• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ex Zeiss vs Zeiss HD vs Leica HD PLUS (1 Viewer)

mnich

Recently I sold Fuji FMTR SX 10x50 . My big nose - though converted eyecups - did not fit comfortably between the eyecups. He troubled the lack of a central focus. I decided to refresh my understanding of the market 10x50-56.
I came the shops and I liked three positions - Zeiss Conquest HD 10x56, 10x50 Leica HD Plus, Docter 10x50 Nobilem. 10x50 Swarovision did not take into account the purpose - is the twin to SV EL 8.5 which already have. I wanted something else.
The first thing that surprised me is the prevalence Zeiss Conquest HD 10x56 in relation to the Zeiss FL 10x56. Now I do not want to enter into technical details, but if Conqest was more expensive than FL - I would choose the former. Leica also make a good impression. So I decided to put all three together and do a little test.
Docter binoculars is not ideal, but I was impressed with the performance in comparison with the other two. Firstly, what is clearly visible 3D effect. Here, large porro simply outclasses everything that is called the roof. In this category was the weakest Leica. Image sharpness in the center - Leica and Docter eqally, Zeiss a bit too. Sharpening the shore - the only category where Docter fell the least, although the field of view is comparable to the Leica. Practically speaking, when viewed centrally, it does not even matter that much. Zeiss and Leica alike.
Brightness. Here Docter shows real class. Maybe because it is only 10 air-to-glass surfaces, prisms are glued together. Docter presented the most vivid images and clear, especially in the darker places, and most evident difference in a darkened room under artificial light. Chromatic aberration, linear distortion best corrected was in Nobilem, Zeiss - slightly worse, least Leica.
The shade of white - Zeiss standard, slightly greenish-yellow, Leica gently in red closer to neutral, Docter - slightly yellow-greenish. For the layman probably imperceptible differences.
Ergonomics. All three binoculars produce a pleasant sensation of holding in their hands, are quite stable and here I had no special favorite. Though I must admit that the eyecups were most comfortable in Zeiss, then the Leica. I'm going crazy at this point in Docter had to wrap rubber cups to see the whole field, and still are not as comfortable as in the rest of the test. On the other hand, at the memory of my agony with Fuji .... no, it is not bad.
I often read the forum about the WOW effect.
If I understand this is on the first impression. You need some time to stay with binoculars to get rid of the first emotions associated with new purchase and see if this WOW effect remain. After nearly a month of fun with Nobilem, to say that next EL 8.5 SV Docter still makes an impression and perhaps even greater than Swarovision.
In summary, Docter is a little underrated equipment, I do not know, maybe if it was more expensive than Leica, would attract more attention. But regardless of price, it gives me more fun in the optical fun. We adults are not rare, when choosing an instrument guided by price, brand, what is the implied prestige. It just so happens that most of the best devices are expensive and branded. Docter here is a bit like Cinderella. So I think that next time I will take with me to shop a little daughter of my brother, who still knows very little about our world - the world "adult", and ask her opinion that her binoculars like most about - obviously giving her a look through each. What do you think, what will be its assessment?

p.s. Do not take this very seriously, it was just fun without the use of instruments LABORATORY, but based on the given more than thirty years of experience with various optics from different manufacturers.

Recently I sold Fuji FMTR SX 10x50 . My big nose - though converted eyecups - did not fit comfortably between the eyecups. He troubled the lack of a central focus. I decided to refresh my understanding of the market 10x50-56.
I came the shops and I liked three positions - Zeiss Conquest HD 10x56, 10x50 Leica HD Plus, Docter 10x50 Nobilem. 10x50 Swarovision did not take into account the purpose - is the twin to SV EL 8.5 which already have. I wanted something else.
The first thing that surprised me is the prevalence Zeiss Conquest HD 10x56 in relation to the Zeiss FL 10x56. Now I do not want to enter into technical details, but if Conqest was more expensive than FL - I would choose the former. Leica also make a good impression. So I decided to put all three together and do a little test.
Docter binoculars is not ideal, but I was impressed with the performance in comparison with the other two. Firstly, what is clearly visible 3D effect. Here, large porro simply outclasses everything that is called the roof. In this category was the weakest Leica. Image sharpness in the center - Leica and Docter eqally, Zeiss a bit too. Sharpening the shore - the only category where Docter fell the least, although the field of view is comparable to the Leica. Practically speaking, when viewed centrally, it does not even matter that much. Zeiss and Leica alike.
Brightness. Here Docter shows real class. Maybe because it is only 10 air-to-glass surfaces, prisms are glued together. Docter presented the most vivid images and clear, especially in the darker places, and most evident difference in a darkened room under artificial light. Chromatic aberration, linear distortion best corrected was in Nobilem, Zeiss - slightly worse, least Leica.
The shade of white - Zeiss standard, slightly greenish-yellow, Leica gently in red closer to neutral, Docter - slightly yellow-greenish. For the layman probably imperceptible differences.
Ergonomics. All three binoculars produce a pleasant sensation of holding in their hands, are quite stable and here I had no special favorite. Though I must admit that the eyecups were most comfortable in Zeiss, then the Leica. I'm going crazy at this point in Docter had to wrap rubber cups to see the whole field, and still are not as comfortable as in the rest of the test. On the other hand, at the memory of my agony with Fuji .... no, it is not bad.
If I understand this is on the first impression. You need some time to stay with binoculars to get rid of the first emotions associated with new purchase and see if this WOW effect remain. After nearly a month of fun with Nobilem, to say that next EL 8.5 SV Docter still makes an impression and perhaps even greater than Swarovision.
In summary, Docter is a little underrated equipment, I do not know, maybe if it was more expensive than Leica, would attract more attention. But regardless of price, it gives me more fun in the optical fun. We adults are not rare, when choosing an instrument guided by price, brand, what is the implied prestige. It just so happens that most of the best devices are expensive and branded. Docter here is a bit like Cinderella. So I think that next time I will take with me to shop a little daughter of my brother, who still knows very little about our world - the world "adult", and ask her opinion that her binoculars like most about - obviously giving her a look through each. What do you think, what will be its assessment?

p.s. Do not take this very seriously, it was just fun without the use of instruments LABORATORY, but based on the given more than thirty years of experience with various optics from different manufacturers.
Note: The 10X50 Swarovision is not a twin of the 8.5X42 Swarovision. I have them both and they are not, let me repeat, not twins.

Hello Pileatus,

I agree with you, are not identical.
As you can see, on this forum it is multi-user, and a lot of divergent views on the same issues.
Of course, that 10x is not as 8,5x, but, for me, binoculars are not only optical system, but also touch eyecups to the eyes, the texture of the shell casing binoculars, its smell, and also aware of what I currently have in my hands ...
That's why I wrote about twin similarity.

:eek:)

Last edited:
In summary, Docter is a little underrated equipment, I do not know, maybe if it was more expensive than Leica, would attract more attention.

I think the difference you're seeing is the difference between a well-made porro and well-made roofs. Even though this view is not really popular here with some, I think a well-made porro will *always* be better than a roof of comparable quality.

Now, if only one of the big boys were to make an up-to-date, waterproof porro with modern eyepieces ... That's not going to happen though. Too much money to be made with roofs, and roofs *do* have some advantages, mainly physical advantages. It's funny though, in a world where more and more people resemble big porros, most seem to prefer thin, slim roofs. Maybe I should start a thread claiming that the apparent preference for roofs has something to do with more and more people being overweight ... ;););)

BTW, you might want to have a look at the Swarovski Habicht some time if you like the Docter.

Hermann

Last edited:
Hello Hermann,

the other side of the coin, is that you need to see a butterfly from a distance of 2 meters, even the best Porro has to throw a white towel in the ring ...
In a word, one pair of binoculars is not enough if you want to have maximum optical sensations.

I think the difference you're seeing is the difference between a well-made porro and well-made roofs. Even though this view is not really popular here with some, I think a well-made porro will *always* be better than a roof of comparable quality.

Now, if only one of the big boys were to make an up-to-date, waterproof porro with modern eyepieces ... That's not going to happen though.
Hermann

The Canon 10x42 ISL is an up to date, waterproof porro with modern eyepieces. A superb glass. The image stabilization is just icing on the cake.
Sells for half the price of the Swaro on Amazon.

Mnich
I enjoyed your mini-review very much.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back