• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Affordable 8x25 Compacts (1 Viewer)

danben

Hello All,

I'm in the process of researching my next purchase, 8x25 compacts. I plan to use them for occasional backyard birding, sporting events and concerts; I guess general use would summarize my needs. So far, I have been able to find lots of good info here, and it seems most like the Nikon Sporters. However, I have found 2 other contenders and would like some input.

One is the Yukon Rambler 8x25, and the other is the Brunton Echo 8x25. According to one website's scoreboard, the Yukon's fare better, followed by the Brunton's and then the Nikon's (not sure what the score really means, but I trust their experts); the board takes into account focus, weight, coating, etc. For me, I could get any of these for around the same price, so that's not really an issue. Any suggestions?

At this point, it seems the Rambler offers the most bang for the buck (bak-4, waterproof, coatings, rating). In fact, it usually costs about $20-$25 more than the other 2. Is this deal too good to pass up?

Thanks.

First, single hinge or double hinge? You mention one of each.

I tried the Brunton Echo 8x25 double hinge recently I was surprised by how bad they were (really i was all prepared for $40 small roof prisms bins with no phase-compensating coating to not look that great) but I was not prepared for the the view under mercury lights at REI.

A field full of discrete stray colored light arcs. Looked like a kalediascope! Bizzare. I presume this is stray light (as I wasn't looking at the lights) from these mercury light line sources (red, green and blue arcs) being dispersed through the roof prism. Obviously in the real world you wouldn't see these spectacular display just a bunch of stray light. Not very sharp. Not very bright. From a blister pack (which is always a bad sign!).

I really though that these might be a useful pocketable set. ;)

Same day I tried Nikon 8x25 ATB a double-hinge bin. Not bad again for a non-phase corrected small bin. Good FOV. ER not very good but not as terrible as i though it would be (I wear glasses). It's about the same price your Yukon and more compact. Good as a pocket bin I think.

Another one to look at (somewhat discounted) is the Stokes Meadowlark 8x25 Binocular single hinge for $60 shipped. Not phase-coated. Not tried it. Love to hear a report. Same as a Vortex Spitfire AFAIK (which Tero tried a 10x and hated ... I can't imagine any 10x being any good at this size).

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4602

The Swift Reliant 9x27 which at $80 is the cheapest phase coated compact out there (not tried it but I'd love to hear a report on this one). Note they lie about the weight of the bin in the blurb (9oz). The spec says 15.4 oz which seems more realistic.

http://www.binoculars.com/binoculars/bird-watching-binoculars/swiftreliantcompact9x27binoculars.cfm

Tero's Bushnell Excursion 8x28 is phase coated too. I'd recommend you take a look at these two (and maybe readjust your view of affordable to be around $100 ;) )

BTW, search this forum for other threads. The 8x25 compact bin trilemma (cheap, good, small) has been discussed many, many times with rather discouraging results (the requirements are mutually exclusive).

Tero: how does the Bushnell Excursion 8x28 deal with stray light?

Last edited:
Yukon. Made in Russia (or one of the former USSR states) and it doesn't seem to get much credit here (though I'd like to get a decent 7x30 CF porro from these makers). I get the impression that the Russians can be a bit variable in their quality.

Sportstar 4 has got some favorable comments here. Eagle Optics have refurbs for $40. They aren't waterproof and have been known to fog. Not looked through them myself but I they are compact and light with an OK view according to some here.

Another one to add to your list, though they aren't that compact but have a excellent if narrow view, are the Bushnell Legend 8x26 refurbs for $50 from Eagle Optics. I've tried these but they weren't compact enough, light enough (14oz, not bad) or had a big enough FOV to keep me happy (compared to other bins I have).

I've messed around with quite a few compacts. None that have really hit the spot (for various reasons). The Vortex Hurricanes were interesting but their view was a little odd and they did a terrible job with stray light (that I just found very annoying).

The Bushnell Excursion 8x28 does get good write ups here and for $90 might be a best bet.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back