• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member with a question (1 Viewer)

Hi Loopylefty and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Swarovski Binocular forum, someone there will be able to answer your questions. I also subscribed you to the thread so you don't lose track of it.

I can give you a few of the specifications that might affect your decision.

Eye relief: 21mm
Real FOV: 7º, Apparent FOV: 56º
Shortest focusing distance: 6m, 20 ft
Weight: 1150g, 40.6 oz

I think most birders would consider the weight to be too much and the shortest focusing distance to be too long.

Since you will be buying from the used market you should know that these were upgraded over the years. There were continual improvements to the lens coatings and a change to a higher brightness prism mirror coating about 2002. If these are what you want your best bet would a SLC Neu model made during the last years of production after 2002. You can determine the year of production by adding 30 to the first two digits of the serial #, for instance 72 would be 2002.

When new members come on BF asking about large format bins, they often plan to use them for hunting rather than birding, and I notice that Loopy didn't specify why he wanted a 50mm bin. If this is the case, the close focus and weight issues wouldn't matter. Even for birding, there are some birders such as Henry and Ron who use large format bins.

Here's a rave review by birder Wayne Mones (Harrison Ford doppelganger) of the Swaro 8x56 SLC, which is still offered, though in its new "HD" format:

Size Matters: A Case for Really Big Binoculars

Here's Henry's review of the Zeiss 8x56 FL:
World's Best 8X42: The Zeiss 8X56FL

If I had a neck like Hulk Hogan, biceps like Conan-era Arnold, and deep pockets like Warren Buffet, I think I might go for a large format bin for the reasons Henry gave in his review of his Zeiss 8x56 FL. His remark about the image in the 8x32 SE looking "mushy" in comparison with his FL really struck me since the SE's image is sharp as a surgeon's knife.

Certainly, big format bins are not for everybody, not even for all hunters, but I think both Henry and Wayne make a case that might persuade some birders that "bigger is better."

Brock

Last edited:
Hi Brock

Remember me saying the SE was less sharp than my BP. How could you forget.:king: I wasn't that persistent was I ? :-O:-O:-O

His remark about the image in the 8x32 SE looking "mushy" in comparison with his FL really struck me since the SE's image is sharp as a surgeon's knife.
Brock

Here's a refurb 8x56 SLC's for sale at Focus Camera for $1,395 (same one for sale for $100 more on Amazon):

Swarovski Optics SLC Binocular (8x56 B)

That's a $1,000 less than what the new 8x56 SLC-HDs sell for, which as PP pointed out, are not sold in the U.S., probably because unlike their Euro counterparts, US hunters are "girly men" who can't lift 44 oz. ;)

Brock

The old 8x56 SLC would be even less attractive than the 8x50 for most people, certainly for birders. The FOV is only 345 ft, the shortest focusing distance is 30' and the weight is 45.5 oz. It was not on my list when I bought the 8x56 FL.

BTW, welcome back Brock!

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back