• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magic moment, superb birds, brilliant day. (1 Viewer)

Reader

Well, what a magic day we had today. Remarkably, earlier in the week, my mate sent me some photos that I couldn’t believe. They were of a Nuthatch feeding from his hand. Now I wanted a bit of that and so it transpired that we went to the Sandwell Park Farm, which isn’t very far from the West Bromwich Albion FC ground (not the RSPB reserve). Within 20 minutes I had realised a dream I didn’t know I had, until I had received those photos, when a Nuthatch dropped onto my hand, not once but 4 times. What a magic moment that was. I can assure you I will be back there a few times, hopefully when the light is better as I had to take photos whilst upping the ISO to 400 to get some speed up on the camera. Certainly I want to take my missus there so she has the chance of having this little beauty on her hand.

I have attached some photos of this bird.

Whilst it was great having such a friendly bird I must mention that 2 other Nuthatches plus various Blue & Great Tit’s plus Robins, Dunnock’s and a very noisy Coal Tit also came inches away from us, all but the Dunnock and Coal Tit feeding from some food we had put out on a stump only inches away from us.

To carry on this successful theme it was decided to go after the R R Swallow at Swithland Reservoir. As soon as we arrived we met Scampo (the famous Loughborough birder LOL) and he pointed to some trees where some Bramblings and a Lesserpecker had been seen. Scampo was just leaving but we kept in touch via our mobiles to tell him of our progress. Having told him the following tale I think he may have been a tad envious (do I hear a big aahhhh)

We looked for a few minutes but the Bramblings and the Woodpecker didn’t show so it was decided to move further along the reservoir until we came to a clear spot. Straight away we spotted about 30 Sand Martins (they were a new year tick) but try as we could we couldn’t locate the R R Swallow. We moved further up towards the dam and came to another clearing but this time the Martins seemed to fragment into smaller groups and they were now flying at a greater height eventually getting lost to view.

Then came surprise No 1 when a Red Kite loomed over the pines and drifted over our heads. It circled briefly above us then disappeared in an easterly direction.

The Martins had disappeared completely so it was decided to go after the Woodpecker. 10 minutes later the L S Woodpecker flew from behind us and straight behind an ivy-clad tree, in front of us, and out of view. Luckily my mate got onto it plus a couple of other birders as well. Year tick No 2. Soon after we were watching 6+ Bramblings feeding on a track at the side of the wood.

It was time to go to the dam after the R R Swallow. As soon as we got out of the car another surprise came our way. My mate picked out a Willow Warbler by its solitary call (not the usual sorrowful call). It only took a few seconds to find it at the top of a nearby Birch Tree. Year tick No 3. At the dam someone pointed out a Drake Mandarin (year tick No 4) to the right of the reservoir.

We stood there for about an hour before someone shouted “Stork over the pines”. Sure enough a White Stork (year tick No 5) was spotted flying towards us and soon disappeared behind us in a northerly direction. I don’t know if it was the same bird but not too long after a White Stork was being reported over Blaby.

About an hour later the Sand Martins were back and as I scanned them one bird stood out and I managed to watch it for quite a while before confidently calling the R R Swallow (year tick No 6). At that time no one else could get onto it but 5 minutes later one of the birders got it in his scope and soon everyone was on the bird.

Now that was what I call an extremely enjoyable day out. Some magic birds coupled with a magic moment. What more could you want from a days birding.

Attachments

• Nuthatch 0767.jpg
    Nuthatch 0767.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Nuthatch 0754.jpg
    Nuthatch 0754.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 191
  • Nuthatch 0768.jpg
    Nuthatch 0768.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 193
And while that little lot showed itself to you, I was heading up the M1 to Sheffield to buy a moth trap! Doh! But I had already managed that illusive lsw, the bramblings and, of course, the r-r swallow.

I'm glad Leicestershire showed you its best, though. I only wish I could have been more hospitable instead of rushing off - a cup of tea and a slice of home-made cake next visit, at the very least. We can be as welcoming as that little beauty of a nuthatch, you know!

PS There's a picture of the r-r swallow on the LROS web page - considering the distance and speed of that bird, that's some shot!

http://www.lros.org.uk/News.htm

Last edited:
That's amazing.
I've never seen a Nutach in real life never mind the possibility of holding one. I think that i'll be getting over there very soon.
Thanks, Steven

You can see one any day in the car park to Swithland Woods, Steven. Guaranteed (but it won't feed from your hand!).

Hi Steve

We would have loved to have come to yours but I had to get my mate home plus I had to take my missus to work so I didn't have the time. We will have to arrange another day. I will be in touch.

Shame you missed all those birds though (big sigh!!)

Now THAT was the sort of day that really makes birding and natural history the best hobby in the world :t: . There were a few Life Ticks there for me...Red Kite,R R Swallow,Lesser Woodpecker...even ONE of those would have had me grinning like an idiot for the rest of the day :-O .

GILL

What a day.

I was reading about that Stork on the pager as moved from Hanging Haughton in Northants drifting north & I wondered if anyone would pick it up again. Of all the places it went over it chose probably the most well watched place in the midlands that day! And a day after I was there!!!

Some people have all the luck!

The swallow was very tricky to pick up and its hard to give directions when all you can say is

"there's some cloud behind it!"

or

"its in the blue now"

or maybe even

"there's a tree behind it"

Tom.

And can you honestly say, hand on heart, that it was a red-rumped swallow, Tom? Until yesterday, I couldn't - but the view then was good and this morning excellent.

Howdy Scampo,

I hope you aren't insinuating anything ;)

I've seen a few in Britain and 100+ abroad and I always find them to be pretty distinctive. Once you cop an eyefull of the black vent you're pretty much home and dry. You have to get a good look to see the collar and make a decent assesment of its tail length to count out House Martin, but prolonged views nearly always allow you to see these features. The only really misleading thing is they never actually seem to have red rumps. Usually white & creamy orange at the most. Anyone else noticed this?

Tom.

Hi Steve

So I see that you were there again this morning. What's the fascination with being at this site each day? I'm sorry but all the best birds went through yesterday (after you left ). They're not coming back LOL

The RRS can be difficult birds to spot, thankfully I have seen literally hundreds of them abroad, and hope to add to that quantity next month when in Spain. Luckily, yesterday, the bird came straight over me and the task of the ID became much clearer. But as Tom states, seeing the black vent & the long tail streamers is the clincher.

A more charismatic bird than a nuthatch is hard to find. Their spread northwards through Britain due to the dutch elm disease remains an often overlooked success story amidst the usual doom and gloom reports about our birds.
I love the way they hang horizontally from tree trunks. Also their ringing calls are just so distinctive and unmistakeable when learnt.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back