• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kate Humble Leaving Springwatch (1 Viewer)

I'm sorry about that, though really not surprised, I thought her absence from Autumn Watch spelt the beginning of the end.

I think I'll be recording the shows in future so that I can zip through the presenter stuff - Michaela really doesn't do it for me, reminds me too much of someone talking to a Blue Peter audience.

D

Kate Humble is a professional TV presenter but a "jack of all trades" I prefer presenters with more substance. In fairness she imparted some discipline into SpringWatch which was lacking after she left, but this looks to have been much improved. I like the current group of presenters and Chris Packham knows what he is talking about.

Prefer wildlife presenters who know something about wildlife. Not a significant loss to the programme. A good time to introduce a new talent rather than a more mature hlack. Chris p does a great job and most of all he knows his stuff.

Last edited:
I think Michaela was good,when you have Kate,Chris,and the other guy,they are like gigling school kids,Kate was better with Bill odie,bring B ill Odie back.

I actually thought that Michaela Strachan was fine once she got over the first episode. I think she had misjudged the tone of the programme at first, but soon mellowed out.

One person who has not been mentioned but who does have relevant knowledge (she's got a degree in zoology) is Miranda Krestovnikoff - she's a regular presenter on Coast and The One Show and would fit in well on Springwatch I think, perhaps as a knowledgeable foil for Chris Packham.

One person who has not been mentioned but who does have relevant knowledge (she's got a degree in zoology) is Miranda Krestovnikoff - she's a regular presenter on Coast and The One Show and would fit in well on Springwatch I think, perhaps as a knowledgeable foil for Chris Packham.

Yes, I think she'd do a far better job than Michaela.

D

Get Nick Baker and wake up the competitive streak in Chris. The guest appearance he made was excellent, as a double act I reckon they would be awesome.

Totty is not essential (heresy!)

John

I'm not entirely sure that 'Springwatch et al' needs another 'expert'. I've always thought that Kate Humble made a splendid job of playing Dr Watson to Chris Packham's Sherlock Holmes. It's worth remember that the vast majority of views of this programme are not dedicated birdwatchers or students of wildlife in general. Presenters like Kate Humble thus play a vital role as intermediary between 'expert' and audience. This in turn, I suspect, has made people underestimate her grasp and understanding of the subject matter,

Get Nick Baker and wake up the competitive streak in Chris. The guest appearance he made was excellent, as a double act I reckon they would be awesome.

Totty is not essential (heresy!)

John

Nick really did a good job on the show and I thought the episode he was in was the best one I'd ever seen, the banter and wildlife talk was superb. Top bloke and definitely worked well with Chris P. I'd be VERY happy to see Nick making more appearances in the shows. :t:

Baker is excellent, a very under-used presenter. He is clear, authoritative, informed, and is not an overbearing screen-hogger. I like Packham a lot on Springwatch, but Baker could be better. Although a lack of antics and japery might be seen as a bit dull. Here's an idea, replace Martin with Nick Baker? Martin's ok, but he doesn't seem to know very much.

I will miss Humble, as she was ideal as the 'everyman/woman' asking the questions on behalf of the public. Strachan, sadly, is very poor and seems out of place to me. Alice Roberts or Charlotte Uhlenbroek could be good, but I expect they are overqualified and would not be keen.

I do wonder if Humble leaving will kill the dynamic, and spell the end for Spring/Autumnwatch? Viewng figures seem quite high still, but I for one find it harder each year to get enthused about the same badgers, red deer, foxes, nestbox birds etc. They do seem to have been almost everywhere now, and look at almost everything.

Glad to see the back of her, she came across as if she knew all about Birds even though her knowledge is not in the category of Chris or Bill. She annoyed me how she would try top get one over on them about Birds but then was more or less told she was wrong.

I would like Bill to come back with Chris they seem a good pairing and bounce off each other well.

Next can they get rid of that Martin bloke who tries to make such a drama out of everything her reports on.

Glad to see the back of her, she came across as if she knew all about Birds even though her knowledge is not in the category of Chris or Bill. She annoyed me how she would try top get one over on them about Birds but then was more or less told she was wrong.

I would like Bill to come back with Chris they seem a good pairing and bounce off each other well.

Next can they get rid of that Martin bloke who tries to make such a drama out of everything her reports on.

But Bill's useless too. He doesn't actually have that much knowledge about ornithology or science, he just guesses or tries to remember what he read in BB 10 years ago. At least Chris has a zoology degree, and Nick a degree in Biological sciences. Bill Oddie has a degree in English Literature! That does seem to matter when they see a bit of behaviour and have to try and put it into context to try and work out what it means on live TV - Chris and Nick have the background knowledge to do so.

In that sense, Bill is no better qualified for the job than Kate. His presenting style is also very abrasive, and not at all 'warm'.

Last edited:

Blimey! What do we want Spring/Autumnwatch to be? A show about the presenters themselves or a show about wildlife.
I don't always agree with some of the presenters views and attitudes, but I know which category of the show I would rather watch.

Si.

I'll miss her, personally, as I enjoyed the dynamic between the three main presenters. However, I thought Michaela and Chris played off each other well, possibly because of their Really Wild Show history. I think that rather than having another bloke, and thus drawing undeserving comparisons with Top Gear, the new presenter will need to be female, will need to be someone who can act as the link between the general viewer and the geeks (sorry, Chris, but you are...) be knowledgable enough to remain plausible, and still have enough screen presence to hold their own among established hosts.

My money is on Ellie Harrison.

I think people sometimes forget what Springwatch/Autumnwatch's mission is as a TV programme and who their target audience actually are.

It's supposed to be light-hearted, informative and on the whole appeal to the masses. I adore Chris Packham but if there were three "Chris Packham"'s presenting it, it would not be Springwatch/Autumnwatch.

I'm not entirely sure that 'Springwatch et al' needs another 'expert'. I've always thought that Kate Humble made a splendid job of playing Dr Watson to Chris Packham's Sherlock Holmes. It's worth remember that the vast majority of views of this programme are not dedicated birdwatchers or students of wildlife in general. Presenters like Kate Humble thus play a vital role as intermediary between 'expert' and audience. This in turn, I suspect, has made people underestimate her grasp and understanding of the subject matter,

This I completely agree with. Kate has many of her own credentials albeit those gained through experience more than education. Also, let's not kid ourselves into thinking that the majority of the audience understand Chris Packham 100% of the time. I think a personality like this can bring a much needed balance.

I have to say I wasn't keen on Michaela to begin with but by the end of the last series I have to say I really did warm to her and I do like the chemistry between her and Chris. As for Martin, everytime I see him I like him more and more! I would also agree than Nick Baker fitted into the programme perfectly and is definitely something I think the producers need to think of in the future in SW/AW.

Ultimately if this was a highbrow, scientific and intellectual programme, created for advanced wildlife enthusiasts then Kate and Michaela wouldn't get a look in. But, Spingwatch/Autumnwatch isn't that, it never has been and never will be!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back