• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch - Good Friday (1 Viewer)

I wonder if they will have a live webcam throughout the day on Good Friday, like they normally do on the BBC Red Button and on the Internet with live pictures of the seabirds, although it was missing from this years Winterwatch sadly.
Ian.

OH just pointed this out (got there before me JT ;))

A write up in Page 115 of the current Radio Times for interest

The programme is based at RSPB Bempton Cliffs

Looking forward to this tonight 21.00-22.00pm BBC 2 as link tells us

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007qgm3

Last edited:
Couldn't help thinking that the predation of avocet chicks by the swimming badger would have efficiently and quickly been stopped by the late Bert Axell (former Minsmere Warden).
Interested to see the graph of the numbers of breeding gannets, there were only about thirty pairs when I first visited Bempton. No fencing along the cliffs either, quite scary when our children were young.
Noticed Chris Packham sporting the new Zeiss SFs rather than his usual Nikons.

Last edited:
Couldn't help thinking that the predation of avocet chicks by the swimming badger would have efficiently and quickly been stopped by the late Bert Axell (former Minsmere Warden).

I couldn't understand why that badger wasn't 'despatched' that night or the next if it was the only one predating the nests. Tho' I suppose all the damage was done that once.

I couldn't understand why that badger wasn't 'despatched' that night or the next if it was the only one predating the nests. Tho' I suppose all the damage was done that once.

It's a shame that the Avocet eggs got eaten, but that doesn't alter the fact that it is illegal to kill or injure Badgers. If someone from the RSPB was to illegally kill it and get found out (and remember the huge number of cameras covering the site for SpringWatch!) then that would be a huge PR disaster, particularly with the background of Badger culls. Given the circumstances, tracking and new fencing were the best that could be done I'd say.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back