• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is the most common bird in the world? (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

This question is on mentioned on another Forum. . . what's the most common 'WILD' bird in the world?

IMHO the Feral Pigeon family followed by the Corvid family comes to mind.

What do others think? :gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
IMHO the Feral Pigeon family
According to BirdLife, the population of Rock Dove Columba livia (including Feral Pigeon) is estimated as c.260,000,000 individuals (2004).

But the House Sparrow Passer domesticus population is estimated as > c.540,000,000 individuals (also 2004).

What about the European Starling? Wouldn't it be high on this list? Or maybe the Red-billed Quelea?
  • Common Starling Sturnus vulgaris: > c.310,000,000 individuals.

• Red-billed Quelea Quelea quelea: "not quantified, but described as possibly the most abundant bird in the world (Fry and Keith 2004)".
PS. Red-billed Quelea: peak post-breeding population estimated at c.1,500,000,000 individuals (HBW).​

Last edited:
To me "commonest"--without qualification--implies "most abundant", not "most widespread" but maybe I'm just being pedantic again (pedantry is bred in my bones, I'm afraid ).

I don't think you're being pedantic, you've just assumed that anyone will interpret 'commonest' without qualification in the same way that you meant it, which isn't always the case.

If you'd asked what was the most abundant bird in the world, the answer is (I think) the red-billed quelea. Billions of them, but are they common? They only live in one (vast) place, and haven't spread to other areas or continents in the way a Cattle Egret has done, for example.

Last edited:
According to BirdLife, the population of Rock Dove Columba livia (including Feral Pigeon) is estimated as c.260,000,000 individuals (2004).

But the House Sparrow Passer domesticus population is estimated as > c.540,000,000 individuals (also 2004).

Holy smokes! Which to me makes it all the more concerning that UK Sparrows are suffering given how prolific they are worldwide - if a successful species like this is in steep decline then it seems that something is seriously wrong.

I reckon that makes the colony of Sparrows in my garden approximately 0.0000055% of the world population. :-O

Wilson's Storm-petrel is sometimes mentioned as a candidate for "most abundant", though I imagine hard figures on its numbers might be hard to come by.

I can believe House Sparrow (stateside at least) is the most abundant. On the Christmas bird counts, within Laramie, House Sparrow numbers in my count circle are always greater than Pigeon counts. If anything, given the large flocks I encounter, I am probably underestimating, not overestimating, the population.

I can believe House Sparrow (stateside at least) is the most abundant. On the Christmas bird counts, within Laramie, House Sparrow numbers in my count circle are always greater than Pigeon counts. If anything, given the large flocks I encounter, I am probably underestimating, not overestimating, the population.

"Within Laramie" - those counts will be biased if they're near human habitation. I seldom encounter house sparrows during my bird surveys (approximately never), since I spend time in the wilderness far from buildings. They aren't even the most numerous bird in my yard. My largest counts on the mainland are almost always either robins or whatever waterfowl are migrating through at a given moment, but that's also a bit biased by places I go. House sparrows are usually far down the list. That quelea bird is probably the answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back