• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Elmley Yesterday - How Brave Was That?? (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Given the weather forecast for yesterday and the location (RSPB Elmley is VERY exposed and involves a walk of a mile or so to get to the nearest hide) I thought we were quite brave to go out at all. In truth, my friend and I had arranged to go out on a guided walk and so were kind of committed!!

Anyway.... we fetched up in the car park at 09:00 and my friend (even more of a learner than me) got 2 life ticks straight away... Red-Legged Partridge and Little Owl.

The wind was blowing well and very threatening clouds all around, so we lost no time in heading off to the Swale hide. Made it before the rain - phew.

Excellent views of Curlew, Dunlin, Grey Plover, lots of Avocet, Shelduck and a first for both of us - Red-Breasted Merganser.

We saw only 2 Godwits all day.... one Blackwit and one Barwit - how often would that happen!!

Started to scan North over by the Counterwall and pretty soon started to pick up Marsh Harriers regularly - various distances, but some quite good views.

Our guide managed to pick up a Merlin, which was huddled up against a vertical gatepost (wind howling by now!) at extreme distance. Because it was so far away and just had its back to us, we decided not to tick it (would have been a lifer for both of us). Watched it off and on for about 30 mins but it refused to turn around - so we moved on disappointed.

Went across to the Counterwall hide and saw Pintails (another tick) and excellent views of Wigeon, Shoveller and Teal, plus Greylag Geese and Barnacle Geese.

Came back to the new hide and spent the rest of the afternoon there.... fantastic views of Oystercatchers and Ringed Plover and the highlight of the day were 5 * Bewick Swans coming in to land and great views of 2 * Hen Harriers (one Ring-Tail) at quite close range.

Getting towards the end of the day now and we watched many Marsh Harriers gradually making their way eastwards to their overnight roosts.

The long walk back through the gloom and rain was a small price to pay for a wonderful day. Our guide was so helpful and knowledgable and we had a fantastic experience.

Rgds.... Ruby :bounce:

My sympathies, I chose yesterday to go to Amwell. With the wind and rain on an exposed area of water I must have neem barmy. Unlike you I ddn't have the joy of seeing anything new.

I went to Martin Mere recently , it was really cold there too . A few good birds that day , the best by far a Red-breasted Goose !! There was a Saker/ Peregrine hybrid which caused abit of a flap innitially , until someone noticed it's jessies !
In contrast , I went on a bird-ringing day in August ... which turned out to be the hottest day of the year ... I think it was 35 deg Cel. trust me , it was hellish !!! Nothing about either ... all the nets caught was 1 Reed Warbler , 1 Garden Warbler and 1 juv Robin .
We saw Blackwit . Dunlin and Green Sand ( 1 of each ) in the lagoon plus a Peregrine flew by but that was it . I dont know which I'd prefer , hot or cold ? .. wearing shorts though and having to trudge through feilds of nettles is no fun at all .... so , cold get's my vote I think .

Thanks for writing that, I have yet to see a Little Owl myself.

I was down in Hayle and three of us got drenched, luckily I had waterproofs. The other two had jeans that went dark blue! I am going to write it up soon.

I was at Elmley yesterday (Sunday) with a coach load of Essex birders. The weather was much kinder - it was sunny most of the day but there was an extremely cold wind. Between us we saw 70 species. The highlight for me (a lifer) was a rough-legged buzzard seen from the furthest hide. We also had good views of hen and marsh harriers with the Sun brilliantly catching their colours. A kestrel caught and decided to eat it's prey just a few yards from a group of us on the bank of the sea wall - totally oblivious of our presence. On the way out a little owl was sitting on top of a barn.

Hi Dave,

That sounds like a great day....

By the 'farthest hide' do you mean the Spitend Hide? If so, that's a fair old trek carrying all your gear etc, but well worth it in my opinion.

I wonder if you saw the 'tame' Kestrel on the sea-wall bank just approaching the T-junction by the new hide. I have been down there only twice and saw a Kestrel just sitting there on both occasions. Each time it let me approach to within 15' or so. The RSPB warder there told me that it had been living at Elmley for several years, and had become pretty relaxed about the visitors!

I've heard about the Rough Legged Buzzard and am after getting down there to look for myself - only snag is I'm not sure if I'd be able to 100% id it!

Glad you and your friends had a good time :t:

Sounds like a good day Ruby

Bewicks Swans coming in are one of the best things you'll ever see birding!

it's sure getting cold though - nearly froze to death at the Horsey raptor roost and it ain't even Xmas yet!

Hi Tim,

Yeah - know what you mean. This past Sunday was a nice bright day, but I nearly froze to death stood at the back of the car getting all my gear on!! I was OK once properly dressed!! ;)

Where is Horsey...is that up your neck of the woods??

Ruby said:
Hi Dave,

That sounds like a great day....

By the 'farthest hide' do you mean the Spitend Hide? If so, that's a fair old trek carrying all your gear etc, but well worth it in my opinion.

I wonder if you saw the 'tame' Kestrel on the sea-wall bank just approaching the T-junction by the new hide. I have been down there only twice and saw a Kestrel just sitting there on both occasions. Each time it let me approach to within 15' or so. The RSPB warder there told me that it had been living at Elmley for several years, and had become pretty relaxed about the visitors!

I've heard about the Rough Legged Buzzard and am after getting down there to look for myself - only snag is I'm not sure if I'd be able to 100% id it!

Glad you and your friends had a good time :t:

Yes I did mean the Spitend hide, I couldn't remember its name when writing my post. It IS a very long walk when carrying all the gear - especially when there is a strong wind.

I guess it was the "tame" kestrel. It was close to that hide.

The RLB was some distance away but it's white tail with black edge was clearly visible and also the pale underwings. Good luck.

Dave

Hi Ruby

Horsey is in East Norfolk - the whole area is a great place for birds. Apart from the regular rarities that turn up in spring and autumn it's good for winter geese and raptors such as Hen Harriers, Marsh Harriers and Merlins along with the occasional Rough-legged Buzzard and very occasional White-tailed Eagle, plus the famous Cranes. And Bean Geese are very close to at Cantly.

But it can be a bit fresh in winter

You'll love it!

Morning Tim,

Well - it was sounding great until your 2nd paragraph....

Got it.... just north of G. Yarmouth...

I'll add it to the (long and growing) list of places that I really must visit when I get time....

Ruby said:
I'll add it to the (long and growing) list of places that I really must visit when I get time....
We had a week in Norfolk at the end of November and had a great time. From the raptor viewpoint at Hickling Broad at dusk we had the following: 2 barn owls (down to 50 ft), 20+ marsh harriers (including 15/16 in the air together at one point), 2 ring-tail hen harriers and a number of common cranes.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back