• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Birth of the Original Swarovski EL (1 Viewer)

Lee, but of course you know that is the most important thing Emerson had in mind, but he did not mention it, since it was self evident for every body who knew him.
Gijs

Lee, but of course you know that is the most important thing Emerson had in mind, but he did not mention it, since it was self evident for every body who knew him.
Gijs

Gijs

He also said: 'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail' and 'what lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside you'.

Still nothing about bins though.

Are you sure he was a binoholic?

Lee

I wonder if he enjoyed beans and cornbread ?:storm:

Gijs

He also said: 'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail' and 'what lies behind you and what lies in front of you, pales in comparison to what lies inside you'.

Still nothing about bins though.

Are you sure he was a binoholic?

Lee

If I was offered $100 more than I paid for my SV's in cash tonight, I wouldn't take it. That's how much I like them. I'm not bragging Jerry, just telling the truth.:t:

That's hardly a huge endorsement bh. Since you would want to replace your favourite bins tomorrow with the same or similar. So you really are only turning down $100 bucks or less.

And thats enough about the beans and cornbread already.:eek!:

Flatulence is only funny for a short time, then everbodys eyes start to water.

Or are you, in a roundabout way, trying to say that all of the praise lavished on the EL, which was not perfect, was a load of hot air? :-O

Lee

That's it, my exact thoughts. Living with these POS binoculars has been a living hell on earth, and I'm glad you started this thread so we all could learn at what point the abominable optical blasphemy of the EL series was foisted upon the general public. :-O When confronted with deep philosophical statements I always counter with Indiana hillbilly humor, sometimes relating to flatulence. It's a defense mechanism Ive developed , cause I ain't real quick with numbers and words.3:)

Or are you, in a roundabout way, trying to say that all of the praise lavished on the EL, which was not perfect, was a load of hot air? :-O
Lee

If I was offered $100 more than I paid for my SV's in cash tonight, I wouldn't take it. That's how much I like them. I'm not bragging Jerry, just telling the truth.:t:

That wouldn't replace mine, since I bought them during the Giant 65th Anniversary Sale.

When confronted with deep philosophical statements I always counter with flatulence.

Hmmm. That's interesting bh, because I too have noticed a definite connection between deep philosophical statements and flatulence, and although the connection seems stronger in the world of politics than binoculars, there is the occasionaly whiff there too. :-O

Anyways, I'll take this fragrant opportunity to wish you and everybody on BF a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, New Year.

All the best, Lee

Hmmm. That's interesting bh, because I too have noticed a definite connection between deep philosophical statements and flatulence, and although the connection seems stronger in the world of politics than binoculars, there is the occasionaly whiff there too. :-O

Anyways, I'll take this fragrant opportunity to wish you and everybody on BF a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, New Year.

All the best, Lee

Thank you, Y'all have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year over on your side of the big pond also.

Lee,
Thanks for putting this together so nicely and sharing it. It is inspired and inspiring.

Yep, the original EL was different, must have seemed a gamble to market, and was great. Is great. Anybody still using an original EL gets no sympathy from me.

Only reason we don't have one is it was ripped off. I will definitely try to convince my wife to swap her SV for my FL tomorrow on our walk along the Santa Fe River.
Ron

Lee,
Thanks for putting this together so nicely and sharing it. It is inspired and inspiring.

Yep, the original EL was different, must have seemed a gamble to market, and was great. Is great. Anybody still using an original EL gets no sympathy from me.

Only reason we don't have one is it was ripped off. I will definitely try to convince my wife to swap her SV for my FL tomorrow on our walk along the Santa Fe River.
Ron

Thanks a lot Ron. Do a deal with your lady. You stick with your FL on the outward walk and swap out to the SV for the return half. :t:

And a merry Christmas too o:)

Lee

Living where you do, HN, where there is no night for half the year and no day for the rest of the year, this can do strange things to your sense of good taste. ;)

Lee

Well, be that as it may, we heavy-drinking Norsemen still recognise the colour of puke-green when we see it! ;)

Extract from a recent interview with Dr Gerold Dobler

On the Zeiss thread I have posted an interview conducted with Gerold Dobler and part of that interview concerned the development of the original Swarovski EL and so I have posted this part of the interview below:

Troubador: In December last year I posted a history of the original Swarovski EL and as a result of my research I was clear that while it was the result of a team effort, that team was led by you, and worked to develop a concept originated by you. However I have heard rumours in Europe that you did not actually contribute in an important way to the development of the original Swarovski EL. Can you clear up this confusion over your role?

Dr Dobler: I have also heard these rumours. They started at about the time that the SF was announced and they have continued since then and it is only after all these months that I feel I cannot remain silent any longer. Fortunately I have a very simple way to demonstrate that these rumours are absolutely untrue because my former employer Mrs Carina Schiestl-Swarovski has described my role at Swarovski in an Austrian court of law. I should explain that when I left Swarovski, the company sought to obtain compensation for my leaving in the Austrian courts. This court case is finished and in the past and I only mention it now to explain how my job description came to be discussed in legal documents.

I will now quote from court protocols which have been issued by the court to the parties involved and are a true and accurate account of what was said in court.

In the course of the trial Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski clearly affirmed that Dr Dobler’s function target at that time was to “determine which products should be offered, to determine their positioning and determine the respective marketing strategy with the aim of launching the technically and qualitatively best products on the market”.

Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski claimed that one of the main tasks of Dr Dobler was to “create the product specification sheets for product development and initiate a market oriented product development”. She further claimed that the function of Dr Dobler was also “to inform the management about the results of his product line”. (Note from Troubador: I checked the translation of the word ‘seiner’ to verify that the phrase “his product line”, which is very important in this context, is correct, and indeed ‘seiner’ does directly translate as “his”).

On 9th June 2009 Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski personally: “Dr Dobler is a great carrier of know-how, has specific technical knowledge, he is a visionary and knows what the customer of tomorrow desires”. Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski further explained: “Dr Dobler was also the chairman of our market board. All ideas for product improvements and ideas for new products have been evaluated by the market board and moved into development. This is the place where our product development plan was actually determined”.

On the 4th March 2010 Swarovski Optik chairwoman Mrs Schiestl-Swarovski personally said, under the eyes of the court: “ the market and competition monitoring conducted by Dr Dobler was integrated into specific product definitions, no matter what segment it was. Dr Dobler co-created our product development plan. The fathers of the EL binocular have been Dr Seil as optical designer, Daniel Murg as mechanical designer and Dr Dobler for product management and marketing. This was the most successful year in the company history when Swarovski Optik introduced the EL”.

These quotations speak for themselves and there is more information available if needed.

Troubador: Dr Dobler, thank you for being so open and frank with my questions and I look forward to other opportunities to talk to you in the future.

Lee

Bill,

As Ralph Waldo Emerson put it:

"If a man has good corn or wood, or boards, or pigs, to sell, or can make better chairs or knives, crucibles or church organs, than anybody else, you will find a broad hard-beaten road to his house, though it be in the woods."

Ed

Those were the days, my friend...But alas, old Ralphy Boy didn't live in an America of mass production, global economics, and declining wages due to transitioning from higher paying manufacturing jobs to lower paying service sector jobs. Except for the deep pocketed or those willing to pay interest on extended credit, the competition is no longer about making a better widget but a more affordable one.

<B>

Last edited:
Those were the days, my friend...But alas, old Ralphy Boy didn't live in an America of mass production, global economics, and declining wages due to transitioning from higher paying manufacturing jobs to lower paying service sector jobs. Except for the deep pocketed or those willing to pay interest on extended credit, the competition is no longer about making a better widget but a more affordable one.

<B>

See this month's issue of Harper's magazine for a good article on the human costs of workplace monitoring in today's "lower paying private sector jobs" written by Esther Kaplan.

Bob

See this month's issue of Harper's magazine for a good article on the human costs of workplace monitoring in today's "lower paying private sector jobs" written by Esther Kaplan.

Bob

I checked for it online, but it's only available to subscribers. It costs $39.99 to subscribe, and I can't afford it, because I'm working in one of those "lower paying private sector jobs." However, since I telecommute, the only one watching me is Big Brother (NSA).

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back