil spill back in 1989 and rescued oily birds and wildlife. I feel that if I can do anything within my power to help or rescue an animal, I will do it. When people say "let nature take it's course" and not do anything when they can, I say to myself, I'm part of nature and I will do something instead or sitting on the sidelines watching something suffer. That way, I can feel better knowing I tried to help, just like how I would for a person.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back