• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell 7-15 Zoom binoculars (1 Viewer)

Tero

Retired
United States
I'm not really big on this binoclars angle to birding, but once in a while I try this and that. I was curious about these, and they seem to fit some travel needs, so tried them out. I was NOT going to pay a lot for zoom binoculars.

The binoculars I normally use are 10x25. I miss a few birds, would prefer 10x40 I think. THESE zooms are not as good as any 8x25 or 7x25. They are adequate at that 7x end and will help you find the bird. The rim is visible, because of the zooming effect, so the field of view is not as wide as you expect. The 15x end is good lin lots of light, not so great in dim light. They work OK looking across a field at some trees, some 100m away, and give amazing detail of a bird close by, even as close as 20 feet. Most use is either 7x or 15x, but to be ready you can keep them at 7x to find the bird, then zoom to as much as you need. In poor light, 15x is too far.

My main use for these is on trips that are not birding trips, but I want to bring just one pair along. They may be OK for some shorebirds that are not too far away. I have no problem holding these steady. They are some 11 or 12 ounces, about as big as a 8x25 porros. These are porros. Price around $50.

Useable, not ideal. I will keep these, though.

Last edited:
I would really miss the field of view and have such trouble holding high powered bins steady - but as you have found, they have their uses if you can cope with this.

Last edited:
Yes, some people will have problems, even when the high end producers put out a zoom binocular. And it will always be a compromise.

But I have to be the renegade here, go against established trends. ;)

There is one very high quality zoom binocular, the Nikon 8-16x40. The field is narrow, but the image is quite sharp even at the edge. I use it mainly at 12-14x for long range birding.

Last edited:
I saw some other Nikons in a store, they were pretty good, under $200 I think. I was not going to spend that kind of money just yet. Most of my binoculars are just enough for the job, easily replacable.

Of course, I did not get to try the Nikons outdoors. The 40mm ones seem to be
Nikon Zoom XL 7860 (8-16x40) and sell for $580.

Last edited:
Having used my cheapos for a while, I have to say the 7x end is pretty poor. So these are used in the 9-15x range to some advantage, but it is not at all like carrying 7x25s with you. My other 10 dollar 8x21s work better than these.

Not sure what would be the ideal range to cover in these 25 mm zoom binoculars, which Nikon also makes some models of.

OK, now I have changed my mind on the use of these. They are still of LIMITED USE. Optics are fine in these porros for clarity. But you get this weird tunnel vison, for 25mm binoculars. I have them in the trunk of my car, and try them out once in a while. But now I am only in the 7x to 9x end. My eyes are different, and the eye correction is too much to fiddle with over the entire range.

Summary: clear 7x binoculars, with occasional zooming use.

I have been using a pair of these for about a month and I love them, they just seem to fit me if you know what I mean, but I do agree on the FOV so now I am looking for something similar but a bit bigger, for now they are just fine.
Mick

After carrying all kinds of cheap roof prism binos around for a while (I can't bring my Nikon Sporters to work, for instance), these Zooms look better and better. I use them at 7x to 9x. If I am going out at sunrise or sunset, the eye cups are perfect for me, and there is no glare. The Nikon Sporters are slightly worse for that.

I wish they made them in 35mm size. But then they would not be compact porros.

Compared to other Bushnells, these porros are much sharper than the roof prism Bushnell models, such as 10x25. You actually see better and dharper at 7x than the others at 10x.

Hi Tero. I think you and me are the only users of these bins and I still like them after a month or so, used every day. If only the FOV was better, to my mind the only thing that lets them down. Close focus is good too.
Odd isn't it? before I came on here tonight I ordered a pair of Nikon Sporters from a catalogue.
Mick

Heh, then we have the same equipment. I was debating a lot with the Sporters on 8x and 10x. Went with 10x, as I am in wide open fields part of the time. Now maybe I need one more pair, just for fun and comparison. I plan to get some fairly cheap..not junk..porros with a little more FOV than the Bushnell zooms. Maybe some more Nikons or other Japanese make.

I started out woth Bushnell cheapo roof prism binoculars (see my 33c per bird thread). I have now moved on to Nikon Sporters, like Mick. But since even those are a bit too good to keep in the car at all times, the Bushnell 7-15 Zoom binoculars have become what I carry around a lot of times. They are pretty sharp at 7x, and if I need some more, I go to about 10x. They are my 2nd line to use. In rainy wether I use neither, but a cheap waterproof 8x pair.

I've had these for a long time. They are comfortable to use, so even though it was a mistake to get them in the first place...well, for 15x anyway...I still like them. Quite bright and sharp at 7x. Now I take them out in any weather, just keep them inside my jacket.

Why does nobody take a serious stab at a GOOD 7-10X zoom? I would be interested, even with the narrow FOV.

Tero said:
Not sure what would be the ideal range to cover in these 25 mm zoom binoculars...

My understanding is that they make pretty good targets for shotgunning!!

They fly reasonably well and will usually withstand at least a couple of direct hits...

Ideal "range" would be no further than 30 yds as they would be hard to throw much farther. They also would be difficult to hit at this distance as your shot pattern would have spread out too much.

;)

Tero said:
Why does nobody take a serious stab at a GOOD 7-10X zoom? I would be interested, even with the narrow FOV.

Brunton claims to have done so though, theirs is an 8-15x35. It also costs an arm and both legs ($1900.) I don't personally trust that they have been able to overcome the inherent design limitations of a zoom mechanism. Certainly not enough to put out that kind of cash. But, if it strikes your fancy, it's there for the taking.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back