• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

raptor ID,Alicante province,Spain,last week (1 Viewer)

DOC REED

On a day when had osprey,Booted eagle and thousands of hirundines migrating over villa,this raptor flew over high and fast.My initial impression was sparrowhawk,broad winged and too big for kestrel.Not so sure now though!Probably still sparrowhawk but would welcome any thoughts

It was between Denia and Xabia,within sight of Montgo mountain and hence close to cabo de San Antonio.Jules Sykes who lives locally has wondered about Hobby,and I did have one grounded by rain day previous to this.

hi doc,

wrong shape for hobby (long tail etc.) and wrong underparts pattern. a kestrel (very probably common) for me as well.

cheers jules!

Hi Paul

Actually I wondered about Hobby from your description and not seeing the photo until now. You did say you were sure it wasn't a Kestrel in the text.

However I am pretty sure it's a Common Kestrel

Lesser Kestrel is a very scarce bird here with only 2 or 3 being seen annually and usually further north around Valencia.

All the best Jules

Thanks all;seems likely kestrel then,just seemed too big in the field

Remember, size is the least reliable field mark (unless you have the bird in hand and can use a ruler) because it is confounded by our poor judgment of distance.

Niels

Hi Paul & Jules,

Good to hear from you guys - only ever-so slightly jealous of you off in Spain while I'm sitting here in the UK watching rain stream down the windows!!

Mind you, I was in Zermatt last week (which was decidedly so-so on the ski-ing front!) but did yield a nice selection of birds as is usually the case with late-season ski trips to the high places..... Lammergaier continues to elude but close views were had of Nutcracker, Snow Finch, Alpine Accentor and Alpine Choughs - these latter 2 species coming readily to mountain bars to scrounge food. In fact, any birder who desires these species could do worse that take up ski-ing!

Anyway - I see I've done my usual and gone way off topic..... Kestrels, yes, don't get so many of those around these here parts any more, but I do have a pair of Sparrowhawks who treat my garden as their own personal birdtable!

All the best.... Ray

Attachments

• Alpine Choughs(Zermatt).jpg
    Alpine Choughs(Zermatt).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 158
Cheers Ray !!

Good to know that the recession isn't cramping your style !Am always on the watch for a thread relating your next birding extravaganza !!

Take care

Paul

Thanks Jules
Feel a bit daft now,but it was moving fast and came out of nowhere.Niels is correct,size can be deceptive ! I least I didn't put it forward as a Sooty Falcon(private joke !!).

Cheers

Hope to see you in summer

Cheers Ray !!

Good to know that the recession isn't cramping your style !Am always on the watch for a thread relating your next birding extravaganza !!

Take care

Paul

Ah well.....sadly no birding trips on the horizon this year. My pal Brian has squandered his travel budget (for the next 35 years!!) on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to S America & the Galapagos.

Mrs R and I are heading out to Turkey for a week next month, so I wouldn't be surprised if the BINs & scope do see the odd outing, but it won't be a specific birding trip.

There is a bit of a gaping hole in the diary for Oct half-term though, so you never know....

All the best... Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back