• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID on 'Duck' Whitley Bay Aug 2011 (1 Viewer)

Lapwing2011

Hi

Am new to this forum so 'hello'!

Sorry to say am asking for help already

Was oop north at the weekend so popped over to Whitley Bay - the tide was in so no waders, but spots included a cormorant sunning itself on a rock out at sea, various gulls, pied wagtails, swallows, starlings, plus a juvenile guillemot, what i think was a juvenile shorelark, and this chap - have looked through a book and also the RSPB identifier but no luck

Am calling it a duck as it was that kind of size and obviously looks like one, but anyone know exactly what it is?

i've other pics if anyone needs it, but this is as good as any of them

Attachments

• DSCN0570crop.jpg
    DSCN0570crop.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
welcome to birdforum - don't worry about starting with questions - lots of us here are all too pleased to help. Your bird is an eider duck, they come in a confusing variety of plumages but that sloped forehead gives them a characteristic profile.

Wow, that was quick!

thanks, i had eider as a possibility but couldn't find a picture with that plumage anywhere

Thanks for the help guys

Hi

Am new to this forum so 'hello'!

Sorry to say am asking for help already

Was oop north at the weekend so popped over to Whitley Bay - the tide was in so no waders, but spots included a cormorant sunning itself on a rock out at sea, various gulls, pied wagtails, swallows, starlings, plus a juvenile guillemot, what i think was a juvenile shorelark, and this chap - have looked through a book and also the RSPB identifier but no luck

Am calling it a duck as it was that kind of size and obviously looks like one, but anyone know exactly what it is?

i've other pics if anyone needs it, but this is as good as any of them

Also just to clear up one of your other IDs, it won't have been a juvenile Shorelark you'll have seen. They are pretty scarce birds in the north-east and the first migrants don't usually appear until late autumn, never in early August. It's much more likely to have been a Skylark.

Mark

Hi Mark

well, here's the one pic i have of it but as you can see it's not very good - any further thoughts much appreciated

L

Attachments

• TBI Whitley Bay Aug 2011 crop.jpg
    TBI Whitley Bay Aug 2011 crop.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back