• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tra Su, An Giang, Vietnam (longish) (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
After two months in South Vietnam, I finally managed to get to Tra Su (pronounced Tsha Su). This is a 860 ha Melaleuca plantation close to the Cambodian border. Even though it is fairly small, 80 species of birds have been recorded here in a survey by BirdLife Vietnam. It hosts a large heronry, with thousands of Little, Cattle, and Great White Egrets, Purple, Grey, and Black-crowned Night Herons. The place is privately owned and exploited for the mangrove wood. However, this is done in a sustainable manner, with the core of the forest remaining untouched.

I spent a total of 6 hours on Saturday evening and Sunday morning. The weather was absolutely fabulous, with temperatures in the low 30’s, made bearable by a steady breeze. The rice planting season has just started, with the annual floods receding. Apart from the birds, it was a great time out; all the folks busy in the paddies, but still having time for a small chat and a quick look through the scope. :bounce:

On Saturday evening, we took a boat to the 30-foot high watchtower bang in the middle of the forest. It was such a pleasure to sit there with great views. We stayed until the sun set, all that was missing were a few cold Tiger beers. Birds came in from all sides to roost for the night. Underneath the tower, a pair of Pied Fantails was busy picking of gnats, whilst a large flock of Black Drongos was in the adjacent trees. However, the real spectacle was in the air above us, with wave after wave of herons, egrets and cormorants. Birds of the day were easily 4 Painted Storks that glided in right above us. Storks of all species have become exceedingly rare in Vietnam, due to the intense hunting pressure.

After such a great evening, I decided to take the next morning off and head out the 30 kilometers to Tra Su again. What a morning to be sitting on a motorbike; the weather was even better than the night before. Strengthened with a bowl of Pho, the Vietnamese national dish of noodle soup with beef, I reached the forest around 8 o’ clock. Heading down the canal that bisects the forest, I disturbed hundreds of Javan Pond-herons and Little Cormorants. The latter might be excellent swimmers, but they are pretty hopeless on try land, bouncing into every tree on the way to the water. All this commotion raised the interest of a pair of Stork-billed Kingfishers, whilst the single Common Kingfisher I saw couldn’t care less, staying motionless on its perch.

Tra Su is important for its population of Oriental Darters, and sure enough I saw at least four of these elegant birds. A couple of Black-shouldered Kites hunted over the swamp, causing much commotion amongst the Purple Swamphens, Moorhens and Bronze-winged Jacanas. The acoustic back-drop was provided by Greater Coucals. Whilst skulking and hard to see, the loud whoop-whooop-whoop could be heard all over. I almost made the mistake that most of us make at one time or another: after seeing literally thousands of Little Egrets flying over, I almost dismissed yet another flock as being of this species. But hold on! Something wrong here, since when do Egrets fly with their necks extended? I almost dropped my scope, could this be something interesting. They were Black-headed Ibises, a very rare species in Vietnam. And not just one or two, but 26 of them!!! My day was made: a rare species, and a lifer to boot. :clap:

Really pleased with myself, I headed back to the bike and a cold beer. Close to the end, I came across a small island with a few dozen Cormorants. I decided to check them out, and a good thing it was, too. Amongst all the Little Cormorants were a couple of Indian Cormorants, easily told by their larger size and the more extensive white on the throat and chest. And yet more Ibises, this time 4 Glossy Ibises.

All in all, it was really a fantastic day out, and Tra Su has been officially named my local patch. I shall return!

Below all birds seen on those two days. Make sure you let me know should you ever make it to Vietnam. A great country for birding, with friendly people, great food, and cold beer widely available. B :)

06/12/2003 Tra Su

Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea)
Great White Egret (Egretta alba)
Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis)
Javan Pond-heron (Ardeola speciosa)
Black-crowned Night-heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)
Yellow Bittern (Ixobrychus sinensis)
Cinnamon Bittern (Ixobrychus cinnamomeus)
Black Bittern (Dupetor flavicollis)
Painted Stork (Mycteria leucocephala)
Watercock (Gallicrex cinerea)
Common Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus)
Pheasant-tailed Jacana (Hydrophasianus chirurgus)
White-breasted Kingfisher (Halcyon smyrnensis)
Pied Fantail (Rhipidura javanica)
White-shouldered Starling (Sturnus sinensis)

07/12/2003 Tra Su

Little Grebe (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Little Cormorant (Phalacrocorax niger [pygmeus])
Indian Cormorant (Phalacrocorax fuscicollis)
Oriental Darter (Anhinga melanogaster)
Little Egret (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron (Ardea cinerea)
Purple Heron (Ardea purpurea)
Great White Egret (Egretta alba)
Javan Pond-heron (Ardeola speciosa)
Black-crowned Night-heron (Nycticorax nycticorax)
Yellow Bittern (Ixobrychus sinensis)
Black Bittern (Dupetor flavicollis)
Glossy Ibis (Plegadis falcinellus)
Black-headed Ibis (Threskiornis melanocephalus)
Spot-billed Duck (Anas poecilorhyncha [superciliosa])
Black-shouldered Kite (Elanus caeruleus)
White-breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis phoenicurus)
Indian Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio poliocephalus)
Common Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus)
Bronze-winged Jacana (Metopidius indicus)
Spotted Dove (Streptopelia chinensis)
Greater Coucal (Centropus sinensis)
Asian Palm-swift (Cypsiurus balasiensis [parvus])
Common Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)
Stork-billed Kingfisher (Pelargopsis capensis)
Little Green Bee-eater (Merops orientalis)
Blue-tailed Bee-eater (Merops philippinus [superciliosus])
Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
Oriental Magpie-robin (Copsychus saularis)
Plain Prinia (Prinia inornata [subflava])
Striated Grassbird (Megalurus palustris)
Pied Fantail (Rhipidura javanica)
Olive-backed Sunbird (Nectarinia jugularis)
Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus)
Black Drongo (Dicrurus macrocercus)
Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)

Yes, that really is a great report. What a list of birds too. Those Black-headed Ibis must have set your heart racing?
I suspect that several people on this forum will start to consider Vietnam as a future destination!

Hi Dave, Charles, and Steve,

Thank you for your encouraging comments.

The Black-headed Ibises setting my heart racing doesn't come close! Took me three very cold Tigers to get the pulse back to normal:)

No endemics in the Delta, the 10 Vietnamese endemics are all further North.

I do hope that more birders will come and visit. Apart from the fact that Vietnam is absolutely fantatsic, with friendly people and an improving infrastructure, it would also convince the governement to protect ists natural resourses.

Hope to see you in 'Nam.

Hanno

Thankyou Hanno, you brought that place alive for me with your vivid word pictures.

Some of the species you describe I know, many of the others are relatives of Australian ones, so where an Australian trip report can be a bit mundane, and a northern hemisphere one rather meaningless (as I don't know any of the birds they mention), your description of Tra Su is familiar enough to visualise, and exotic enough to spark a hunger to come and see for myself. If I ever make it up your way (and damn it now I'm tempted) I'll be sure to let you know.

It sounds fantastic.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back