• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Simple Birding List software advice please (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I have benn birding for about three years and started making simple bird lists recently on Excel. I have shown bird name, month seen and where. So far I have only birded in UK and a little in Florida. Next year I am off to Lesvos.

I would appreciate some advice as to a fairly simple and not too expensive birding list software that I can keep up to date without hours of input.

Cheers

For UK lists, you could use BTO Birdtrack, this will keep your list and also your sightings are sent to the county recorder so the information is put to good use.

There is also Jeff's Database which you can get from here it needs Access but Jeff has now included a runtime version of Access if you don't already have it. I've used this for some years now and have no complaints at all about it. In fact when Jeff updated it a year or so ago he included my suggestion to include the ability to use the BTO codes to input bird names.... saves typing loads of letters.

Baron...I have had this question too and finally realized that what I am using with Excel best suits my needs. I have no reason to have it on the Internet and like the idea I can be off line and still view my birds and list.

On my excel I have it listed by bird category(example Bananaquit and Tanagers), bird common name (example Green Honeycreeper), columns by section of the United states or world I found the bird and I merely place an asterick so the columns are small, Notes, year found....and lastly I have links on my excel document to images I have taken on camera ( try to select the best 2-4 images and place them as a link which merely shows on excel as an asterick again but linked to my photo file).

I color code the entire thing so each bird category row(s) are one shade of colors so it has an appealing look to it when I view it. See my example JPEG image of an excel document attached.

I find this to be the best that fits 'me'....and I am the only one that counts.

Attachments

• Excel snap shot bird tick example.jpg
    Excel snap shot bird tick example.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 115
Baron...I have had this question too and finally realized that what I am using with Excel best suits my needs. I have no reason to have it on the Internet and like the idea I can be off line and still view my birds and list.

On my excel I have it listed by bird category(example Bananaquit and Tanagers), bird common name (example Green Honeycreeper), columns by section of the United states or world I found the bird and I merely place an asterick so the columns are small, Notes, year found....and lastly I have links on my excel document to images I have taken on camera ( try to select the best 2-4 images and place them as a link which merely shows on excel as an asterick again but linked to my photo file).

I color code the entire thing so each bird category row(s) are one shade of colors so it has an appealing look to it when I view it. See my example JPEG image of an excel document attached.

I find this to be the best that fits 'me'....and I am the only one that counts.

Its definitely a case of what works for you. I have just started using the Jeffs Database which is free and maintained By Jeff a birdforum member.! I am going to give this a go for all the detail and the varied reports it can provide. In addition I will create a master list of the Briitsh Birds on Excel, ticking each one as soon as I see one that year. This will then give me a list showing what I havent yet seen and thus what to search out.:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back