• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ptarmigan on Cairngorm (1 Viewer)

Steve Sutton

I was wondering if someone could advise me on the chances of seeing ptarmigan from the restaurant area on cairngorm mountain, thinking of going in a week or 2 and using the railway to access the top and could do with nailing one of these, also where's the best chance of seeing crested tit nearby , Thanks

There were quite a few Crested Tits at RSPB Loch Garten Osprey centre a couple of weeks ago, on the feeders, from the path to the hide & just outside the hide - one local who has been going 15 years, said he had never seen as many as this year.

Good time for crested tit at Loch Garton as they're feeding young etc. Cairngorm from restaurant you might need scope views. Try Glen Coe too...I've been told you can see them from the top after taking the cable car up. Hope you get the target birds. I was in Scotland earlier in the year and left Ptarmigan so I have an excuse to go back.B :)

Good time for crested tit at Loch Garton as they're feeding young etc. Cairngorm from restaurant you might need scope views. Try Glen Coe too...I've been told you can see them from the top after taking the cable car up. Hope you get the target birds. I was in Scotland earlier in the year and left Ptarmigan so I have an excuse to go back.B :)

Ptarmigan on the Applecross penninsula near the radio mast at top of Pass of the Cattle - reported on other threads. See Gordon Hamlett's book.

Sandra

three quarter hour walk up to the north carries, would certainally guarantee seeing ptarmigan also possible of seeing dotterel

I was wondering if someone could advise me on the chances of seeing ptarmigan from the restaurant area on cairngorm mountain, thinking of going in a week or 2 and using the railway to access the top and could do with nailing one of these, also where's the best chance of seeing crested tit nearby , Thanks

Thanks for all responses, and I will definitely keep them in mind, the problem I have I am limited in the amount of walking I can do. All responses appreciated
;)

Glenshee is the easiest one to go for! I saw them there a few years back, was fairly easy to see.

I think this thread is in the wrong forum though. :)

Last year at Glenshee I saw them from the chairlift on the way up and at the top by it and this was on 19th June. This is the chairlift next to the parade of shops. Also saw Mountain Hares and Red Grouse on the walk back down. I agree that it isn't a rare bird yet fortunately. Cairngorm is better if you walk up, but it isn't an easy walk.

Glenshee is the easiest one to go for! I saw them there a few years back, was fairly easy to see.

I think this thread is in the wrong forum though. :)

yes I agree , wrong forum really but thought I would give it as much exposure for replies as possible and they're rare for me as I still need them on my Life list!

cheers B :)

yes I agree , wrong forum really but thought I would give it as much exposure for replies as possible and they're rare for me as I still need them on my Life list!

cheers B :)

In an addition to my original requests are there any good sites for Capercailles during the day as I realise I've missed the early morning visits for the Loch Garten birds in May/June Thanks

Just walk over towards the summit you will find Ptarmigan on the slopes to your left. Remember though Cairngorm can be a dangerous place and the weather can change very quickly.

In an addition to my original requests are there any good sites for Capercailles during the day as I realise I've missed the early morning visits for the Loch Garten birds in May/June Thanks

Just keep your eyes peeled wherever you go Steve. We've seen capers unexpectedly from the car a few times at all times of day - just don't go wandering in the woods looking for them. Scan deep into the woods as you
drive past.

Good luck

Sandra

Capercaillie - just to the south of loch an eilein is a smaller loch, loch gamhna. It's here I regularly see these beauties. I saw early one morning capercaillie whilst out hiking. The going is wet boggy underfoot but worth the effort. The female was sat in a tree as the male danced and kept about making a strange popping rattling sound.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back