• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Field sketches (1 Viewer)

Thank's, Ulrike. I am trying my best to keep it simple, and always find it more easy when working outside. When the motive flies away - your finished!
Some are made in a sketchbook from Saunders Waterford, but the two last ones on Arches (the eiders on hot pressed and the gull on cold pressed).

A different kind of field sketching this time, it probably doesn't even qualify? I did some ringing this weekend, and took the opportunity to draw some portraits while holding the birds. I didn't want to hold the birds for long, so I made quick sketches, and added some color after releasing them. The birds look different up close, many of the markings kind of disappear, and the shape of the bird is also usually different from when you see it in the field. I found it hard to give them their right facial expressions, but it was an interesting session. The Willow Warbler looks wrong to me, and the bill of the Garden Warbler is probably a bit too heavy. The Tree Pipit is one of around 30 that I caught, and the variation was tremendous, both in markings and colors. It would have been fun to try and draw them all, but I felt that it was enough to put one of them through the ordeal...

Attachments

• håndstudier_0001 copy.jpg
    håndstudier_0001 copy.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 70
  • håndstudier_0002 copy.jpg
    håndstudier_0002 copy.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 77
You're so right about the way a bird looks in the hand, Oivind. Well-accepted field marks seem to dissipate and, perhaps, we are left looking at pure detail, instead of the overall impression a bird gives when moving naturally in the field (surely a lesson for all artists who may wish to portray birds, no?). The only birds I've ever held which still looked 'as they should' are waxwings and long-tailed tits.
Having said that - these are very beautiful studies. Shame you couldn't do the 30 tree pipits ;)

Beautiful, and I'm in total agreement with Tim on the detail versus overall impression thing. Very useful exercise though and a real privilege to be in such close contact with the living birds.

Mike

I agree with both of you. It is true that waxwings and long-tailed tits manage to look like themselves in the hand - I guess you might find the wryneck on the other end of the scale?

So, tomorrow I'm going for the Ural Owl at Borrevannet south of Oslo. It was seen today, so my chances ar fairly good. I had to do some youtube sketching tonight, just to be prepared. Lets hope I didn't jinx it. I admit,, I'm a bit exited ;)

Attachments

• slagugle3.jpg
    slagugle3.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 38
  • slagugle2.jpg
    slagugle2.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 39
  • slagugle1.jpg
    slagugle1.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 41
with sketches this good from video, who needs to go out! no seriously - hope you get it, fingers crossed for you, just spare a thought for me when I'm counting more coots in the rain before work.

Stunning sketches all of them Qivind! Wish you good luck with the owls
and I`m sure you gonna do your best!
Can`t wait to see the results..

Paschalis

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back