• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I hadn't planned to go birding today but.... (1 Viewer)

Binocularface

You've all got one...............!
Hi

I had a busy day ahead of me, but couldn't resist a quick trip out to investigate the diver that had been reported at Silloth harbour!
I arrived at the inner harbour, and there was the diver showing exceptionally well just off the harbour wall. It was a cracking juvenile Great Northern Diver!

Ok Great Northern Divers are not an extreme rarity but it is not every day that you get such close and long views of what is a very impressive bird.

I did manage to take some pictures (attached) of the bird, though the light was very poor!

Regards
Tristan

Attachments

• Great-Northern-Diver4.jpg
    Great-Northern-Diver4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Great-Northern-Diver8.jpg
    Great-Northern-Diver8.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 140
You don't need to criticise such a quality photograph - most impressive! We had one at a local lake a few weeks back - very obliging.

Hi Tristan,
Apologies not necessary for quality of pics. Just to have seen this magnificent bird is quality enough - 'sides - I'd have been very happy with the pics!

A great pic,Tristan,we had one here at Haverigg a couple of weeks ago,also a Red Throated,both on the same afternoon.
Christine.

Hi

Thanks for all the kind comments regarding my pictures. I hope the bird stays a while, it would be nice to get some brighter images in better weather!

Regards
Tristan

Congratulations Tristan. We occasionally have then popping into Hartlepool harbour too and a couple of Red Throated, but I've never managed a decent photo.

IanF said:
Congratulations Tristan. We occasionally have then popping into Hartlepool harbour too and a couple of Red Throated, but I've never managed a decent photo.
Thanks IanF.
I remember getting excellent views of Black-throated Diver in Hartlepool Harbour quite a few years ago (there was a Bearded Seal present the same day, can't remember the date though!).

The Great Northern Diver was present again today at Silloth inner harbour. I sneaked off for an hour or so this morning and took some more pictures in marginally better light!

Hopefully the bird will stay for the winter!

Regards
Tristan

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back