• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Birdwatching show for 2010 (1 Viewer)

Marmot

When looking at the TV Times today noticed that on the forthcoming series that Sky1 are doing a 6 part series in the new year. The series is called Bailey's Birdwatch after the presenter comedian Bill Bailey.

The write up says that him and other celebrities will be in various parts of the UK looking for rare native birds and glorious landscapes.

Unfortunatley where celebraties are concerned i fear we will be subject to ridicule by some of them. Did anyone see 3 men in a boat with Rory Bremner making for the Scillies. It had the making of a good episode until that little ***** Griff Rhys Jones took the piss...

I tried to find some more info about this, but most sites seem to be quoting the same stuff, however one site mentioned that it would "get teams with expert captains and the like and set them challenges and dish out forfeits".

I quite like Bailey and his humour is a bit out-there so while it sounds like a weird idea, hopefully he can pull it off. I'm sure we can all enjoy a birding programme that lets its hair down and has a laugh - as long as it isn't disparaging, I'm sure it'll be worth one watch at least. It would be good if the "celebrities" (oh how I hate that term) are people genuinely interested or at least keen to learn something new.

It would be good if the "celebrities" (oh how I hate that term) are people genuinely interested or at least keen to learn something new.

Problem is these days everything seems to revolve around "celebrities". Celebrity this and celebrity that on TV every night. I think a far better use of TV resources would be to have some-one like David Lindo (who hasnt made household celebrity status yet) taking under priveleged kids out and about and getting them involved in birding.

I'd be surprised if this programme's any good, because it's on Sky. Sky's very rare ventures into British-made programming tend to be disappointing, to put it mildly.

Sean

Problem is these days everything seems to revolve around "celebrities". Celebrity this and celebrity that on TV every night. I think a far better use of TV resources would be to have some-one like David Lindo (who hasnt made household celebrity status yet) taking under priveleged kids out and about and getting them involved in birding.

Sounds interesting but I am inclined to agree that celebrities present programmes whether they are interested in the subject or not. A bit of a failing of the great world of TV.

Anyway we shall see what the programme is like first, and then comment after. We will keep the assumptions at bay for the time being.

We have given up on Sky so it will be freebee TV for us. We still need to be set up, and want to take the cheaper way now with all the new technology appearing all over the place.
Wonder if there is another way to see the programme. Of course it may appear on mainstream TV too.

There's no pleasing you lot.

There's no birding on TV - moan, moan.
There's going to be birding on TV - moan, moan.

I'm off birding.

John

It's funny how it always seems to be southerners telling others to get out there......must be great to have a stable weather pattern!

He and Griff, and Dara O'Brain/Brian/Briain (never quite sure), and Griff was a bit of an arse when it came to the birding bit.

James

It's Dara Ó Briain, which I had to look up!

I actually thought that bit with Griff was quite funny, I've seen people a 'little' like that, the guy they were with really wasn't impressed though!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back