• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's that for a local bird? (1 Viewer)

Reader

We are going to Spain tomorrow so I thought I would just put in a few hours at a wood about 60 miles from where I live. I have only been there once before and that was a brief visit.

First of all by nature of the bird I eventually saw I won't reveal the wood I went to as I should imagine that at this time of year I would assume that they must be resident there.

On leaving the woods car park I was immediately hit with a vocal chorus of birdsong and also confronted with many of the common birds flitting amongst the branches. Amongst these were quite a few pairs of Blackcap which were pleasing to see.

On my way around the wood an almighty racket came from deep within the wood and sounded like a couple of Jays having a go at something. Then a Tawny Owl could be heard within the same vicinity but as soon as I started to venture into the wood everything went quiet. I stood there for a while but neither Jay or Tawny Owl announced their prescence again.

Moving further into the wood I was astounded to come across a wooden tower built at the junction of about 6 paths and decided to climb it to see what was about. It is only big enough to hold two people but it had a seat and made for an excellent observation platform from which to scan the trees around it, plus the rides that branched off from beneath the tower base.

After an hour I had only seen the local birds plus heard a Cuckoo in the distance so went to climb down the ladder. As I reached the opening a raptor came out of the wood and circled about 50' above my head for a couple of minutes affording me excellent views of it. It was a Goshawk and the fact that it was within 6 miles from my house made it even more exciting.

Obviously when I am back of hols I will have to put some time into this tower to see if I can come across it again. Then again you never know but there could more than likely be a pair of them resident. Now that would be great to see a pair there.

A pair locally would be something wouldn't it. .. but whatever is there must be good for an obs tower to be in the middle of the woods.

Sounds good...one to keep returning to I'd say! Never personally seen a Goshawk even though they are present just up the road at Kielder Forest! Often planned to nip up there but as I'm not a driver yet I have to rely on hubs to take me...just wait till I pass my test!!! I'll soon sort out all those ridiculous glaring gaps in my Life List!!!

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Sounds good...one to keep returning to I'd say! Never personally seen a Goshawk even though they are present just up the road at Kielder Forest! Often planned to nip up there but as I'm not a driver yet I have to rely on hubs to take me...just wait till I pass my test!!! I'll soon sort out all those ridiculous glaring gaps in my Life List!!!

GILL

Gill
once you have passed your test your birdwatching will take on a new dimension. Just think of all the new places you can go to and the birds, once beyond you, that will now be in your reach.

I look back at the thousands of miles I have driven throughout my life and think about what I would have done without a car. I have seen some fantastic sights, both in nature and sightseeing, and its all down to being able to drive.

I know there are people that swear by public transport but tell me how you can get into remote places in foreign parts (or even on our shores) by public transport. You can't and thats the beauty of having a driving licence and the will to drive into unknown territory.

I hope you pass your test and you get to see your Keilder Goshawk, amongst many others. Good luck.

Reader,
I disagree with you but I'm biased as I'm a non driver. I don't think a car is necessary at all, although useful I'll admit. I'm a big believer in local patch birding and saw a pair of Wheatears today which is the first time I've ever seen them in my locality,so it's been an unforgettable day for me. A true days birding to me involves plenty of exercise.

I've been birding for about twenty years now and always used public transport...and it's been adequate for my needs...it's only in the past two/three years that I've thought that, at the grand old age of 36, perhaps I should think about learning to drive...the main reason being that both Neil and I hate living in such a built-up area and plan to move out to the more remote parts of Northumberland/Scotland or the lake district...being able to drive will make it easier for me when it comes to work.
In the past, when I was single and didn't have to consider anyone except myself, I used to hop onto buses/metro/trains etc without a thought...used to have copies of virtually every bus/train timetable going for the North-East! Used to set off at the crack of dawn, or before, and sometimes not return until well after dark! I think Neil would be a nervous wreck if I did that now!!! LOL
I started driving last year and, though rather slow at picking up the clutch control...I'm not mechanically-minded...I'm getting there! Things are starting to make sense at last! Haven't got a date for the theory test yet but I do have the books and am swotting up!
I'm looking forward to being able to drive and visit places like Holy Island and the more remote parts of Northumberland without having to sweet-talk Neil into taking me and bribing him with lunch in pubs etc! Will be fun I'm sure...but I'm sure that I'll also still use public transport as well!
I'm not planning on racing around ticking things off...I do like visiting St Mary's and Gosforth Park to watch even just the commoner stuff...half the fun of birding is in the comparing arrival/ migration dates etc of the various types of wildlife!

GILL

Osbourne

I would never disagree with any persons type of birding as that is what you enjoy. If it satisfies you completely then that is all that matters.

Me, I love travelling and seeing the countryside. I have been to places abroad that you wouldn't get within 20 miles of without a car. I have driven along reed strewn dirt tracks to find the most hidden places and come across birds you could only dream of. That in itself is totally rewarding.

There are places in Britain similar and you would never get close to them with public traffic. There are good birds to be had by getting to those places so why deny yourself.

Having said all that if its not your way of birding then your not missing it and no amount of preaching to you will convert you.

That is what birding is all about, personal preferences, and that is the way it should be.

Yes of course Reader. I should have made it clear that I have scant interest in lists. A car is crucial I imagine for any obsessive or even keen lister.
Looking from your perspective, I have been to some very remote places on family holidays which I wouldn't have been to without someone driving me there and as a result I have observed bird species which I couldn't possibly have seen without the car. Pure Rock Dove and Chough spring to mind. As you say my type of birding is restricted and I think that these are the only two true ' remote species' that I have ever seen.

Hi Osbourne

I do keep lists, there's no denying it, but I also love the pure simplicity of sitting in a local wood , or walking around a local reserve, and just watching the world go by. I have learnt to combine both aspects of birding. But as I said earlier that's me me not you. You obviously enjoy one style of birding and that is what it is all about. There is no point taking on a part of a hobby that doesn't capture your imagination if it is only to follow the throng.

Where I live, the southern end of Warwickshire, there are virtually no reserves and habitat, beautiful as it is, is devoid of anything but common birds. Large tracts of land almost appear sterile regarding bird life down here and I have walked many miles without seeing hardly anything at all. To me that isn't a pleasurable way of birding. For me to visit sites where I am likely to see anything half decent I would have to do a lot of travelling. Some of these sites can't be reached via public transport so therefore would have to be discounted.

It is easy for people to say keep local and go by public transport but places like the north east have a wealth of places to go. You have to consider that all counties are not as blessed as others and would struggle to get around.

I am off to Spain this afternoon with friends . We are staying in the mountains of the Costa del Sol where there is no public transport. We are also going to the Coto Donana for 4 days which is a huge area and virtually all dirt tracks. There is definitely no public transport around there either. Without using a car this holiday would almost be a waste of time as I would just be a tourist locked in a tight area.

Hopefully I will come back with a report of some good birds seen.

Hi Reader,
Of course, it is easy to get blase - I am surrounded by nature reserves for about five miles in each direction, all easily reached by public transport. So hence it is easy for me to bang on about local birding. However I do remember my childhood home ( when I had no interest in birds ). That part of County Durham is landlocked with no rivers nearby and no ponds or lakes either, just a few streams. Also that area has only one wood nearby and that is a small coniferous one with I'd guess limited interest for birds. So I know where you're coming from with hindsight ! If I still lived where I used to I think I'd find birding a bit demoralising at times, as I'd only have the common species at hand.

Well we are back from Spain. Birdwatched throughout by using a car, apart from where we stayed, but just look at what we got from our where we stayed.

Alpine Swift
Black Vulture
Blackbird
Blue Tit
Booted Eagle
Collared Dove
Common Buzzard
Common Kestrel
Common Swift
Egyptian Vulture
Golden Eagle
Griffon Vulture
Honey Buzzard
House Martin
House Sparrow
Linnet
Osprey
Pallid Swift
Peregrine Falcon
Raven
Red-rumped Swallow
Spotless Starling
Swallow

Now that isn't too bad for a garden list is it? Altogether we got 135 species of which 75 were new for this year. Apart from those seen from the veranda virtually none would have been found without a car.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back