• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Kuper's Rufous Fantail (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Additional info on ...

kuperi as in:
• the subspecies Rhipidura rufifrons kuperi MAYR 1931 (here, pp.18-19):
I name this interesting new bird in honor of our host, Mr. Henri Kuper, who gave us every assistance and helped to make our exploration of Santa Anna Island successful.
= the German (British-naturalised) planter Heinrich Kuper (19121958), a k a "Henri" and "Henry", trader on the Island Santa Ana (Santa Anna), Solomon Islands, etc., etc. ...

More on him in Solomon Islands Historical Encyclopaedia 1893-1978, here.

Enjoy!

Björn

Wrong conclusion!

Looks like the Solomon Islands Historical Encyclopaedia is erroneous!

Compare to the Wiki-entry here. Seems well researched ...

Different years all together, but the same wife!? Looks like he settled on the Island, Owaraha (Santa Ana), in 1912, not born that year ...

I will back down on this one, and simply refer to what is stated in the OD. Nothing else.

Sorry for the confusion.
:scribe:

Maybe more here. Death 1950 seems to be possible.
But no more details (not from what I can tell anyway, with my lack French), than:
Il mourut brutalement en 1950, laissant derrière lui une île profondément différente de celle qu’il avait trouvée à son arrivée.
Google Translate: He died suddenly in 1950, leaving behind an island deeply different from the one he had found on his arrival.
Did he die by eating a bad Lobster!?

He apparently died in February 1950, according to the "Local" Newspaper Pacific islands monthly 20 (No. 11); here, top of p.37:
Heinrich Kuper was a resident of the island of Santa Anna in the Solomons, before and after World War I, until his death in February, 1950.

He was a keen naturalist, ...
One small step forward ... ;)

Björn

PS. Heinrich (Henry) Kuper (alt. Küper) died 8th of February 1950, death note (here).
--

Last edited:
So he must been born around 1880 (or 1879) (as in your link is written born 70 years ago in Hamburg).
Note: " ... more than 70 years ago."

Maybe in 1878? Or even earlier ...

Who knows?

This far I wouldn't´t say more than: Heinrich Küper (d.1950), in the Salomons a k a Henry (or Henri) Kuper ...

In Records of the Auckland Institute and Museum here extract is written in the footnote:

Bernatzik (1935: 7-13) devoted a chapter of his book to Henry or Heinrich Kueper, who came originally from Hamburg.

Maybe this publication from Hugo Adolf Bernatzik is able to enlighten us? I think the publication is:

Südsee: Travels in the South Seas. Translated by Vivian Ogilvie. Constable, London

Maybe this publication from Hugo Adolf Bernatzik is able to enlighten us?
The original title is simply Südsee (Mit 66 Fotos), Bibliographisches Institut, Leipzig, 1934 ...which I think is this text, here and here ... in a somewhat different (very flowery/fruity!) Layout.

I had a look at that one earlier, but couldn't´t find anything additional on Mr. Küper (but that´s from what I can tell, it´s all in German).

Martin, maybe you can find something?

Next try. In Der geraubte Schatten: eine Weltreise der ethnographischen Photographie here they wrote:

Albert Kuper ist von diesem Bild seiner Eltern besonders stark betroffen, denn er stand als Knabe daneben, als die Aufnahme gemacht wurde. Ber- natzik hatte die Eltern gebeten, zu spielen, wie sie sich das erste Mal vor 18 Jahren am Strand

and

In Honiara erfüllt sich auch meine geheime Hoffnung dieser Reise. Die Begegnung mit Albert Kuper, dem jüngsten Sohn der Gastgeber meines Vaters vor einem halben Jahrhundert, offenbart mir die Vielschichtigkeit des Kulturwandels - und

If he is still alive (which I don't know) it might be worth to ask him. but it looks like he died 1997 in Honiara here. But I am sure you have already seen this.

Last edited:
I can live with not knowing more than: Heinrich Küper (died 1950), born in Hamburg, anglified into Henry (or Henri) Kuper (after arriving, and onwards, in the Salomons) ... etc., etc., with details and events as earlier mentioned in this thread.

If we´re to trust the Solomon Islands Historical Encyclopaedia in their claim that he; " ... maintained his German citizenship" (and I see no reason to doubt that certain detail) I would say his name was written Heinrich Küper – even if not used with that certain spelling at all, or only occationaly, in everyday life on those Islands – the umlaut later being droped all together by his Children, like (for example) as in the quotes in Post #10, Albert Kupert, his second Son, as well as by his Grandchildren, the latters are still around, quite a few of them, on the same Islands. That they talk of their Grandfather as Henry Kuper (he is mentioned, as such, in several texts published recently, in travel-blogs, articles of the Islands, on local trade, culture, etc., etc.) is nothing strange. Not to me, at least ...

Either way, I will not continue the search for Mr. Küper. He was only a side-track, in my MS and notes he´s barely mentioned (maybe he´ll be left out all-together, in the end) ... and I will stop here, there´s too many other obscure and intriguing etymologies in my pipe-line.

If anyone else feel like keeping up the search for Heinrich Küper, and this thread boiling, please do ... if so: Good luck!

Mr. Küper (on my behalf) ... over and out!

His newspaper obit tells us he was over 70 when he died and so 1888 is clearly wrong

The family geni account tells us that Heinrichs father was Martin Julius Gustav

Thus:

Heinrich Albrecht Gustav Küper
Mother: Johanna Auguste Caroline Hilbrandt
Father: Martin Julius Gustav Küper
Birth: 08/08/1877 Hamburg Hamburg Deutschland

Heinrich Albrecht Gustav Küper 8/8/1877-8/2/1950.

Heinrich Küper (d. 1950)

Martin, since we last had a look at this Topic the following Paper (linked to in your Post #3) is now accessible, in full:

Revolon, Sandra. 2003. Heinrich Küper: le Blanc dont on parle à mi-voix (Gupuna, Santa Ana, sud-est des îles Salomon) / Heinrich Küper: The White Man about Whom One Speaks Softly (Gupuna, Santa Ana, Southeastern Solomon Islands). Journal de la Société des Océanistes 116 (1): pp. 65-75 (here, all in French):
Peuplée de mille six cents horticulteurs et pêcheurs mélanésiens parlant le owa, une langue austronésienne, la petite île corallienne de Santa Ana est située dans la province de Makira, au sud-est des îles Salomon. Entre les deux guerres et jusqu’en 1950, elle abrita un hôte peu commun en la personne de Heinrich Küper, un déserteur et aventurier allemand originaire de Hambourg qui prit peu à peu sur la population locale un ascendant qu’il conserva trois décennies durant. ... and onwards.
If it tells us anything about his Birth I cannot tell. It's all in French ... but I don't think so (just starring at it). ;)

But maybe it gives you (or anyone else) some clues on where to search onwards, who knows?

His wife is mentioned as:
Quelques mois après son installation, Küper voulut épouser Kafagamurironga, fille d’un homme éminent du clan Gafe, l’un des ...

This far I wouldn't dare to trust that certain Ancestry page and the alleged wife "August ('Kanana') Kafagamurironga". Wouldn't August be a pretty odd name for/on a Polynesian lady/wife? But maybe she was born in August ... ?!

Compare it to its equivalent page on Geni (here).

And: Good luck!

Björn

Note that the Solomon Islands Historical Encyclopaedia 1893-1978 (see the link in post #1, or here) claims his wife as; "Kuper, Augusta Kafagamurironga (1890 - 1970)", which (at least to me) sounds a bit more probable/female, a k a 'Kanana' (mother).

Even if this Encyclopaedia clearly got the years of Mr. Küper dead wrong!

They also seems all unaware of the proper use of umlauts (u versus ü), and that she apparently was born "about 1890" (in text) ... sigh!

This (so called) Encyclopaedia sure should have needed some more vigilant Editors.

/B
-

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back