• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

newbie - which ones?? (1 Viewer)

Rosey78

Hi All,

I'm new to Bins, I'm looking to buy however I'm now at the stage where I've done too much research and confused myself!

I've decided to ask the experts for their for recommendations....

I have a budget of up to £1000, but will spend less if I can get a good pair that will last.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Rosey,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you used binoculars quite a bit or is this your first pair? It's going to help us quite a bit if you can an you give us any idea what works for you. Size, weight, magnification, objective diameter , glasses friendly, and details like that. Have you tried any near the top of your price range? What did you like and dislike?

Cheers,

David

Welcome to Birdforum Rosey. The subject of which binoculars to buy is a very personal thing. People will swear that 8 x 30 / 32 /42, roof / porroprism, alpha / non-alpha are the only ones you should buy. Others will only consider certain manufacturers, and vehemently oppose anyone who disagrees. As it will be you, and your eyes that'll be using them I would recommend you try as many makes / formats as you can, including explaining to other birdwatchers your 'dilemma' and asking if you can have a quick look through theirs. If the view is what you require, and they feel comfortable to your eyes and hands then, go for them regardless of what others say ( and enjoy using them ). :t:

B.T.W. I've got a pair of 8 x 43 Hawke Frontier ED as my "second" full size bins. They may be a bit long for some people, but they are embarrassingly good for c. £300.

Last edited:
Welcome!

You have a budget that should buy you a very good binocular, so nothing to worry from this side. General rule of thumb; spend it all, you won't regret it. I'd recommend you to proceed like this, to get your choice done:
- Describe here for what you intend to use the binoculars. What you want to watch, in which situations and landscapes and at what times of the day
- You will then surely get a lot of suggestions here for configurations (e.g. 8x32, 10x42 etc.) and specific binocular types or brands.
- First you should focus on finding out of what would be the most suitable configuration for your purpose.
- Once you got a feel for what configuration of binocular you need, you collect some ideas on brands and makes, go to a shop and compare some of those.
- If one feels right, buy it.
- Say thanks to the people here and never return (or you'll end up soon wondering if you bought the right bin) ;)

I've used them a fair bit over years but only recently appreciated that I would like to see things abit better, I've been using an old pair that were given to me 10x50 Miranda. They weigh 860g. I find they shake a bit too much when focused in and overall not that great for detail. So this will be the first pair that I will buy. Mainly going to use them in a large garden with a cluster of large trees at the end, garden surrounded by woods. So I will not be moving around with them lots, I don't wear glasses .

I haven't tried any as I not found anywhere local that would have a large range for me to try?

Also not sure what alphas mean? But I assume they are the higher end? But out of my budget?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've used them a fair bit over years but only recently appreciated that I would like to see things abit better, I've been using an old pair that were given to me 10x50 Miranda. They weigh 860g. I find they shake a bit too much when focused in and overall not that great for detail. So this will be the first pair that I will buy. Mainly going to use them in a large garden with a cluster of large trees at the end, garden surrounded by woods. So I will not be moving around with them lots, I don't wear glasses .

I haven't tried any as I not found anywhere local that would have a large range for me to try?

Also not sure what alphas mean? But I assume they are the higher end? But out of my budget?

Thanks

If you are not into watching butterflies and such, I would recommend the Swarovski 8x42 SLC! A tried and tested, traditional, all-round bin. It has a close focusing distance of 3.2 meters, but that won't matter for most birding. It is about 1.200 GBP, but you can probably find it even cheaper than that! :t:

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Swarovski_Binoculars_SLC_Range

If your location is Brentwood, Essex you could try the Visitor Centre at Hanningfield or Abberton Reservoir. They have a modest selection of models, and occassionally hold "Optic Events". This could give you an idea of your preferred specification.

If you feel a bit too much handshake with the 10x50, this means propbably that a little lower magnification would suit you better. Using it mostly in the garden means weight is not a big issue, and you can go for the standard 42 class. So indeed you end up with 8x42, as recommended by HighNorth.

The SLC is most likely an excellent choice. Alternatives to compare with could be (all a bit cheaper than the SLC):
- Zeiss Conquest HD
- Leica Trinovid
- Meopta Meostar
- Kowa Genesis

You should at least try 2-3 of those or others. Even though they are all good binos, on the end its very personal things that decide if it fits you...

Good luck!

Others have already come up with some of my suggestions but I'd add the relatively small and light Opticron Aurora 8x42 which is usually £800 but currently available for £500. Right at the top of your budget, I'm rather keen on the Vortex Razor HD as well.

David

B.T.W. I've got a pair of 8 x 43 Hawke Frontier ED as my "second" full size bins. They may be a bit long for some people, but they are embarrassingly good for c. £300.

It's definitely worth considering the better Chinese made binoculars as well which mostly sell for less than £500. The Frontier ED has been a favourite with the UK forum members, but the smaller single hinge Hawke Sapphire ED suites me better. The flat field of view Vanguard Endeavour EDII I think is remarkable for the price and quite a few here are enjoying the Zen Ray Prime, though mail order only for us in the UK.

David

Thanks all, it's good to see that some of ones I was looking at has been mentioned, sapphire, EDll, conquest HD.
Sapphire seems to be low in stock... Is that because it's popular or about to be replaced? endeavour looks good but again a lot of sites have the old one.... And the conquest I was worried about people saying about eyes not fitting if your not wearing glasses.

The Sapphire ED (8x or x10) are very good bino for the price ; the single hinge is better (for me) than double. You wouldn't be disapointed.

P.S. : Chris Goodhead Photographic propose all Hawke in stock (E bay or online site). Good service : low price for shipping in France -with tracking number and insurance :t:

Try a Kowa Genesis 8x33 from Eagle optics excellent binoculars, The Zeiss Fl 10x32 and 8x32 are excellent too but they cost more.

Thanks all for your feedback much appreciated!

So as an update - Today I managed to get to Hanningfield Reservoir in Essex today and I tried a 10x42 Sapphire (they did not have the x8) however I had a lot of trouble with it, I'm not sure what the issue was but I think it was my eye lashes getting in the way! I had the eye cups all the way out? does this sound right - or a possible different issue? I tried their nature trek 8x42 I had the same issue but not as much. The Sapphire optics looked much better though. I also tried the Opticron Countryman BGA HD and I had no "eye" lash issue with these and looked good.

I then went on to Rainham Mashes (RSPB) and tried their range BG and HDX range - the BG didn't seem to be as good as the country man or Sapphire, but the HDX were very good - however at £700 I wasn't sure if they were good compared to others in that price range. I also went to Thameside Nature Park but they only stocked the Hawkes. So after todays outing I now know why people say that MUST try them before buying I was amazed at the differences, in optics, looks, weight and comfort, so thanks for the advice (normally I just buy everything on the internet!)

So my dilemma now is that I need to try more out but have been to all my local places that I know off. How do people manage to try out a broad range of Bins?

P.s I brought my 3 year old son a cheap pair of bins... gave them to him yesterday morning before I went to work.....he has lost them already!

Last edited:
Rosey,

I don't know what the "eyelash" issue is. With 15mm ER and fully extended eye-cups it's possible the eye was too far from the lens and the view was narrowing, rather than being too close and getting blackouts but neither sound like your problem. Specially as the Countryman HD has even longer ER.

The Japanese made Countryman HD is one of my picks in the Opticron line-up. I think it's one of the sharper models at the price level. Coming from the Miranda I imagine the field curvature might be similar, but many look for models with flatter fields of view.

There are only relatively small number of retailers that stock a large number of brands and I'd guess Cley Spy on the north Norfolk coast might be about the nearest to you (Anyone know different?). If you can wait 'till August there is BirdFair at Rutland water. I think I visited 17 optics stands last time, it's rather overwhelming. Pete Gamby usually list various field days each month so keep and eye on those as well.

David

Just one hint:
If you put a bino to your eyes and it doesnt feel like an extension of YOUR hands and eyes, it wasnt made for you. Not matter what brand or type or price range. No matter whar every one else says.

So take your time and try as many as possible.
(Out of twelve binoculars I used within six months, only three did fit me!)

Last edited:
Hi Rosey,

Viking Optical are about an hour and forty from you.

Here is their current list : http://www.vikingopticalcentres.co.uk/binoculars?dir=asc&limit=all&order=price

For your budget the Kowa Genesis 8.5x44 ex-demo would probably be my first choice to try,
but iro £550.00 the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 is very easily the leader and then some.

Another option would be LCE : http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New-Equipment/?View=List&NewType=6&Order=PriceHi&Filter=Celestron&Filter=Hawke&Filter=Leica&Filter=NIkon&Filter=Opticron&Filter=Pulsar&Filter=STEINER&Filter=Swarovski&Filter=Vortex&Filter=Zeiss.

They have a branch in Colchester : http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Branch/?Branch=Colchester

Best wishes,

Last edited:
It's definitely worth considering the better Chinese made binoculars as well which mostly sell for less than £500. The Frontier ED has been a favourite with the UK forum members, but the smaller single hinge Hawke Sapphire ED suites me better. The flat field of view Vanguard Endeavour EDII I think is remarkable for the price and quite a few here are enjoying the Zen Ray Prime, though mail order only for us in the UK.

David

I agree with David entirely. The binoculars he mentions can all be excellent. Be careful with the Hawkes - try before you buy and make sure you get a good one.

I'd also recommend some of the more expensive Opticron models - the Countryman HD is excellent, as is the DBA S-Coat. I didn't care for the top of the range Aurora as much, but I'd like to try that again at some point as the times I=both times I've tried it I only had a few minutes with them in poor conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back