• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon LP-E4 battery replacement for 1D Mk IV (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
I need to to get a spare battery as a replacement for the original Canon LP-E4 battery.

I've used third-party batteries in the past with almost any camera I got, including the 1D MkIIN, but now, after browsing the internet and reading about issues with third-party batteries, I'm rather confused and would like to know what other 1D MkIV users have done so far and with which results.

Thank you very much.

I've used a variety of batteries over the years but keep coming back to the Canon ones 'cause they are the most stable. But the caveat of course is that they are expensive...

Since the LP-E4 is no longer manufactured, you'll have to get the LP-E4N. I'm getting about 1900 shots on my 1D4(s) and there's still about 20% capacity.

Thank you Chris for your reply.
Did you experience problems while charging the new -N batteries with the old charger or you are using a new charger as well?

Did you experience problems while charging the new -N batteries with the old charger or you are using a new charger as well?

When I briefly ran the 1D4 and 1DX alongside each other I found the batteries and chargers to be interchangeable despite Canon's claims that the LP-E4n wouldn't fully charge on the LC-E4.

When I needed a spare battery I bought a couple of VHBW brand ones. They have less capacity and the 1DX does not recognise them (I think the 1D4 does) - but who cares they were 1/10th the price! They work and charge just fine for me!

Last edited:
Last edited:
I bought a Hahnel HL-E4 Battery for my 1D4 and when I sold the camera I kept it for use with my 1DX. You get the message that it can't communicate with the camera when you switch on the camera but the only thing that doesn't work is the charge level indicator which does't matter to me. I have never really thought about performance because I haven't noticed a difference in any of the three 1D batteries I have owned.
The Hahnel is priced at £99 at WEX compared to £129 for the LP-E4n. There is one customer revue which is negative but personally I have nothing but praise to sing for mine.

Thank you Dave.
Just a question: did this battery communicate with your 1D4 camera?

Strangely I think it did! I bought a 5d3 later and decided on another Hahnel,albeit different size one, for that body and the camera couldn't, no wouldn't communicate but again , I'm not bothered. It's a decision that Canon must have made to try and sell more of their horrendously expensive accessories.Strangely though the Canon branded battery chargers for each size battery indicate when both types are fully charged!

I have a Energizer CA-LPE4 battery as a back up to go with the Canon LP-E4, this charges well and communicates with by 1D mk 1V you don't get the length of use from this but not a lot of difference. This battery will recalibrate on the 1D4 charger.

Hope this is some help

John

I have a Energizer CA-LPE4 battery as a back up to go with the Canon LP-E4, this charges well and communicates with by 1D mk 1V you don't get the length of use from this but not a lot of difference. This battery will recalibrate on the 1D4 charger.

Hope this is some help

John

Thank you John.
Length of use is not a major concern - I do not expect a third party battery to be on par with a genuine pack, as long as it works properly and do not fall dead after a short time ...

Sorry to be late in getting back to you... I don't monitor BirdForum as often as other sites... I've had zero issues with the "N" battery on the old charger.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back