• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Melanesia (1 Viewer)

Hei Adam,

My copy of "Birds of Melanesia" in under way from Amazon. Incredible your artwork and style. The Nicobar Pigeons on the forest ground from your site are amazing! I loved the Piapiacs and Oxpeckers art too... Congratulations!
I also like to drawing birds... ( not soo good as your art of course :-O). This is my blog

avesedesenhos.blogspot.com

Last edited:
Got my copy earlier this week...saving Sunday for proper viewing but so far...wish I'd had this in Spring for the WPO...some great stuff inside!

McMadd

Hey X,

Firstly cheers!!
Yep, they did pretty well with the resizing issue and the more I look at the book the more it doesn't bother me as much! I thought a couple of my plates came out a little dark too but that seems to happen quite a bit with certain colours it appears. Re the VWE, it never got picked up by Guy on the plate critiques so I guess he was happy with it! Having never seen one and only having a single specimen to work from I could only go on what he says
Yes, I've now seen your plate at somewhat larger size (http://www.birdlife.org/news/news/2009/03/new_bird_species.html) and there it is indeed clearer (I'm guessing the bird may be overexposed somewhat in the photo).
I waited ten years or more for a picture of that bird!

Ah yeah, forgotten about that paper. The Santa Cruz Shrikebill illustration was used in a paper for its' species status too I believe...how it was ever thought to be a ssp I don't know!!
Jose - cheers!! Checked out your blog and your stuff's pretty damn good too. We'll have to meet up sometime and go sketching some Brazilians (that could be taken literally I guess...!!) ;)

My copy arrived a week or two ago and yesterday I had a chance to sit & study it properly.

What a tour de force ! An incredible work, which isn't just a field guide, but a site guide too.

And Adam's illustrations to boot! Fantastic value - hope I get to use it in the field one day.

And Adam's illustrations to boot! Fantastic value - hope I get to use it in the field one day.

That is the point where I so far have a problem justifying a purchase ... I have not even been to any mainland Asian sites yet :eek!:

Niels

Just found this thread, nice one Ads, very much looking forward to seeing the book :t: Love the pics, but what's that big black thing in the bottom left corner of the linked cuckoo-shrike/honeyeater plate? Surely there are enough real birds in Melanesia to depict without having to resort to making up non-existant ones? ;)

My copy arrived a week or two ago and yesterday I had a chance to sit & study it properly.

What a tour de force ! An incredible work, which isn't just a field guide, but a site guide too.

To echo Halftwo, I got mine for Christmas and it is even better than expected!

Lovely work Adam! Similarly, I suspect it will be quite a while before it is used in the field.... but I can dream o:)

Just found this thread, nice one Ads, very much looking forward to seeing the book :t: Love the pics, but what's that big black thing in the bottom left corner of the linked cuckoo-shrike/honeyeater plate? Surely there are enough real birds in Melanesia to depict without having to resort to making up non-existant ones? ;)

Would that be Crow honeyeater, Larry?

I kept thinking how on earth did Larry plan his trip around Melanesia without this book?

My Princeton edition is said to be on its way soon. Three different prices from BookDepository. My preorder @ €26.02; if ordered now on their .com site € 28.45, but on their .co.uk site € 31.46. Thus, in this case it's the .com site that is cheaper. Really worthwhile checking both it seems.

Adam, how can I tell which plates are yours? I don't see any indication in the Princeton version. (I was just curious :) )

Grant,
Both versions are 448 pages long. I would imagine, therefore, that they are virtually identical, just different publishing houses. The Helm version has for Illustration Credits: Richard Allen, Plates 1-20; Adam Bowley, Plates 46-86; John Cox, Plates 31-45; Tony Disley, Plates 21-30.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back