• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on binoculars (1 Viewer)

Richard Newman

I would welcome advice on binoculars.

I currently use a pair of Bushnell H2O 8x42mm, which i find dim and difficult to use with glasses.

Your views and comments most welcome.

Thanks

Richard

Richard,

If the members knew how you use a binocular, woods, seashore, etc.; what time of the day and your price point, they would be better able to help. Is your difficulty with eyeglasses a matter of seeing the whole field? I read that the H2O is a rather low priced binocular but that it should provide adequate eye relief.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Richard
I had the same problem and have now settled on a pair of the RSPB FG binoculars, 10x42 size. I tried a great deal of bins before settling for them. Obviously price entered into the equation but I feel they are adequate for my needs. There is no noticeable difference between using them wearing my specs or not, once the twist up eyecups are in the correct position. The weight is not too bad either.
I tried several of the more expensive pairs and honestly couldn't justify the cost difference except with Swarovskis, their EL 10 x42's were excellent but unfortunately I haven't got that sort of money to spend on a pair of binoculars.

I find that that the smaller the eye piece is, the more difficult it is. This is a matter of your glasses and facial features, so just try a bunch of models. Roof prisms generally easier. Also, with glasses on, I gently push from below with the eye cups on my eye sockets, towards the top, as that is the only area of my face the bins touch. Near the eyebrows. Otherwise they slide around.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back