• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bags for longer lenses? (1 Viewer)

BarryH

Anyone any advice please on a backpack type bag for carrying a 500VR F4 lens with a body attached?

If it's possible, I'd also like to put other bits n pieces in there as well.

Last edited:
Tamrac Expedition 8 works for me, d300, 500vr (with lens hood reversed, of course).

Plenty of room for other lenses, bins, etc.,

Bill

If I take out my lens in a bag with spare body, other lenses as well I find that my Loewpro Phototrekker works well and has a waterproof cover, which I assume all will do in this size n price range.
One word of warning, its easy to load it up as its a big bag which may become an issue if you're planing on doing a lot of walking.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Steve, the smaller, 300mm lenses have been heavy enough to carry around. I think I'll look for an old zimmer frame and attach everything to that. Probably even build in a tripod into the frame as well.

I believe, but I might be wrong, that ThinkTank have a specially designed bag for a 500/4, body, and laptop, that fits all the dimensions for hand luggage on flights. Might be worth looking into.

I believe, but I might be wrong, that ThinkTank have a specially designed bag for a 500/4, body, and laptop, that fits all the dimensions for hand luggage on flights. Might be worth looking into.

I think the Think Tank ( bit of a tongue twister there) Acceleration might fit the bill. You would have to have the lens hood reversed though if you have the body attached. I have the smaller TT Antidote whch will just take the 500 without a body and with the hood reversed but I only use it for carrying the lens on an aircraft and would not consider it for regular use.
The Think Tank range are well constructed and comfortable to wear, My biggest criticism is that you have to buy the separate laptop bag too, which I didn't need or want and the rain cover is a rather stupid idea too. Unlike many bags where it is attaced to the bag and stored in a separate pouch, TT's are a loose cover with a silly extension bit to cover your tripod too.
I tend to prefer to carry my 500mm lens attached to a tripod and over my shoulder for every day transportation, the bag has my other bits in.

I think the Think Tank ( bit of a tongue twister there) Acceleration might fit the bill.

Can't believe anything is a tongue twister for someone living in Wales;)

Thanks for the help, I'll have a look at the bag you mentioned.

Looks a good bag but unfortunately not available in the UK. Shipping costs and taxes also add a small fortune.

Thanks for posting the link.

Looks a good bag but unfortunately not available in the UK. Shipping costs and taxes also add a small fortune.

Thanks for posting the link.

Agreed !!!!!!!!

...or maybe the Kiboko bag from Gura Gear.

www.guragear.com

The Kiboko looks excellent but it's a shame that there are no UK stockists just to see what it would retail at here.According to their web they are selling direct for $399, you have to add at least $80 import duty plus any postage so its a minimum of £310 at todays prices and exchange. Given the lack of user information and the potential problem with aftersales it's a non starter in my book.
The main selling points can equally be claimed by the Think Tank Acceleration which is availabe here for £279.The TT is also a bit smaller ( when I tried one on I thought it was as big as you would want to manage as a daily use bag) whereas the Kiboko is slightly too big for some airlines specs. ( only a few cm's though) weight wise not much in it. TT bags are well padded, again without getting my hands on a Kiboko it's difficult to tell. Both bags allow you to tuck away the back straps. Both have the same detachable rain cover which I don't like.The TT comes with a separate lap top bag which I would prefer not to have to pay for...I don't need one !
For me the TT would win, it's a very good bag but not yet perfect.
I am interested in a new bag for my 500mm too so I am open to suggestions !

I am interested in a new bag for my 500mm too so I am open to suggestions !

I never realised it could be so difficult in spending my money, you find what you think is a good bag, travel to a shop to see it and then find it's not a stock item.

For me local shops only carry the smaller camera bags and having bought what I thought I'd got a fairly good bag in the Flipside 400 I bought one through eBay. Now because it's smaller than the advertised size I need to send it back and my seller, Fotosense at Bolton are very difficult to deal with.

I've had to go through the whole Paypal process to get them to take it back and I'm still waiting for a refund almost a month later.

My current shortlist includes the ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro, the Tenba Shootout Medium backpack and the Lowepro Photo Trekker.

My current shortlist includes the ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro, the Tenba Shootout Medium backpack and the Lowepro Photo Trekker.

I missed the TT Streetwalker Pro ! That would fit the bill perfectly for me.
Lightweight, at £120 the cheapest of the three. Available in the UK and comes with a lifetime warranty.Perfect for carrying my 500mm on holiday as it is within the airline carry on size limits.

The Tenba is the same as my TT Antidote, designed for a maximum 300f2.8 but might, like the TT take a 500mm at a push

The Lowepro Trekker is a non starter on weight alone.

Thanks Barry, you have solved my next bag problem if not your own !

I missed the TT Streetwalker Pro ! That would fit the bill perfectly for me.
Lightweight, at £120 the cheapest of the three. Available in the UK and comes with a lifetime warranty.Perfect for carrying my 500mm on holiday as it is within the airline carry on size limits.

The Tenba is the same as my TT Antidote, designed for a maximum 300f2.8 but might, like the TT take a 500mm at a push

The Lowepro Trekker is a non starter on weight alone.

Thanks Barry, you have solved my next bag problem if not your own !

Most of the wildlife togs I've spoke to in the US also use the streetwalker and all seem to be very happy with the bag. The weight is a good point in favour of the Streetwalker Pro.

Strangely enough, one sold on eBay last week for around £35. As usual I didn't find it until after the auction.

After some consideration I narrowed my choice down to Think Tank Streetwalker Pro vs TT Acceleration
I decided the Acceleration was an all round better buy as I can get both my 500mm and 300mm f2.8 in the bag together, as well as a body and a couple of other bits. Weighs a ton when fully loaded though so it will only be for special occasions when caught out and I need to protect both my lenses from the elements for example.
The Acceleration fits aircraft carry on rules but with just a 500mm lens in it, and the bag stripped of all it's extras, it still weighs 6.2 kgs which is more than charter flights allow.

More or less the same problem I had.

I eventually bought the Lowepro Photo Trekker, a really nice bag. Thing is, when I put in it what I think I want to carry, it's way to heavy. The bag's nearly 10lbs on its own without any camera gear in it.

Either that or I'm a ageing WIMP!!!

I'm now thinking again of the Streetwalker Pro, a friend in the US has started using one and is more the happy with his purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back