• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A rewarding day of birding. (1 Viewer)

IanF

Despite the dismal weather today, I still had a run through to Barnard Castle, County Durham. By the time I got there it had stopped raining so I had a walk up the woods alongside the River Tees.

The first quarter mile was disappointing with just a few ChiffChaff, Willow Warblers and numerous Chaffinches. On reaching the Bandstand I spotted the usual Grey Wagtails, Pied Wagtails, Dipper and Mallard on the river with numerous Swallows zooming about above it. A pair of Common Sandpiper were back again too. On the bank side were Song and Mistle Thrush along with the resident Robin.

30 yards along the path I looked up at the storm truncated tree where I have seen roosting Tawny Owls before and was very pleased to see a baby Owl sat precariously on a branch. It looked not long out of the nest hole which was 3' higher up.Tawny chick.

The day was looking up, so I carried on up the river. It was infuriating hearing several Wood Warblers, but I didn't actually spot one of them. Pied Flycatchers there were plenty of. Some seem to still be preparing their nests, but one pair which I think arrived earlier than the others were obviously sitting on eggs, going by the female appearing every 15 mins or so and the male bringing her back food every 30 mins. Whilst stood under cover watching them I had a close encounter with a Kingfisher which almost flew into my head. Particularly strange as I was stood 30' from the river on the edge of the path. Normally they use the river for navigation rather than a public footpath - short sighted or what. Five minutes later and my heart had stopped pounding from the shock ;)

I'd taken along my CD player with my Bird Song CD in place as on my last visit I thought I'd heard Redstart and sure enough they were there again but like the Wood Warblers I never actually eyeballed them. A shame as I do like to see rather than just hear birds.

Anyway I headed back down the river seeing even more Pied Flycatchers on the way. I met a local birder on the way and we shared information on what was about. We both agreed there are far more Flycatchers and Wood Warblers about than in previous years. He's a lucky soul to have had a pair of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers in his garden, but hadn't seen any so far this year. We parted company and I headed on down the river. Almost unbelievably after just having queried with him about the lack of Green Woodpeckers in the area I heard one calling! It's literally years and years since I last saw one in this area. Anyway a few minutes later I had it located on the far side of the river by the Gents Swimming Pool (an area of deeper still water). I'd just nicely got the scope on it when a couple of walkers with dogs appeared and off it flew.

Just as I was moving off I saw the Kingfisher fly past again and disappear below where I was stood. Knowing this to be a long standing nest site from when I was a nipper, I decided to make my way around to the Tank Field (guess what it was used for in War II!) and up to the Gents Swimming Pool, which not having my costume with me meant a walk of a mile to get there!

Half an hour later - I didn't rush ;) I was seated on the convenient fallen dead tree where the Green Woodie had been and which Swallows and Grey Wagtail occasionally graced for a few minutes rest. I set up the scope and sure enough the Kingfishers returned and soon gave away the hole, hidden by ivy. They always perched on the same sapling before weaving their way into the hole. What I took to be the male made visits every 20 mins or so. Sometimes it's mate came out of the hole to the sapling to receive the fish and sometimes he took it in. A shame the weather was so dull as I couldn't get more than 1/15 shutter speed no matter what I tried - Kingfisher.

Whilst sat there the Swallows and Grey Wagtails continued to return to within 20'. I guess they didn't see me with my green coat on with grass and bushes behind me. A family of Goosanders kept parading past too - Goosander. She had 12 chicks in all but try as I might with the rain returning I couldn't get a decent shot of her. A pity as the chicks kept climbing on her back for a free ride. When half a dozen were aboard she deliberately dived to get rid of them. It was amusing to watch.

Running short of time by now I decided to pop up to the upper level of the field, a bit late for checking on the nesting Lapwing and Curlew, but it seemed right that I should have a look, especially as the Green Woodie had disappeared in that direction. Sure enough they had long since moved on, but I did find what I took to be a Larsen trap containing a very distressed Crow. Whilst not illegal it was distasteful to see and I did my good deed for the day and released to poor Crow.

By then I was very short of time and so headed back to the car to end one of the most satisfying days birding this year.

Attachments

• P5081202ao.jpg
    P5081202ao.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Hi Ian really enjoyed your report, sounds like a quality day out, congrats on your photo captures, pretty good for such poor conditions. Really annoyed at myself for not paying a visit there myself seems as it is so local, grateful for directions for parking etc if poss.
Made the mistake of visiting Bempton/Flamborough on Sat took 2.5 hours the fog was horrendous, should of gone to Barnie!
See you around sometime!
Paul

Very enjoyable read Ian. That Tawny chick is a cracking photo!

Good job releasing the Crow, why would someone be using one of these traps?

Dylan.

Hi Dylan,

I don't know either ???

The trap I believe is used to trap vermin where they are a problem, but this field is acres and acres of grassland with a few trees scattered about. I suppose about 1 mile away is a gamekeepers pheasant rearing area which I stumbled across a few years back in very dense undergrowth. It may be an attempt to pevent the Crow population from attacking the nests / young. Unlikely though considering the dense mature woodland nearby and numerous rookeries. It has me puzzled as to why it was where it was.

I would have been tempted to smash it, bit naughty I suppose but I haven't had a ciggy for a week. :smoke:

Well written, Ian. I enjoyed reading the report and viewing the photos which by the way turned out quite good despite the low light.

Joe (in rainy Houston, texas)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back