• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketching in the field - in Afghanistan! (1 Viewer)

Dave B

I belatedly just found out that my cousin, Rich Johnson (not the bird illustrator!) is back in Afghanistan for his third term as a war artist with Canadian peace-keepers.

You might find his tips on what to pack if you're thinking of doing some field-sketching in Afghanistan interesting, here.

His blog, with lots of sketches and an artist's view of the conflict, is here.

Not birds, but definitely field-sketching!

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for that, Dave - terrific blog. Regardless of personal opinions regarding the whys and wherefores of being at war, I've always been fascinated by this genre of work (war poetry included) bringing, as it does, a realism and personality to the circumstances which news-clips cannot. (My own personal favourite was Sir Stanley Cursiter or Orkney). Great draughting (not drafting - although that's another discussion point . . .) - hope your cousin stays safe and well.

Thanks for that, Dave - terrific blog. Regardless of personal opinions regarding the whys and wherefores of being at war, I've always been fascinated by this genre of work (war poetry included) bringing, as it does, a realism and personality to the circumstances which news-clips cannot. (My own personal favourite was Sir Stanley Cursiter or Orkney). Great draughting (not drafting - although that's another discussion point . . .) - hope your cousin stays safe and well.

Thanks Tim,

Yes, it's an emotive subject all right (just read a few of the responses to his posts!), but, for this forum at least, I wanted to draw attention to both the artistic challenge and role of what he does - both of which you have tuned into.

Thanks Tim,

Yes, it's an emotive subject all right (just read a few of the responses to his posts!), but, for this forum at least, I wanted to draw attention to both the artistic challenge and role of what he does - both of which you have tuned into.

Thanks Dave. Tim is right in that it brings a very different view of the conflict and the people involved in it. Hope your cousin stays well.

I wonder if anyone knows of John Singer Sargent's war watercolors. They're such a surprise when you go through a book of his watercolors and see so many sunlit beautiful scenes of wonderful landscapes then come across soldiers in camp, etc.

I wonder if anyone knows of John Singer Sargent's war watercolors. They're such a surprise when you go through a book of his watercolors and see so many sunlit beautiful scenes of wonderful landscapes then come across soldiers in camp, etc.

Indeed - and it is this apparent paradox which also features strongly in Cursiter's war pieces. The sunshine and warmth of the location and the death and misery of the conflict.

. . . now that puts my life into sharp-focus. Thanks Stuart; what with this and the Paralympics happening on the telly . . . my dodgy back and slightly arthritic fingers feel somewhat less painful this evening . . . . . . .

Brilliant. I love these journal type sketchbooks. The Armed Forces Art Society exhibition at the Mall Gallery often features work like this, I find it remarkable.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back