• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New kid on the block? (1 Viewer)

...A few hundred dollars, two suit cases, and a round trip to Kunming China are all that's required...

Yikes! But check out their warranty! What could they possibly be equipped to do "tune-up" -wise to their bins besides cleaning the exterior, replacing eyecups, and maybe adjusting the center hinge tension? One of the things that most impresses me about Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski is that they actually have the capacity to fix, rather than just replace, their bins.

In the "Honesty in Optics" section, I think the info about lens coatings is instructionally anachronistic. What optics except complete junk isn't fully multicoated these days? That info used to be important to be a savvy consumer, but these days I think would be more honest to breeze over it and spend more time on the specs that actually vary the most between competing products, like e.g. FOV in mid-priced 8x42 bins.

--AP

Last edited:
I think Frank and I have been talking to the same source. He called me day before yesterday and said he was going to call Frank as well.

I specifically inquired about country of origin and was told Japan. However those sure look a lot like the Monarch 7's. Who knows.

Last edited:
Yikes! But check out their warranty! What could they possibly be equipped to do "tune-up" -wise to their bins besides cleaning the exterior, replacing eyecups, and maybe adjusting the center hinge tension? One of the things that most impresses me about Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski is that they actually have the capacity to fix, rather than just replace, their bins.

In the "Honesty in Optics" section, I think the info about lens coatings is instructionally anachronistic. What optics except complete junk isn't fully multicoated these days? That info used to be important to be a savvy consumer, but these days I think would be more honest to breeze over it and spend more time on the specs that actually vary the most between competing products, like e.g. FOV in mid-priced 8x42 bins.

--AP

The old saying used to be:

"If you want something done right, do it yourself."

I would replace that with:

"If you want something done right, get up off the bucks or forget it."

Bill

Steve:

Thanks for that. Frank was a frequent poster, lastly remembered as the best Sightron
booster they will ever have. Not much since.

Steve, you are too honest, these sellers are just looking for the next pusher or promoter.

WJC, told it best above, he covered it completely.

Jerry

Funny Jerry. ;)

I visit here often but don't always post. Don't have the money to be buying $1000 bins anymore so..... :)

However, I do have five new loaner bins in my possession that I have to write reviews on...and, no, they aren't Stryka products.

As for the Stryka models, guess we will all find out when they hit the market. Bills comments probably aren't too far from the truth but if they actually do follow through with that warranty then it should prove interesting. Who knows who is actually running the company.

Funny Jerry. ;)

I visit here often but don't always post. Don't have the money to be buying $1000 bins anymore so..... :)

However, I do have five new loaner bins in my possession that I have to write reviews on...and, no, they aren't Stryka products.

As for the Stryka models, guess we will all find out when they hit the market. Bills comments probably aren't too far from the truth but if they actually do follow through with that warranty then it should prove interesting. Who knows who is actually running the company.

I'd say they are using contacts of info from the last gig.,
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/scott-myers/51/772/613

Funny Jerry. ;)

Frank:

Just to let you know, I'm not the optics snob that some think. I have a few "alphas"--the term of others, not me.

I also have some "Zetas"! I use them both. The idea should be to have fun looking at birds. While I am not authorized, I just like to sprinkle a touch of reality throughout. There are many folks who get so wrapped up in their favorite opinion--right or wrong--they forget what we're supposed to be here for (preposition at the end and all).

I'm neither an optics snob nor A-typer; I just spend my pastime ticking them off. I really never mean to, it's just discussing things as they really are sometimes does that for me. :t:

Bill

Steve:

Thanks for that. Frank was a frequent poster, lastly remembered as the best Sightron

Steve, you are too honest, these sellers are just looking for the next pusher or promoter.

Jerry

I dont know, he talked me into a Barska 12-36X50 Naturescape ED scope. You need to get out more. LOL

Bill,

My apologies if you thought my comments were directed at you and/or that I was taking a jab at optics snobs. It wasn't really. It was simply my stating the truth. I don't have the funds anymore to be reviewing models like I once did. It often seems that, at times, folks here aren't interested in models that cost less than $1000 ( porros excluded from that statement ;) ).

My interest over the past three or four years has been finding the diamond in the rough rather than the most technologically advanced consumer binocular available today....hence Jerry's comments about the Sightron. That goal is still my focus and I have a lot of fun doing it. Now is a great time not to have to spend a lot of money on optics.:)

Steve:

Jerry

Jerry,

Glad you think I'm honest. I try to be. Yes Bill is right. However when I get a binocular for review, regardless of who it is from, they never know beforehand what I will write in the review. If I think it is good enough that I'd use it as a personal piece of gear, I'll post the review. If not they get it back and I don't post anything. I'm sure they are looking for free publicity, that is pretty much a given. If they have something worthwhile, I don't mind supplying some. I'll go so far and no further.

When and if I see anything of this Styrka outfit, I do not know. Now, until I see something from this outfit and can comment further, I will...maybe.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Frank:

I am not an optics snob either. I like the Nikon 7x35 Aculon, and also the
Prostaff 7 8x42. I find them to be a good choice in this price range.

I suppose any new optics need someone to promote. It is hard to mix that in,
when that is the only reason you have posted.

This is a tough crowd here, and I mentioned my thoughts above.

Jerry

Bill,

My apologies if you thought my comments were directed at you and/or that I was taking a jab at optics snobs. It wasn't really. It was simply my stating the truth. I don't have the funds anymore to be reviewing models like I once did. It often seems that, at times, folks here aren't interested in models that cost less than $1000 ( porros excluded from that statement ;) ).

My interest over the past three or four years has been finding the diamond in the rough rather than the most technologically advanced consumer binocular available today....hence Jerry's comments about the Sightron. That goal is still my focus and I have a lot of fun doing it. Now is a great time not to have to spend a lot of money on optics.:)

There was no offence taken by me, and if there was, I deserved it for all times folks have forgotten to take their shots.

If that comment by that Perturbed guy, about the Barska ZOOM, was aimed at me, I'll give up my Texas citizenship!

Bill

There was no offence taken by me, and if there was, I deserved it for all times folks have forgotten to take their shots.

If that comment by that Perturbed guy, about the Barska ZOOM, was aimed at me, I'll give up my Texas citizenship!

Bill

LOL, nope I was mentioning that to Jerry.

After going back and rereading this thread this morning it would seem that a lot has been misinterpreted.

Jerry,

I wasn't calling you an optics snob. What I was saying is that it is often difficult these days to get folks interested in binoculars that don't cost an arm and a leg.

On the other hand, though I do kind of like being mentioned in the same sentence as the Sightron more often than not I have probably done a dozen reviews on optics since then so I am not sure your original statement is entirely accurate. For example.....Leupold Mojave, Nikon Monarch 7, Opticron Verano, Countryman and MM3 50 mm. The last of that group can somewhat explain my absence here in the binocular forum as of late. I have been spending most of my optics obsession over the past 7-8 months with both my spotting scopes and digiscoping. However, since some folks were kind enough to send me some binocular models to review I will be posting some new stuff soon. :)

About the whole promoting thing, that really wasn't my intention for starting this thread. Steve and I both talked to a retailer that had contact with the folks from Styrka at the Shot Show. He mentioned them to us as he knows that we both enjoy hearing about new products to hit the market. Nothing more to it than that. I just wanted to share it with you folks to see if anyone here heard of it yet.

Last edited:
After going back and rereading this thread this morning it would seem that a lot has been misinterpreted.
About the whole promoting thing, that really wasn't my intention for starting this thread. Steve and I both talked to a retailer that had contact with the folks from Styrka at the Shot Show. He mentioned them to us as he knows that we both enjoy hearing about new products to hit the market. Nothing more to it than that. I just wanted to share it with you folks to see if anyone here heard of it yet.

Ditto that comment. B :) I bet the dealer and I must have talked for nearly two hours. BTW in the spirit of full disclosure, none of the above conversation contained anything about reimbursement of any kind or amount.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back