• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kestrels from my studio window.Life studies (1 Viewer)

mayoayo

Hi to everybody..Long time since i last posted any art in this section...my old threads are long dead,and i dont see many of the artists that used to visit the section posting much either these days,but i am gonna make a humble contribution with some of the studies that i have been doing lately.Most of my field studies in these ornithologically quiet days of the summer are done inside my studio,..yes..indoors field work..How?..well, through the window.!..i live about 75 meters away from the towns church tower,where live and nest a couple of pairs of Common Kestrels..with 6 chicks now starting to fly the adults are very busy hunting and they dont stay perched for long,as a matter of fact i havent seen anything but the fledging chicks for a few days,but in the previous weeks i was able to watch the adults resting and watching the nest in a number of ocassions,and i did a number of studies using my telescope..these are watercolor studies and in spite of the repetitive subject and postures,or perhaps thanks to this fact,i have been able to learn something with each attempt..anyway ,I am having fun,and consider myself very lucky to have been able to study wild birds from home.I will be moving to a different town in the next weeks,so this will be my farewell to the kestrels..
un saludo a todos...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
for some reason i cant seem to be able to attach more than one image in a post..so bear with me, ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 101
ok...first one was a study of the female,..second a recent sketch of the juvenile ,and these two last ones are of one of the males..these are all about A3...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 78
Thx.....now lets see if i can resize some the pictures..one at a time...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 91
i think this one is from last fall..or actually two seasons ago..same bird but she looked younger

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 76
I used pen or ball pen in some..ball pen i like to combine with watercolor because the ink is totally waterproof and easier to control...sometimes i start with bp and use watercolor to develop,and sometimes i use bp to rescue failed watercolor attempts...in anycase ,it is fascinating how the same birds can reveal themselves in so many different lights and presences

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 84
thanks for stopping by...a couple more ..some of these notes are quite minimalistic,if the birds keep posing i will get some of them a bit more developed....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 70
That's all folks,,,!...thanks for looking ,welcome to stop by at anytime..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 72
thanks for stopping by...a couple more ..some of these notes are quite minimalistic,if the birds keep posing i will get some of them a bit more developed....

this one really catches my eye- great stuff!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back