• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Calling all Bird Bloggers! (1 Viewer)

midlands birder

Do you suffer with few hit rates on your blog?
I do
So i thought i will start a thread here, because i did once advertise one of my posts on here and got 50 odd hits in a couple of hours which is considerably higher than many other of my posts.

But this fourum will be a place for Bloggers to share a link on their most recent posts, and hopefully :t: will enduce more people to view your blogs :t:

This may flump or it may soar ;)

First of all, my most recent post, reminents of summer on my patch: http://midlandsbirder.blogspot.com/2011/11/patch-birding-hangers-on.html

MB

back in 2008 i ran a blog for Stithians Reservoir. Used to give the latest news and people would send in images for the site. It started with a few hits a night and grew and grew as word spread. Eventually it was averaging 100 or so hits a night. One particular evening after a Bittern and Great Grey Shrike had been found it had just over 1000 hits. (Unique, not page loads)

Unfortunately the site self imploded on itself as it just got bigger and bigger and i closed it down. Some nights it would take me over an hour to do the site.

A lot of the photographers down here have now started their own but most of them dont really intrest me. To assist beginners i have started it up again last month however i have made changes - No followers section, no commens and no links to personal blogs (exccept Kane Brides). It takes a few minutes to do the post as i dont get photo's anymore, as i have said - most have their own blogs now.

The site is aimed at the reserve and nothing but the reserve with any links being reserve and conservation based. I dont have comments as i find the perverbial "Great shot Tom", cracking image Cuthbert" comments tedious. There's extra pages with lots of images from 3 good mates of mine who are without doubt, 3 of the best photographers in the county

I try to write in a style that's about the reserve and the birds and not my own experinces/finds or personal trumpet blowing.

The site can be found here - www.cbwpsstithians.blogspot.com/

PS - How do i add a signature. I used to have one but can no longer work out how to do it.

Last edited:
The site can be found here - www.cbwpsstithians.blogspot.com/

PS - How do i add a signature. I used to have one but can no longer work out how to do it.

You can add a signature by looking in the BF banner(green one), click on user control panel, then onto somthing like edit signature, and there you go :t:

And you may need to edit your post so your blog address works, you have a comma just before blogspot which should be a full stop.
But thankyou for getting this forum underway! :t:
MB

You can add a signature by looking in the BF banner(green one), click on user control panel, then onto somthing like edit signature, and there you go :t:

And you may need to edit your post so your blog address works, you have a comma just before blogspot which should be a full stop.
But thankyou for getting this forum underway! :t:
MB

Comma changed. Thanks

I thought it was edit signature however i dont appear to have an edit signature box in the control panel

Comma changed. Thanks

I thought it was edit signature however i dont appear to have an edit signature box in the control panel

Odd!
On the left side of the control panel page is a colum with links and the first one should be the edit signature?
If its not there you may have to contact the mods:t:
MB

I'm having the same problem as you Midlands Birder!

My blog link is in my signature! Or here:

http://youngbirderdiary.blogspot.com/

Alex

I am a real fan of you photographs Alex, and i dont see why you only have 3 followers, your photos really are great! and you deserve a few more followers than that!
Keep it up :t:
And youve seen more birds than me (in this country at least) and your two years younger than me! :( lol
MB

Last edited:
Do you suffer with few hit rates on your blog? .......

Do I suffer with few hit rates on my blog? I think that the question I would ask is "do I care that I suffer few hit rates on my blog", to which the answer would be usually no, occasionally yes.

It depends why you have a blog I suppose. My blog is a reflective diary of what I have done that day and I wouldn't expect it to be of any more interest to anybody else than a traditional diary. I get great pleasure from doing it, not only when I'm sitting in front of the computer, but also when I'm in the field because it spurs me on to try to get a few nice photos and to experience new things, but it doesn't really matter to me how many people read it. Hopefully people who find it will find it enjoyable and informative, but as with most people who write a diary, I don't really expect it to be read by others.

Now for a quick plug! Click here for my blog.

Colin

Do I suffer with few hit rates on my blog? I think that the question I would ask is "do I care that I suffer few hit rates on my blog", to which the answer would be usually no, occasionally yes.

It depends why you have a blog I suppose. My blog is a reflective diary of what I have done that day and I wouldn't expect it to be of any more interest to anybody else than a traditional diary. I get great pleasure from doing it, not only when I'm sitting in front of the computer, but also when I'm in the field because it spurs me on to try to get a few nice photos and to experience new things, but it doesn't really matter to me how many people read it. Hopefully people who find it will find it enjoyable and informative, but as with most people who write a diary, I don't really expect it to be read by others.

Now for a quick plug! Click here for my blog.

Colin

Tbh Colin, i do agree with you:t:, a blog is to put your point across whether or not people view it, but to start a blog you must have a desire to share your sightings with others (common or rare)? which means you want people to look (unless you use it for documentation of what you saw/specific dates/ and photos in the same place)
And i also agree on the point that it spurs you to take more photos (or in my case, also videos) of something that you wouldnt otherwhys take a photo of!
I generally dont really mind how many people read my blog, but after hours (and i do mean hours) of working on posts to find that your blog was only viewed by 2 people!, not just once but over and over again, it makes you just think is it worth it?, i have my notebook, and im sure i could create something to keep my photos in an order!
But i always end up going back to the blog. I like Blogging:smoke:
I started the thread to give people who really do want to have people view their blogs a chance to get a few more people looking, and birdfourum is a good place to get traffic from!
MB

Here's a shameless plug for my blog then. It's nothing to shout about but it's just about me and maybe a couple of mates mostly doing local birding. I've only got one follower :-O. Still, I don't mind because I know a few who do look in from time to time. There might be the odd naughty word too ;). You'll see it just below this post.

Some nice blogs you all have :t:

Would love to share my blog (mostly 'bout insects, but birds get a fair share of attention too), but unfortunately it is not very friendly for international audience since the texts are not in english. :-C
Of course you can just look at the pictures if you like ;)

Last edited:
Hi

Good idea Midlands Birder.

I'm originally from the Midlands but have been living in Yorkshire for the past 12 years. I work as an ornithologist and my blog has a mix of stuff from my personal birding/twitching adventures and includes some of my work stuff with the occasional review etc. A mixed bag I'd say.

Take a look here: http://awbirder.blogspot.com

Cheers, Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back