• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10X advice needed (1 Viewer)

Bill S

My name is Bill and I’m a bincuholic. I am new to this forum, having joined just a few days ago. So here is my problem: I have not bought any binoculars in over three months! I need a fix!

I mostly use 6.5 and 7X binos but I’m thinking of trying another 10X. I have tried four so far and none were satisfactory.

First was a Zeiss Jena Dekarem. I like this one pretty well but the 1980s coatings are not up to modern standards, the diopter setting drifts all over the place, and the construction is not very tough or weather resistant. I’ll keep it anyway, but not for birding.

Second was a Swift Ultra 10X42 Model 962 porro. It was spectacularly bright and sharp in the center, but had a small field and a relatively small sweet spot. It also had significant stray light problems.

Third was a Swift Ultralite 10X42 Model 762. It had a very pleasant view with a nice, big 6.6 degree field and a smooth, pre-weather-proofing focus. I thought I had found the perfect 10X rig until I discovered that it was completely debilitated by stray light.

Fourth was a Stokes 10X42 DLS. It seemed nice at first but the focus was too fast (for me anyway) and I had trouble aligning it to my eyes perfectly, which caused a CA problem. Also, it didn’t seem as sharp in the center as the Swift 962 and the view was not as easy.

So now I’m ready to try another 10X and need advice. I suspect that the 10X50 SLC would be ideal for me, since I wear glasses and like big exit pupils, but I don’t want to splash out that kind of money. Zen Rays are interesting to me since I’m very happy with the 7X36. Cameraland is selling Zen Ray ED1 demos for $300, which seems like a fairly good buy. A new ED2 is about $100 more. Is it worth the difference? Or is the new ZRS HD the way to go? The bigger field of the Zen EDs is attractive, but 6 degrees is probably fine if the field is pretty flat. I’ll likely have to do the “glasses flip” with all of these but that’s alright. I looked at a Leupold 10X50 and loved the bright, sharp, easy view, but the field was way too small. What else should I be looking at?

Bill

Hi Bill,
I'm not really a 10x guy--you have tried more 10xs than me. But one 10x that I think would impress anybody is the Nikon 10x42 SE. My brother in law has one, and I recently got to cuddle up to it some on a visit. Most 10x don't seem to have the snap of 7x or 8x to me. But this thing is awesome, keeps up with my 8x42 Zeiss FL, and with a near perfect edge to boot. If you don't need waterproofing, super wide field (it's 60deg apparent), and the sleek roof design, or course. Also, if you can find one, since they seem to be fading out of existence.

Uh, go Toppers!
Ron

I agree with Ron. Get a Nikon 10 x 42 SE!

I was using my 10 x 42 SE yesterday afternoon and evening and I kept wondering why I even used another 10X binocular! And I have and often use the Nikon 10 x 32 LX L and the Nikon 10 x 35 EII both of which are outstanding!

Bob

Last edited:
I have both 7x36 and 10x43 ZEN ED2 and an older version of ZRS. I can tell the difference between the ED2 and ZRS, wider FOV and more neutral color with ED2. I haven't tried the dielectric ZRS yet. It is presumably better than the older one from the reviews I have seen. Since you already have 7x36 ED2 and know the quality of it, you will not be disappointed by the 10x43 ED2.

StuartCSmith of birdforum mentions a Nikon 10x35 EII that he´s considering selling. See the Nikon thread. Superb binocular, my all-time 10x favourite among those I´ve owned (which included EL10x42!)

Bill S...
Absolutely, buy the Nikon Premier SE 10 x 42, before they are gone! I just ordered one today
form astronomy binoculars, they still have 1 left!

My 10x is the Pentax DCF ED 10x50 roof, which I really enjoy. It also comes in a smaller 10x43 size.

I hope this helps.

StuartCSmith of birdforum mentions a Nikon 10x35 EII that he´s considering selling. See the Nikon thread. Superb binocular, my all-time 10x favourite among those I´ve owned (which included EL10x42!)

Sancho,

I know two BF'ers who think that the 10x35 is the best EII.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Sancho,

I know two BF'ers who think that the 10x35 is the best EII.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood[/QUOTE

Arthur,
Ergonomics probably help it in that respect. It is longer but still quite compact for a 10 power porro prism. It balances in the hand better than the 8 x 30 and one's fingers don't get in the way of the objectives.

It is a well designed and good looking binocular. I don't know if it came first or if the 8 x 30 did.:t:

Cordially,
Bob

Hi Bill

As others have already said both the Nikon SE and E11 are amongst the best views you can find in a 10x
The E11 was once described to me by a friendly optics retailer (not specifically a Nikon dealer) as "the binocular i ask people to try who want an easy but great view"
I sort of know what he meant as my E11 10 x is one of those instruments you simply place to the eye and enjoy
Even though its only a 3.5mm exit pupil imho it never feels difficult or restrictive
I note your comment ref eyeglasses and this may be one thing you would need to personally try with the E11 as some say its eye relief is fine and others mention it could be marginal for some eye glass wearers

Regards
RichT

Hi Bill,
Try the Canon 10x42IS.
It is optically brilliant and the image stabilization puts the performance in a wholly different class.
It's also fully waterproof. Sells for about $1200 at Amazon.
Only downside is that it is pretty bulky, best carried on a harness or over the shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back